Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: Jay Cruise ()
Date: March 29, 2009 09:51PM

Thank you for posting that video Christa. It gave me an idea.

Check this out. This is the basis of her theory:

The only time we suffer is when we believe a thought that argues with what is. When the mind is perfectly clear, what is is what we want. (Byron Katie)

quote.robertgenn.com/auth_search.php?authid=5802

We know about Suzanne Segal, but she also said in the Sunny Massad interview that she relates to UG Krishnamurti (california) who was a student of Jiddu Krishamurti. Do you notice anything familiar in Jiddu Krishnamurti?

Jiddu Krishnamurti conversation 1970
Sir, surely, is belief necessary at all? Why do we have beliefs? Probably because mostly you believe in something because you don't actually see `what is'. If you saw actually `what is', `what is' in the sense what is actually going on, both outwardly, in the outward phenomenon, and inwardly, then what is the necessity for a belief at all? You don't believe the sun is rising. It is there, and you have seen it. Therefore the whole problem of belief seems to me so utterly erroneous, it has no place with a person who is actually observing the whole structure and the nature of thinking, living, suffering, the agony of existence, the sorrow, and all the rest of it. Belief appears as a means of escape from the reality of `what is'.

So to understand actually `what is' one has to be rid of all these extraneous beliefs and fears, and hopes, and be able to look actually, not theoretically, not abstractly, but actually look what is taking place in the world outside, with all the racial conflicts, with wars, the division between religions - the Catholic, the Protestant, the Hindu, the Muslim, all the divisions have created such havoc in the world. And by observing all that one sees how this has come about because in oneself one is conditioned by society, by the culture one lives in.

[www.jkrishnamurti.org]

Jiddu Krishamurti devoted his life to inquiry into fundamental qestions, particularly of belief:

"We realize that life is ugly, painful, sorrowful; we want some kind of theory, some kind of speculation or satisfaction, some kind of doctrine, which will explain all this, and so we are caught in explanation, in words, in theories, and gradually beliefs become deeply rooted and unshakable because behind those beliefs, behind those dogmas, there is a constant fear of the unknown. But we never look at that fear; we turn away from it. The stronger the beliefs, the stronger the dogmas. And when we examine these beliefs--the Christian, the Hindu, the Buddhist--we find that they divide people. Each dogmas, each belief has a series of compulsions which bind man and separate man. So, we start with an inquiry to find out what is true, what the significance is of this misery, this struggle, this pain; and we are soon caught up in beliefs, in rituals, in theories.

Belief is corruption because behind belief and morality lurks the mind, the self--the self growing big, powerful and strong. We consider belief in God, the belief in something, as religion. We consider that to believe is to be religious. You understand? If you do not believe, you will be considered an atheist, you will be condemned by society. One society will condemn those who believe in God, and another society will condemn those who do not. They are both the same. So, religion becomes a matter of belief--and belief acts and has a corresponding influence on the mind; the mind then can never be free. But it is only in freedom that you can find out what is true, what is God, not through any belief, because your very belief projects what you think out to be God, what you think ought to be true."

[koios.vox.com]

He even founded the Oak Grove School (K-12) in Ojai, California, using his own form of inquiry so students can learn to question beliefs.

Get this J Krishnamurti died in february 1986 the same month Byron Katie claims to have had the cockroach episode that filled her with this amazing insight. That's funny huh?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: March 29, 2009 10:01PM

Jay Cruise
Get this J Krishnamurti died in february 1986 the same month Byron Katie claims to have had the cockroach episode that filled her with this amazing insight. That's funny huh?
Ooooo, how verrrry interrresting!

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 29, 2009 10:16PM

Folks, J Krishnamurti went around claiming he was not a guru.

I invite people to go and get a copy of Lawrence Shainberg's book, Ambivalent Zen.

Shainberg's father was interested in JK and took his teenaged son to Ojai to attend a J Krishnamurti lecture.

Shainberg described how K appeared on stage, seated himself upon a chair and then sat, silently for a long, long long long time.

All the while, people were gazing at him hungrily, expectantly.

The man who said he was not a guru, had arranged to make himself the focus of all attention. Hungry attention. Expectant attention.

It was guru theatre, but without brocades, without insense, without the guru label.

Kind of like that Margritte painting of a tobacco pipe, and underneath, the words in French, 'This-is-not-a-pipe.'

Please dont rely on me. Get that Shainberg book and read it.

As I also recall, in the book, In the Shadow of Krishnamurti, the author noted that K
behaved very much more obviously like a guru in India, amongst Indians used to making obeisances, and this was something that disturbed her father who acted in an administrative capacity for JK, and eventually led to their rupture.

The man who said he was not a guru, behaved as a guru.

Note: If you get and read Amy Wallace's memoir, The Sorcerer's Apprenctice: My Life With Carlos Castaneda, she tells how at one time Castaneda's inner circle destroyed and discarded books that Castaneda had used...a kind of housecleaning.

Among them were books on hypnosis.

Castaneda also had a genius for selecting as inner circle members brilliant and beautiful women whose boundaries were compromised and were tolerant of horrific abuse. He could spend years grooming and recruiting such persons.

Castaneda died in the mid to late 1990s. His territory was Westwood Village, Los Angeles, close to the UCLA campus. He confined his most egregious abuse to a tiny inner circle of people who could be counted on to keep mum. Several of these women vanished immediately after he died and are now presumed dead.

Devotees who have mythologized Castaneda insist that the women (the witches) 'burned from within' and went to some other reality to join Castaneda.

Given that Castaneda lived into the 1990s he might well have had time to pick up a few books on Ericksonian and NLP.

(Expletive deleted)

Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: March 29, 2009 10:30PM

corboy
Folks, J Krishnamurti went around claiming he was not a guru.

I invite people to go and get a copy of Lawrence Shainberg's book, Ambivalent Zen.

<snip>

Note: If you get and read Amy Wallace's memoir, The Sorcerer's Apprenctice: My Life With Carlos Castaneda, she tells how at one time Castaneda's inner circle destroyed and discarded books that Castaneda had used...a kind of housecleaning.
Omigawd, yesterday I was thinking about how my cousin's husband loves to denounce gurus but is a huge fan of Krishnamurti.

I had the distinct thought that Krishnamurti sure came on like a guru!

I'm sure my cousin's husband with his brilliant mind could and would argue vociferously against JK being a guru in any way.

I'm thrilled to report that Amazon has several copies of the Shainberg book for only a penny plus shipping. I've just ordered a copy.

My library has the Amy Wallace book. I've just reserved a copy.

I really need to soak in these critical views of gurus to help wash away all the cumulative effects the guru types have had on me.

Thank you again CB!

Posted by: Jay Cruise ()
Date: March 30, 2009 02:58AM

Anyway, the point is that Byron Katie did not spontaneously achieve perfect enlightenment in a halfway house attic. As i've said I don't even think she was at Hope House. The only two other options is that she has either studied or was taught.

Where did she learn her theory and where did it originate? Where did she come up with those four question and the turnaround that has made her so famous?

Her theory is very similar to JK and her method of inquiry is very similar to JK.

Her claim she received this enlightenment in the same month JK died I don't believe for a moment is a coincidence.

She is trying to say she was reborn or resurrected when the cockroach crawled over her foot. Suddenly she was a completely different person and did not recognize her husband or her children. Suddenly she knew "ancient wisdom" without having picked up a book. Great story although I doubt it would make a great movie.

Date: March 30, 2009 03:25AM

I am not saying she read anything by Bubba Da Free John, but believe it or not, in the 1970s, Bubba (who later took the name, Da Free John, and then yet laterwards took the name Adi Da Samiraj...)

He authored a book entitled The Four Fundamental Questions.

So people have had similar names and titles of stuff floating around in the ether.

Gurdjieff called his stuff 'The Work' .

Carl Jung, in his book, Memories, Dreams and Reflections, entitled the seventh chapter, 'The Work.'

Its part of what sociologist Philip Jenkins has termed 'the cultic milieu.' Lots of stuff floating around, people borrow from each other's systems, then find a way to brand their own stuff as unique.

Its a bit like watching fashions in clothing.

Many motifs eventually get repeated if one hangs around long enough.

Posted by: Meadow ()
Date: March 30, 2009 03:41AM

Jay Cruise
Where did she learn her theory and where did it originate? Where did she come up with those four question and the turnaround that has made her so famous?

[janakisstory.wordpress.com]

Date: March 30, 2009 04:08AM

Go to Chapter 23 --Ken Keyes on the link given by Meadow

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Jesus Christ II, Womanchrist
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 30, 2009 09:49AM

If anyone wondered how they were able to keep the book, A Cry In the Desert by Christin Lore Weber off the shelf, have a look at the copyright. Copyrights in the US can be searched here. [www.copyright.gov]
you can see that Byron Kathleen Rolle is also the copyright claimant for that book.

Wow, it must be hard to be humble, when you get a writer to co-write a book about you, based on her previous concept Womanchrist from 10 years before in 1987 [www.amazon.com] and then publish the new book A Cry In The Desert yourself, by The Work Foundation, and as co-author claim you are the new Womanchrist! (see record below)

Strangley, Losing The Moon does not come up in the copyright database. If there was no copyright, its amazing some ruthess entrepreneur hasn't grabbed the book, and republished and sold it.
Unless it was written by a ghost-writer?
Or published under another pseudonym? How many other pseudonym's were used? Can anyone find anything?

Check it out, there are several other titles listed under Byron Kathleen Rolle
- The work of Bryon Katie Rolle : heal thyself, know thyself. (1989)
- Nog's quest. (1997)

RECORD:
[www.copyright.gov]

Type of Work: Text
Registration Number / Date: TX0004494783 / 1997-03-05
Title: A cry in the desert : the awakening of Byron Katie / Christin Lore Weber.
Imprint: [S.l.] : Work Foundation, 1996.
Description: 214 p.
Copyright Claimant: Christin Lore Weber, 1940-, & Byron Kathleen Rolle
Date of Creation: 1995
Date of Publication: 1997-01-28

Variant title: A cry in the desert : the awakening of Byron Katie
Names: Weber, Christin Lore, 1940-
Rolle, Byron Kathleen

Nog's quest.

Type of Work: Entry Not Found
Registration Number / Date: TXu000809915 / 1997-05-27
Title: Nog’s quest.
Description: 14 p.
Copyright Claimant: Linda D. Rosenblit, 1958-
Date of Creation: 1997
Previous Registration: Preexisting material: What to do when nothing works by Byron Katie Rolle.
Basis of Claim: New Matter: new text.
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

Other Title: What to do when nothing works
Names: Rosenblit, Linda D., 1958-
Rolle, Byron Katie

The work of Bryon Katie Rolle : heal thyself, know thyself.

Type of Work: Text
Registration Number / Date: TX0003984155 / 1994-12-27
Title: The work of Bryon Katie Rolle : heal thyself, know thyself.
Description: 6 p.
Copyright Claimant: Bryon Katie Rolle, 1942-
Date of Creation: 1986
Date of Publication: 1989-12-07

Names: Rolle, Bryon Katie, 1942-

The Anticult
Good work, anyone can see the techniques and patterns even in this older book.
As mentioned in the book, Byron Katie went over literally every word in that book with a fine tooth comb.

They are pumping the EYE-GAZING technique even then, as mentioned. That appears to be her primary method. You can see the Suggestions right in the text, framing how people are to interprete her "eyes". They talk about the eyes "shining/blazing" over and over. Obviously, the human eye receives light, and does not shine! She took that from the new testament, in Revelation, where there is some similar talk about shining eyes, etc. The quotes are similar.

QUOTE from REVELATION 1:14: "His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire" [bible.cc]
(notice the hair color matches too! what a comedy).

So even back then, she was preparing her subjects before her first meeting, in the same way Stephen Mitchell and others do now in blogs.

there is much more here to look at, and to come back too...

but notice how Byron Katie makes Christin Lore Weber think she is Jesus Christ II? She knows Christin was a christian mystic, so she pressed that button with ambiguity, encouraging her to Project her WomanChrist idea onto her. But notice how she does it in a permissive way, asking questions, and allowing the subject to come to their own conclusion? That is much more powerful, and is well-studied.

With someone who follows an eastern Guru like Swami Muktananda, she did the exact same technique.

Jay Cruise
Anticult Katie's first book has a good example of the staring. In A Cry in the Desert author Christin Lore describes meeting Byron Katie and feeling like a mouse in a field being preyed on by hawk. This is obviously somewhat staged by the author under Katie's direction because the whole book is setting Katie up as Jesus beginning with this first meeting. She lays it on way too thick. It is written from the perspective of a new student which leads the reader through the authors reactions, inner emotions and finally onto these desired conclusions.

After pressuring Christin to expose her thoughts and fears and making her clearly uncomfortable she procedes to inject her philosophy into the student which begins with is "all the beliefs you've constructed.. are unnecessary.. only illusion.. Unlearn those beliefs."

From page 16:

All at once Byron Katie looked straight at me. "I'm Byron," she said and smiled.

Never had I seen eyes like that. Later Sandra called them "see-through." Someone else called her the "lit lady." I thought her eyes looked silver. To another they looked turquoise. The thing about which we all agree is that Byron Katie's eyes shine.

"I'm Christin." That was as far as I intended to go, at least untill I found out more about her.

She locked onto me. She seemed like a hawk, I later thought, soaring in on me, and no matter how I dodged she wouldn't let me get away.

"What are you thoughts?" She smiled and waited. What a strange question. Answering it could take all night - a lifetime, maybe. That's why I write books: My thoughts are manifold. I pour them out. Package them. Store them on shelves.

I decided to be careful. It's so easy to be fooled.

"I thought about that on the way over and decided that I want to learn." These were my words. I had actually thought: I'll just sit there and listen and learn. I'll only say something after I'm comfortable and then only if I really have something to say. I don't want to risk too much; I feel too fragile. I don't want anyone to know about the fear that popped out the other day.

"Ah, you are a student." She seemed pleased.

I wasn't a student anymore. I had graduated - lots of times. I had degrees. I had written books, taught classes, lectured, done all sorts of things. I used to be a student. Being called a student reduced me to a beginner in the work to which my whole life had been devoted. On the other hand, just the other day I had felt three years old and as frightened as if I had never learned a thing.

"You might say that," I admitted.

"Tell me your thoughts. What is it you would like to learn?" She leaned forward. Those eyes radiated. She looked like a female Buddha, but also like the hawk.

I started to feel like a mouse in a field. The hawk soared. "I would like to learn about fear," I blurted out. Caught in the open. No place to hide. The screech of the hawk; the shadow of the wing.

"Fear results from the belief that you are going to lose something or not get something you want. There is no exception to this, even as your ego attacks itself." So simple. But it felt like she was reading my heart. She said more, but I can't remember it. Her words hit home. I felt tears slip down my cheeks. My fears seemed childish but at the same time gripping. I was embarrased to admit them but felt powerless to escape them.

"Now tell me about your fears." She waited.

I took a deep breath. "Pretty much what you said. I'm afraid of losing what I love."

"And exactly what is that?"

My mind said no, you can't say your fear aloud. You can't admit you fear childish things. Only uneducated people fear such things. You know better. What will all these people think of you?

"In front of all these people?" I laughed a little, "These strangers?"

"There is only One. There are no strangers here." She spoke with authority. "Now, tell me your thoughts about fear."

I started blurting out a tangle of stuff that caused my heart to race even as my mind rejected it. I ended by saying I felt I was on a threshold of something, but if I stepped over, everything I had believed and accomplished all my life would be shown to be an illusion and I would lose myself. There would be nothing. I knew I was sounding crazy, hysterical. I felt three years old and about two inches tall.

"That's right," Byron responded. She assured me that yes, this would be the end of the world as I experience it. Her eyes blazed. Clean. A pure light. Indescribable. A combination of love and white heat that evaporates impurities. I no longer remember the continuity of what she said. When I try to repeat the words, they sound bland compared to the way they felt when she directed them to me.

"That's right," she said, "all the beliefs that you've constructed to protect yourself throughout your whole life are not needed, unnecessary. You are afraid because you think you are a body. You think you are a body, and you are afraid of death - afraid of nothing, only illusion, belief systems. There is no death. You are using you mind to scare yourself. To shame yourself. You cannot lose the ones you love. It is impossible. You are the one you lost. Others don't belong to you. But you obliterate them in your mind. You are the one who says they die. You are experiencing your own death through the thought. Your fears turn into realities, you create them, you materialize them. Unlearn those beliefs. Do you understand?"

"Who are you?" I asked. Her words sounded like a combination of New Age Jargon and esoteric wisdom. But my ming and its critical functioning felt bypassed. I believed her. Tears ran down my face, and I didn't bother with them. I'd never met a human being like this woman. In a flicker of memory I thought of those disciples of Jesus who came to him in wonder, asking the same question, and he simply said, "Come and See."

"Who do you think I am?" Byron Katie smiled at me. Jesus said that, too, didn't he? "Who do the people say that I am?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 09:52AM by The Anticult.

Byron Katie (the Work) and Nog's Quest, dissociation of reality
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 30, 2009 10:25AM

Nothing seems to come up for the Nog's Quest book by Byron Katie and Linda Rosenblit.

But there is a book from 1969, called Nog, by Rudy Wurlitzer. [www.amazon.com]
Check out the reviews...
- "The notion of a character who invents/chooses his "memories".
- "Reading "Nog" is a little like living in the mind of Zen monk strung out on drugs."

Wonder where they got their core idea and mythology, and perhaps some methods? whoops, better suppress that book too.
[en.wikipedia.org])
QUOTE:
"Nog is a psychedelic novel by Rudolph Wurlitzer published in 1969. Written in an experimental style, the novel is described by Atlantic Monthly as being effective at replicating "the slight and continuous dissociation of reality...normally achieved by using soft drugs to tinker with the nervous system."
[edit] Plot introduction
The novel follows the journey of an unnamed narrator as he meanders through life. The narrator makes very little sense to those around him, save a commune that seems to view him as a wise man. ...The role of Nog is not fully explained"

Nog's Quest seems to be the revised version of the out-of-print Byron Katie book..anyone have it?

What to Do When Nothing Works by Byron Katie Rolle

This site lists a few. [www.awakening.net]
Byron Katie
The Work: The Great Undoing

What to Do When Nothing Works:
The Manual for The Work

Losing the Moon: Byron Katie Dialogues on
Non-Duality, Truth, and Other Illusions,
Edited by Ellen J. Mack

Type of Work: Entry Not Found
Registration Number / Date: TXu000809915 / 1997-05-27
Title: Nog’s quest.
Description: 14 p.
Copyright Claimant: Linda D. Rosenblit, 1958-
Date of Creation: 1997
Previous Registration: Preexisting material: What to do when nothing works by Byron Katie Rolle.
Basis of Claim: New Matter: new text.
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

Other Title: What to do when nothing works
Names: Rosenblit, Linda D., 1958-
Rolle, Byron Katie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 10:37AM by The Anticult.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.