Response to the Father Ephraim visitor comments
Posted by: yukomka ()
Date: January 18, 2011 05:20AM

I have been Father Ephraim’s Holy Archangels Greek Monastery frequent visitor for over than 6 years. Based on my experience and impression I would like to oppose the “Father Ephraim visitor comments” posted on this site.

Being born and raised in Eastern Orthodoxy of Russia for over 30 years I can say that this monastery is very similar to all other hundreds of Eastern Orthodox Monasteries. If you walk in Russian monastery you will find exactly same rules: monks are strictly obedient to Geronda and they do not answer visitors provocative questions. You will hear monks talking about other men who succeeded in prayer and fasting. The monks will be praying all the time to Jesus including nights and early mornings according to old tradition. There is and there have been “free” labor for hundreds of years. Every monk entering monastery gets his area of responsibility, and he does not get paid. This type of life and rules has been there for hundreds of years, and it is described in multiple Eastern Orthodox books written by respectful Eastern Orthodox men. The rule about provocative questions like the one about showering time should not raise a concern since it is also common in US: no big business would allow employees to talk to media without previously contacting PR department.
Maybe from a Western educated skeptic standpoint the Monastery does not fit Eastern Orthodox idea, but for those born and raised in the Eastern Orthodoxy this place is just like heaven because of strictly followed traditions.

On the other hand Orthodox Church of America has lost some traditions and became very lenient going along with people’s comfort rather than Orthodox traditions. For instance women do not wear scarves in OCA, and they are not reminded to properly confess to the Father before taking Communion. People can take Communion right after they had sex with boyfriend, or after heavy breakfast! To many Eastern Orthodox members loss of these traditions seems to be devastating.

I have never heard from those monks that marriage is dirty, but I heard the opposite. For the monks marriage means leaving their monastic life which is something different.

No one is captured in the Monastery - there is a public phone and the gates are opened during day. The monastery is in a long walking distance form a highway.

Visitors are welcomed, and no one gets brainwashed like they do it in real sects. Only if you ask question they may answer it, but no one gets to you with leaflets like the J.Witnesses for example, getting on your nerves.

At the end I want to say that I understand why people left such comments about the Monastery. The reason I see is that it is something not natural and traditional to the environment they grew up. For people born and raised in the States the rules might seem to be too strict. Imagine someone in US going to school for 11 years where there is no teacher-over-student dominance, and in general there is no father-over-son dominance. Then if such student enters one of the traditional Orthodox monasteries the rules of obedience would seem to him close to cult.
Nevertheless I would like to say that the atmosphere in the Monastery is filled with love, or at least it is what I feel there. I wish God made the way for this love to enter many other peoples’ hearts too. Don’t listen to anonymous comments, go and see and feel for yourself.

Yuliya K., Russia/US

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Response to the Father Ephraim visitor comments
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 18, 2011 05:37AM

To whom it may concern:

The Father Ephraim monasteries have garnered substantial criticism and controversy over the years.

This has concluded complaints from former participants, affected Greek Orthodox families, Greek Orthodox clergy and critical news reports.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

Questions have repeatedly arisen regarding the Ephraim's recruitment approach and how participants are retained.

There have been repeated allegations of cult-like "brainwashing" techniques.

No other Greek Orthodox monasteries have generated a similar an identical pattern of repeated complaints and controversy at this Web site.

Date: January 18, 2011 07:34AM

Than you for your answer.

After visiting different Orthodox churches and monasteries in US and reading media information I found that for some reason churches with some lost traditions therefore more lenient are welcomed more. For example one priest changed the Liturgy process by implementing "kiss each other" ceremony in the middle of the Liturgy. This seems OK with Clergy. Churches carrying strict traditions are not welcomed and considered close to cult in the democratic environment. Not everyone is able to handle the rules which may seem harsh.

In any Russian monastery you will find the same rules and style of life as in Father Ephraim's monastery. I say so because I had visited both and learned out of experience. In many Russian Monasteries you would not be able to talk to Geronda either. Rules of dwelling vary somewhat, but major traditions and ideas are kept.

If you enter any one of Russian Orthodox monasteries you will find that they teach to get farther from the family too. This is why they entered the monastery - get closer to God without being distracted. Reading memories of monastic lives you find that most of the monks left their families, but they have never been held away in case of family emergency for instance.

I would say that if Father Ephraim's monastery is a cult then the rest of Eastern Orthodox monasteries and churches in Russia had also been a cult for centuries. How could that be? Is it a war against traditional Orthodoxy?

Date: January 18, 2011 10:25PM

yukomka:

Attempting to attack Greek Orthodox churches that you thin have "lost traditions" and are "more lenient" won't change the facts about Ephraim. But it does illustrate how judgmental those influenced by his group may become.

Thank you for openly and publicly acknowledging that Ephraim's rules "may seem harsh." People should understand this and decide accordingly whether to participate or support such a "harsh" leader.

Again, despite your apology that "if Father Ephraim's monastery is a cult then the rest of Eastern Orthodox monasteries and churches in Russia had also been a cult for centuries," no similar complaints concerning Greek Orthodox monasteries have come to the attention of the press that I have noted and certainly none have been sent to the Ross Institute.

But the Ephraim complaints do continue and have been coming in from affected Greek Orthodox families and clergy and past participants for a number of years. The news reports also reflect the same pattern of complaints and problems with Ephraim's leadership.

Fortunately, since there are so many Greek Orthodox monasteries that have no such history of complaints anyone interested in Greek Orthodox monastic life can easily finds viable alternatives to the controversial Father Ephraim and his monasteries.

Date: January 19, 2011 03:21AM

Dear Moderator:

I would like to correct your misinterpretation of my words about rules being harsh. I said "they may seem harsh" which means that people are different, and what is easy for one person may seem to be harsh for another, just like anywhere else. To me personally the rules did not appear to be harsh, they are traditional rules of monastic life. I was surprised to find a statement about those monasteries being a sect or a cult since I never saw monks worshiping Geronda, but only talking about him.

Please forgive me if I appeared to be judgmental - I was trying to be descriptive about situation. Some Orthodox churches have lost few traditions that Eastern people are accustomed to, and it is a fact. I have no right to say if they are good or bad, but they are now different from traditional because the old rules are not reinforced there. There are plenty of churches with new rules, and other churches follow strict traditions and it is a free choice of mature person to choose between all of them, you are right.

Date: January 19, 2011 03:32AM

yukomka:

You were judgmental.

Now you are trying to walk back your previous remarks.

One of the complaints about Ephraim is that he generates a kind of "spiritual elitism."

However, the fact remains that only Ephraim's monasteries are generating the complaints, bad press, etc. previously cited.

The "other churches [that] follow strict traditions" are not generating similar complaints and attention.

Again, this means as you have acknowledged, that there are "other churches" and monasteries following "strict traditions" that those interested may choose from without becoming involved with Ephraim.

IMO given the options a mature adult would choose the less controversial churches and monasteries.

Date: January 19, 2011 04:03AM

Here is interview with the victim

[www.athosinamerica.org]

Date: January 19, 2011 04:26AM

yukomka:

This is only a response to one complaint and there are many.

What the link demonstrates is that Ephraim and his supporters feel it is important to offer an apologetic response regarding the history of complaints and controversy surrounding Ephraim and his monasteries.

Again, fortunately there are many other Greek Orthodox churches and monasteries, which you have acknowledged are viable alternatives without such a track record and need to apologize.

Why pick a controversial group when it is not necessary?

Also, what would you say Father Ephraim and his monasteries have done wrong?

Can you name some examples of things that might be improved?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 04:37AM by rrmoderator.

Date: January 19, 2011 04:48AM

yukomka:

The link you offered is at times very telling.

Within the apology the monk in questions says, "What my parents in this criticism of the system of the spiritual father are saying is, in effect, that to make spiritual decisions you need a 'trained conscience' based in that fragmented, godless moral system of modern life. But the only 'trained conscience' from an Orthodox perspective is a conscience trained by the Fathers and Canons of the Church. The conscience of the Church is expressed through those clergy and lay people who have reached illumination and deification. It is they who perpetuate Holy Tradition and also create Holy Tradition, according to Metropolitan Hierotheos."

I have spoken with the parents of this young man. They are both Greek Orthodox and have no quarrel with the Greek Orthodox Church. They questioned the influence and control of Father Ephraim over their son.

Interesting that he would interpret their legitimate concerns in this way.

Other parents and Greek Orthodox clergy have raised the same issues. And I have also received complaints from visitors to the monasteries and past participants in its activities.

Anyone reading this apologetic response to concerned parents should not the pattern of the response. There is no responsibility for anything placed upon Father Ephraim and his monasteries. Blame is placed on the family instead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.