Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: July 08, 2009 06:43PM

Holy moly. Thread views here between yesterday morning and today: 606.

!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 08, 2009 07:37PM

Carlos B,

'Many come away drowning in shame and believing they simply weren't up to the task dropped onto them by the cult leader.'

Further to my previous response to your comment, I have had immense struggles with feelings of shame. It has been helpful to me to distinguish between guilt, which is my conscience (or better self) telling me that I have behaved badly or shame which is the feeling that I am intrinsically wrong and worthless. I aquired massive shame in childhood as I got the impression, from what was going on around me, that I was a worthless individual who did not deserve to exist.

Making someone feel so worthless is a common tactic of all bullies and manipulators. Cult leaders rely on shame in their followers to keep them in line. It is good to be able to recognise when someone is attempting to shame you and taking whatever steps necessary to make sure that you do not buy into the tactic.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 08, 2009 09:39PM

"Book him, Danno". (From Dragnet)

Message to The Anticult:

Your mailbox is full, homie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 09:41PM by corboy.

Posted by: kassy ()
Date: July 09, 2009 12:10AM

Anticult, I didn't say it wasn't damaging. I said I didn't know whether they were damaging. I said the book was helpful for me. [...] I'm not saying that anything about her organization because I don't know. Stoic, from what I read makes a pretty clear case. As I said, I'm not interested in Large group (LGATs).

[...]

"""Then moving into a defense of the "legality" of the group and a defense of the company and those who work there.
This from someone who read a book on Byron Katie? Now they know everything about BK and the BKI company?
As if. """

What you guys described didn't sound like it violated the law. That's what I was going on. I didn't hear anything about violence. I read the same insider info you guys are talking about, the article on this website, her books, I've surfed the internet for information about her. I don't have $1700 to fork over for an LGAT (anyway). But I can afford $20 books. And if she is the enlightened sage, why would I be interested in being part of something where I don't get direct contact with her. The coaches aren't enlightened. For all those reasons I don't think I make a very good agent for BK's merchandise and events. It did say though on their website that the seminars were free, but what you guy say suggests they cost alot?

[...]

"""So the WARNING is out there. There are extreme BK fanatics, who are ideologically indocrinated, and also financially motivated, to try to twist people's minds into such a mess, they can't think clearly anymore.
Just trying to create confusion.""""

Even if this happens, there has to already be confusion. If someone isn't confused, they wouldn't let someone manipulate them like that. The antidote is to remove your own confusion, then no one else can confuse you.

[...]

Moderator Note: Flaming and off topic rambling has been edited out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 12:33AM by rrmoderator.

Posted by: kassy ()
Date: July 09, 2009 12:32AM

"""Kassy then tries to distort the SPECIFIC TECHNIQUES being explained, by trying the tactic that has been tried over and over, to use MISDIRECTION. By saying its some type of "MAGIC" and trying to distort what is being said. When the FACTS are the opposite. There is no magic or witchcraft. Its specific techniques being used by Byron Katie at her seminars. So again, its a deliberate conscious misdirection. Misdirection is a lie. Its a deliberate lie, to misdirect away from the careful techniques."""

That's why I was asking sarcastically what her techniques are to persuade. All I've seen as I've repeatedly said is the Youtube and Google Videos. So please enlighten me so I don't get duped by her methods? I didn't see it, taht's why I asked about magic or witch-craft? Certainly you could put a secular spin on it, and say it's some secret mind control technique. But maybe you are referring to something real and serious. I'm all ears. WHat are the techniques?

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 09, 2009 12:39AM

Ignore the hecklers.

Dont stop the music.

Here's another Golden Oldie--the Aikido Handshake

[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 09, 2009 12:39AM

Kassy:

You really fit the pattern of an "Internet Troll" and don't seem to be here about anything other than an argument to amuse yourself.

Many of your posts have been deleted and you are now very close to be being banned from this message board.

The manipulation of LGATs is often called "coercive persuasion."

See [www.culteducation.com]

This is quite different from other forms of persuasion such as education, advertising, propaganda and indoctrination.

Mass marathon training otherwise known as an LGAT has produced the same pattern of problems over and over again.

You don't seem seriously interested in this information, but there are the links to educate yourself.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Blogging
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: July 09, 2009 01:11AM

Thank you, RR.

I feel it is important to say something about a discovery one of us made pertaining to some recent postings. I am not going to name any names or provide any links re this, but I will say that it appears somebody here has thought they have pulled a fast one over on us.

Why? Heaven knows.

Below is an excerpt from a recent blog entry made by someone who appears to have joined in the recent BK discussion(s). Please note that I have bolded one part of the blog entry for emphasis, since it very much pertains to this message board.

A few weeks ago, my hobby was introducing 3-d images into Google Earth at different size scales. If you are interested you can page down, because they look pretty awesome.

Another book that my mom sent me was Mystics, Masters, Saints and Sages. Though I haven't read much what interested me was the sages included, which did infact include Ramana Maharshi, Robert Adams, Yogananda, and the second one I looked at besides Maharshi was Catherine of Siena. The state that this priest biographer from centuries ago described her as having was errily like Maharshi. Sometimes she was so deep in union with the divine, or God that people could not physically rouse her from her state. And it sounded identical to Maharshi. They said wisdom poured from her lips. From my experiences sainthood is real, enlightenment is real.

This was relaly brought home to me in my twenty second year. I don't know what caused it, smoking salvia with some hippyish folks, the idiots guide to yoga, all my intense autistic related insecurities, but my 'mind' opened so deeply and I saw so many other aspects of reality supernatural but truly real. I now take for granted. And which brings me to another hobby. I like to argue about things. Like I go occassionally to forums. I went to the Cult Education Forum recently and argued for no good reason with people who claimed Byron Katie was a manipulative cult leader. Only because I enjoyed the intellectual stimulation and saw another point of view.

I went to Richarddawkins.net and argued about nondual spirituality. Purly for an intellectual gratification, no other reason. Or to amuse myself by being outside what they expect. I don't care what others think, I'm not out to convert anybody. I don't even know what's true, and what I think is true is mainly so I can unlearn the little I do still hold onto. (lol) I think this makes arguing even funner and more stimulating. So it is kind of like picking a fight trying to out flank them by not being an easy target not having cliche arguments. Not being an easily defined opponent and shocking them when I change up, like change up pitches in baseball, like subtle moves in martial arts.
From where I sit, this individual appears to be quite troubled, though not necessarily aware of it. I hope they will consider getting some professional help if they haven't done so as yet.

One other thing... if the person in question tries to delete the blog to cover themselves, fair enough. But please know that some of us here have taken a screen snapshot of the above-referenced bizarre admission. One never knows if one might need such information down the line.

I think I can speak for a number of us here in saying that we take this message board rather seriously; this topic is no joke to us.

Thank you.

Posted by: Christa ()
Date: July 09, 2009 04:03AM

corboy
"Book him, Danno". (From Dragnet)

Message to The Anticult:

Your mailbox is full, homie.

"Book him, Danno" is from Hawaii Five-O! Steve McGarrett said it to Dan Williams at the end of some of the shows.

This is pretty much the only old television trivia fact I know.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and random confusion technique
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 09, 2009 04:36AM

Thanks for turning up that recent info, that saves everyone a lot of time.
This recent internet Trolling episode, is actually very interesting.

and just to clarify, the trolling was coming from the poster here known as "Kassy".

Sometimes, for reasons known only to them, or some personal disturbance, a person will just go and post random stuff, just for attention, or nothing better to do, etc.
And notice also that they were being deliberately dishonest, and lying consciously many many times, and when called on that, they go hysterical with denial and trying to attack the person who busted them.
That is a universal response.

But what is interesting about this, is that a person just posting random, contradictory, mixed-up, unresearched, erroneous, dishonest mind-games...and endless conscious lies and misdirection...

actually comes out quite similar to the tactics used by some of the BK people!!

The Confusion Technique, is a real thing, its taught, and used all the time.
search Google for:

"confusion technique"

It had a proper use, but was then abused and twisted to take advantage of people.
Sales people also use a version of this, when they dump a lot of false "tech-jargon" on customers, to overload their minds.

So if a person is dealing with a person from one of these seminar orgs, and they are dumping a ton of random-confusion on you, then they are just messing with your head.
They could be telling dozens of lies, and when called on this, will swear to high-heaven that they are not lying, and attack you for saying so. They will never admit it.

So even a distraction like this can be interesting.
The reason professionals use the random confusion technique, and distraction, denial, lies, misdirection, is that it works.
AFTER they create the confusion, they then LEAD the customer to where they want them.

but basic critical thinking completely disarm their methods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 04:43AM by The Anticult.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.