Cult discussion and hello!
Posted by: FreakyChakra ()
Date: February 16, 2011 06:51AM

(my apologies if this is the incorrect topic, I didn't notice a more appropriate place to post this)
Hello there! I recently became fascinated with the process in which cults grab peoples attention and gradually proceed to wipe their brains of everything they once knew just to have these beliefs replaced with that of whatever the brainwasher sees fit. It is not only disconcerting, but sad beyond words that many people fall victim to this grievous methodology on a regular basis.

This was first brought to my attention when I began discussing the "equal money system" with DarrylWThomas on youtube. He began to explain the system to me, and when I pointed out a concern he immediately called me anti-human, anti-life, an elitist, and said I'm trying to make my bones on the backs of others. This raised a red flag for me, sounding exactly like a conditioned response, I've dealt with many religious people who behaved similarly. Sure enough, after looking beyond this silly political theory, I found a plethura of outlandish ideas, mainly based around "portaling" Hitler who turned out to be a pretty nice guy and ended up joining the Desteni cult (Hitler is also Bernards hero, and he forces everyone to shave their heads. Coincidence?)

Anyways, it amazed me the people that were involved in this. For example, I looked at some of Darryls content on youtube and posts on this website and he actually seemed pretty intelligent. For me, this proved that it's not just weak minded idiots that get sucked into this brain washed drivel. If anything this just proceeded to scare the living shit out of me, because nobody is safe from this.

What's to say that we aren't being victimized by this on a regular basis? If regular people all over the world are brainwashing thousands upon thousands of people by themselves what is to say these tactics aren't being used on us by more influential sources? (E.G. The government, media outlets, institutions, etc.) Why isn't there any discussion on this? Just out of curiosity.

Anyways, a friend of mine insists that only stupid weak minded people fall victim to this. How would one go about explaining this to someone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cult discussion and hello!
Posted by: Sandman ()
Date: February 16, 2011 09:28PM

Hello FreakyChakra,

Many well-educated, highly intelligent people get involved in cults, and for different reasons. For example, having been impressed by the methods of a particular group leader, they might get involved to pursue their own agenda for wielding power within the inner circle of a given cult. They may be over-idealistic and see the group they've joined as fulfilling ideals they have subscribed to for several years. They may be intelligent but socially or psychologically maladjusted or simply be individuals attached to certain odd beliefs with a tendency towards dogmatism. Just because someone's smart and educated doesn't mean to say they can't be conned or manipulated.

Brainwashing techniques may be used by less obscure or more powerful agencies, not just New Religious Movements, sects or cults. Robert Jay Lifton's classic study of brainwashing, Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism
[www.culteducation.com] and the Eight Criteria for Thought Reform emerged from research into the totality of the Chinese communist ideology.

There is some discussion of tactics used by the media, commercial businesses, governments etc at the Cult Education Forum under other headings but the "Cults," Sects, and "New Religious Movements" section deals with mainly those types of controversial groups or movements.

As re: Desteni, if you'd like to discuss that particular group please feel free to contribute to the Desteni thread.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.