Re: Byron Katie, The Work Foundation Inc, EIN 87-0559189
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: August 30, 2009 02:28AM

As far as the non-profit and for-profit companies, and how they can INTERACT in terms of business, of course that would have to be determined by investigations by the proper authorities, one assumes like the IRS.

As shown in this thread, there is/was a non-profit
The Work Foundation Inc, EIN 87-0559189 [forum.culteducation.com]

And there clearly are more than one for-profit company, there could literally be dozens of them, or more. [forum.culteducation.com]

But where are the Form 990 The Work Foundation Inc, EIN 87-0559189 posted on the BKI websites?
Every reputable non-profit openly posts their Form 990, so everyone can see exactly what they are doing.
As shown above, some of what they are saying is not true, unless they have changed policies? Where is the Form 990 for proof? Someone needs to get those 990 forms for every year and post them.

For example, they say "There are no salaries paid through The Work Foundation".
Is that true? In 2006, it says Josh Baran was paid $10,000. What's up with that?
[forum.culteducation.com]

But notice the other TRICKY language they use:
[www.thework.com]
- "Thank you for making it possible for The Work to spread....events in countries just discovering The Work"
- "Your donations keep the helpline available free of charge, and make it possible for those generous with their time to be met with necessary expenses to travel throughout the world."

They have made it part of their mandate now to spend "non-profit" money to spread The Work to "EVENTS IN COUNTRIES". What is that? Sounds like marketing and promotion? And money to pay for flights, hotels, travel, etc.
And now they are going to use Foundation money to finance the "Hotline".
And also more TRAVEL and EXPENSES for their chosen people to travel all over the world.

Those are sweet words for those in the know....WORLD TRAVEL and EXPENSES.

So the key is to get the most recent Form 990 for The Work Foundation Inc, EIN 87-0559189, and have a look at exactly where all the money is going. (take a wild guess why they don't publish this form on their website, like every other reputable non-profit?)
Anyone can access the form here, and repost the details in the thread. They have to make that information public.

GUIDESTAR
[www2.guidestar.org]

And as asked before, where were all the CASH GIFTS going?
Did they go into the non-profit? How could they, as they numbers for the Foundation would be way too low. And did anyone get a non-proft tax receipt for their "gift"?

Or was it processed as corporate income, those "gifts"? If so, were people aware of that, or were they told something else?
Or was it just treated as personal income? Or something else?
Who knows, its all a mystery.

The only one who could ever know would be Uncle Sam.

IRS Complaint Process For Tax Exempt Organizations [www.irs.gov]

Meadow

Just being curious here. Are companies allowed to be for-profit and non-profit at the same time?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 30, 2009 02:44AM

Note that every REPUTABLE non-profit openly posts their Form 990 for every year, right on their own website, so anyone can see where their donated money is going. [money.howstuffworks.com]

Why aren't the Form 990 for every year posted on The Work Foundation website? [www.thework.com]
There doesn't even appear to be a seperate website for The Work Foundation, that specifically lists exactly what they are doing. Why not?

Everyone must give the Form 990 to any donor who asks.
Why do they not openly post all of those numbers?

One should never give one dollar to any so-called "non-profit" who doesn't OPENLY POST all of their information and all of their IRS Form 990 for every year, openly on their website.
Otherwise, you have no idea of where your donations are going.
For example, there are some so-called "non-profits" who use your donations to fund travel AND "expenses" for their own people and family to travel all over the world.
That is called a tax-free paid vacation, and all they have to do is have a few meetings in Hawaii, or Nepal, or other exotic locations.
The loopholes are outrageous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 02:51AM by The Anticult.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and
Date: August 30, 2009 03:22AM

As a general comment, if a person is attending some type of seminar, and they get emotionally hyped-up over many days into believing they are making some large "gift" that is going to a "registered charity"...
So they hand over some large gift, but they don't receive an official tax-receipt, then that "gift" did not go to that "charity".

Where did it go?
It doesn't matter if the "gift" is cash, a Rolex watch, a diamond ring, computers, gold-bling, or anything else.

Always check with an expert...
...but it would have to be declared as income by the for-profit seminar company, or some type of personal income.
If not, if that "cash" just went into someone's fireproof safe in their home, or if the gold-bling was converted down the street at Crazy Harry's Gold Exchange into CASH CASH CASH, then whoever did that could have some very serious "issues" with Uncle Sam and the IRS.

So if a person made some large "gift" to any organization while at some seminar, and they did not receive a tax-receipt, or any receipt, then what happened to that "gift"?

IRS Complaint Process For Tax Exempt Organizations [www.irs.gov]

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: Christa ()
Date: August 30, 2009 03:44AM

Pilot
Now this might be a dumb question, but-was this meant to be available to the public? Was it leaked ??

There are no dumb questions. But if there were...

It's a leak. Hence, wikileaks.com.

This is an insider level of craaazzeee, reserved for the fully entrenched. The facilitators' livelihoods depend on Katie's caprices; they've drunk the Kool-Aid.

Well, obviously not all of them.

If Katie acted like this during the free introductory lectures, the Turnaround Houses would be empty.

Posted by: Meadow ()
Date: August 30, 2009 04:18AM

The Anticult
But notice the other TRICKY language they use:
[www.thework.com]
- "Thank you for making it possible for The Work to spread....events in countries just discovering The Work"
- "Your donations keep the helpline available free of charge, and make it possible for those generous with their time to be met with necessary expenses to travel throughout the world."
So how do they explain the following:

Institute for The Work, 'Do The Work Helpline Caller Information':

You must call the Do The Work Helpline directly. No collect calls will be accepted.
Institute for The Work, 'Facilitator Certification Program Brochure':

G. Do The Work Helpline Facilitation (130 hours) This is the opportunity to pass along what you have received. The Helpline is a way for the world to give you everything you need. The Helpline is a full on “I am willing to”, “I look forward to.” Completion of a second School, six months of the One-for-One curriculum, and completion of the teleclass “Improving Your Facilitation Skills” are required prior to applying for the Helpline. Once a candidate is approved, their Helpline facilitations, which are scheduled on their own time, must total a minimum of 130 hours.
Institute for The Work, 'Do The Work Helpline Approval Process Information for Candidates':

Certification program participants who qualify will become a volunteer on the Do The Work Helpline as a part of their certification training.
They claim that donations keep their helpline available free of charge, yet it is mandatory manned by volunteers as a part of their training, and callers pay for their own calls. The helpline never costs them any money anyway. This is another example of how they mislead their trusting and donating followers with false stories.

Posted by: N. Owis ()
Date: August 30, 2009 04:30AM

I found this post on Janaki's blog, as a response to someone who called her a drama queen:

Reading this blog, as compared to the Katie blog, who is the drama queen?
Katie turns mild physical ailments of aging, into a dramatic life or death drama which serve as marketing for her business.

Katie has spoken about how she gives non-judgemental acceptance to an active criminal pedophile who says he is currently abusing and committing terrible sexual crimes against his own daughter, and they don’t report this to the police, to save the child from years of abuse.

Meanwhile, if one of Katie’s own people says anything that Katie doesn’t like, then this person is attacked, smeared and blacklisted. What happened to the non-judgemental acceptance?

About the pedophiles, how can facilitators sleep at night, having full knowledge a young girl is being terribly sexually abused by her father, and they are not reporting it, and allowing it to continue.
In many areas it is mandatory, or legally required, to report child abuse and neglect.
Does anyone know more about BK giving non-judgemental acceptance to an active criminal pedophile?

Posted by: Meadow ()
Date: August 30, 2009 02:17PM

TarSpiel
Meadow
Byron Katie's last twitter post:

Forgiveness is discovering that what you thought happened, didn’t. You realize that there was never anything to forgive.

Oh my God, when will this woman ever listen to her own advice and live up to it? These are no more than spiritual marketing blurbs that don't mean a thing.

How would you define "forgiveness" then? Are all definitions susceptible to being labeled a "spiritual marketing blurb"?, and if not, if you have the one true definition on what forgiveness is, then do share.

As I understand BK's point here, forgiveness means letting go of the feeling of being wronged. Doesn't mean you weren't wronged, but it means letting go of the crappy feelings that attach to that memory/experience.

You are right, I wasn't very clear in my post. I meant to say: These marketing blurbs don't mean a thing when they are mere words, and when the speaker of these words makes it so obvious she is not putting them into practice herself. Your definition of forgiveness could very well be right, and so could BK's.

But if statements are being handed out like candy, and not being lived up to by the person handing them out, then to me they are definitely only spiritual marketing blurbs. They have no value if they are just words that serve to depict their author as a 'wise and spiritual' being, and thus trying to get people to buy her products and make (large) donations.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and
Posted by: N. Owis ()
Date: August 30, 2009 08:44PM

The Anticult
So if a person made some large "gift" to any organization while at some seminar, and they did not receive a tax-receipt, or any receipt, then what happened to that "gift"?

from an earlier post (March 24, 2009 01:16PM) :
There are some tweets, that there is an in-joke about Byron Katie’s private estate being nicknamed "Lodona Lane"...the in-joke being that "Lodona" stands for ‘loving donations’. (The estate is apparently located on Longhorn Ln, Ojai CA. There appears to be an estimate of $1,759,500 for the estate.)

Posted by: TarSpiel ()
Date: August 31, 2009 02:20AM

Meadow

But if statements are being handed out like candy, and not being lived up to by the person handing them out, then to me they are definitely only spiritual marketing blurbs. They have no value if they are just words that serve to depict their author as a 'wise and spiritual' being, and thus trying to get people to buy her products and make (large) donations.

Fair enough.

For the record, I teach religious studies at a community college in California, and have been interested in religion my whole life (all kinds of religion). And I've been very impressed with the level of insight embedded in BK's approach to these things, and also impressed at the level of positive results which are on clear display in Youtube videos of her actually doing it with people. There doesn't seem to be much of anything that could be considered "cultish" in the work itself. In other words, I think her teaching works very well.

I don't know much about the "for-profit" hoo-hah that surrounds the business part of what she's doing, and some of the things I've read on here about the seminars sound strange to me. I don't think I'd ever go to one of her events, but I most definitely appreciate the power of what she teaches. I'm happy to buy her books.

Posted by: TarSpiel ()
Date: August 31, 2009 02:33AM

N. Owis
Does anyone know more about BK giving non-judgemental acceptance to an active criminal pedophile?

I personally would consider this sort of thing to move in the "drama queen" direction. Pursue it out, and you have to end up believing that BK's deep agenda is to promote pedophilia (and then things like alcoholism, suicide, divorce, etc etc). I don't get that feeling from her *at all*.

It's clear that she's approaching these issues in a way that's fundamentally different from the way people normally think about them. The question is, does her approach actually work? From what I've seen, her approach does work in some ways...it seems to be a very powerful way of dealing with very troublesome issues.

I'm not a BK shill...I'm ultimately more interested in religious wisdom literature. But I can't really see anything wrong with her approach...and certainly not to the degree that she's promoting something like pedophilia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.