Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How To Get out of Limbo?
Posted by: Tiredofthis ()
Date: December 01, 2010 05:26AM

I'm really getting tired of this.. floating feeling all the time: how can i get out of limbo like where i'm not really in time?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How To Get out of Limbo?
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: December 01, 2010 05:56AM

It sounds as if you are dissociating, to me. Are you under a doctor's care, first of all?

Date: December 01, 2010 07:31AM

zeuszor
It sounds as if you are dissociating, to me. Are you under a doctor's care, first of all?

Yeah i go through periods of rather troubling dissociation, particularly so because i'm a university student, sometimes i just zone out and i'd be looking at text i need to study and the words would be like swimming in front of me, just bad focus. I often have to reread sentences, i rarely get the meaning the first time: i had trouble concentrating in lectures before because my head would be at least partially elsewhere. No, i'm not under a doctor's care..you think i should be or something?

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: December 01, 2010 08:06AM

Of course. Is there a counseling center at your university to which you can go, and through which you can obtain a referral to a doctor? Chances are, there is. Go get some help right away.

Posted by: OutofTransition ()
Date: December 02, 2010 06:48AM

You might also want to talk to a neurologist about this as well--it could be that you are having temporal lobe seizures. It's not uncommon with temporal lobe epilepsy to experience and be aware of impaired consciousness during the seizure. At any rate, you definitely need to be under a doctor's care. In my case, my temporal lobe epilepsy wasn't discovered until it progressed to grand mal epilepsy. I am very lucky that I was not behind the wheel when it happened. Now my seizures are completely controlled and I don't have any problems.

Date: December 05, 2010 02:36PM

I guess if i need to be under a doctor's care than millions of people around the world who've read "the Power of Now" need to be as well, unless for some strange reason i'm the only one of that group who's been experiencing these effects.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: December 06, 2010 05:51AM

'I guess if i need to be under a doctor's care than millions of people around the world who've read "the Power of Now" need to be as well, unless for some strange reason i'm the only one of that group who's been experiencing these effects.'

Tiredofthis,
People are individuals and react differently to different stimuli. How any individual reacts depends on many things, past experience, sensitivity, being caught at a vulnerable time. It is not about judgementalism, or a question of who you are as a person. Many people are not willing to describe the effects they experience in the way that you have, they suffer in silence.

Take care of yourself first right now, and get some real world help.

Posted by: OutofTransition ()
Date: December 06, 2010 09:00AM

I have not read "The Power of Now" so I am not qualified to comment on it. I highly doubt, though, that it or any other book is what is causing your difficulties. Anna Sewell once called ignorance "the worst thing in the world next to wickedness" and said she did not know which caused the most harm. And from personal experience I tend to believe her. I had a person in my church tell me--with a straight face--that the reason I developed epilepsy is because I liked to listen to rock music, particularly the song "Stairway to Heaven" because it has the line "Your head is humming and it won't go."

Years later, when I read Karen Armstrong's "The Spiral Staircase", I recognized the spells she described as being similar to mine. Unfortunately she was also in an environment that was not willing to consider the possibility that her "attacks" were caused by anything other than spiritual reasons, and it was not until she left the convent that she eventually went to a neurologist who diagnosed temporal lobe epilepsy. I could relate to her story because I delayed going to a doctor out of fear. At the time I was ignorant and surrounded by people who were equally ignorant, just as Karen Armstrong was. Now I am ignorant no longer.

That is why I am urging you to see a doctor. Suffering in silence helps nobody and can even do a great deal of harm. And don't let anyone try to guilt trip you that it was because of something you read or listened to or saw--all that does is delay your recovery. Take care.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: December 06, 2010 10:01AM

Its important to not jump to conclusions about any serious issue along these lines.
If anyone has issues that are causing problems in their life, they should always seek some input from trained professionals in person.

Its like if a person has a physical pain in their abdomen, self-diagnosis is not an option, it could be anything or nothing, and if not treated it could be a serious situation.
It not about being under the care of a doctor, but just getting a correct diagnosis from a trained professional.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: December 06, 2010 10:07AM

As well, just reading a book is probably not something that directing causes anything.
But trying to practice dissociation all day everyday for weeks and months and years, could very well create serious problems for some people.
Like an LGAT seminar, the STRESS can trigger psychosis in some people.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.