Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 20, 2009 11:30PM

Again, my hearty thanks to Pilot.

Anyone visiting Janaki's blog, read the articles--and do take care to read the comments.

At least one person has written expressing tremendous concern for a loved one. Janaki has written of people making severe and serious sacrifices of time and money, includng one man who who pulled together many thousands of dollars to attend a BK workshop just to be with her, not knowing she wasnt going to be physically present.

Downsides of the Work-Chapter 37 of Janakis blog:

37 - Downsides of The Work

[janakisstory.wordpress.com]

There are people who think they are doing The Work wrong, because they still get angry or sad. After all, Katie says she hasn’t gotten angry or sad since 1986, and she is the role model for The Work.

She also says that unless you love your enemy like your dearest friend, your work isn’t done. These are lovely words, but they paint a picture of what you should look and be like in order to reach the final destination.

If you don’t, then the implication would be that you haven’t understood it properly or haven’t mastered it yet.

I have met people who use The Work to shame themselves with the turnarounds.

I have met people who use The Work to make right what isn’t.

A friend told me recently that someone scraped together $ 20.000 to attend the Turnaround House in Spain. This person’s sole reason for doing this is because he wanted to be close to Katie for a month, because he loves her so much. Apparently it was never clear through the marketing for this particular Turnaround house that Katie wouldn’t attend this event in person. Unless of course they counted her Skype sessions as being actually present.

Personally speaking, if this were my reason for attending such an event and I had to borrow a lot of money to do this, I would definitely make sure, before transferring the money, that Katie would actually be there in person.

But what really baffled me is this, my friend then told me that this person did The Work a lot to make this feel right again. And my thought was, ‘so that is what people use it for? Wow’. And I can also see the bigger picture. Doing The Work could bring him to the place where he thought he had to spend a lot of money so as to get something. There is no doubt about that. However, I think they should have been very clear in their marketing that Katie wouldn’t be physically present in this particular Turnaround House.

Another person has done The Work for a very long time and is very dedicated to the cause of spreading The Work worldwide. She had sold her house, moved to another country and became miserable. I was on the phone with her once and I said to her, ‘I bet you are writing worksheets all day long, then you do The Work, you feel good for about a minute, and then it starts all over again’. She told me that that was exactly what was happening.

I know people who made the conscious decision to stop doing The Work and who felt greatly relieved.

One particular person I am referring to here was doing The Work all day long, to get out of her anxiety. She said that she found a therapist who claims that he is treating a lot of people whom he has advised to stop doing The Work because it doesn’t seem to help them and it increases their sense of shame and guilt.

There was a girl in one of the recent Schools in the States. During one of the sessions Katie had done The Work with someone. Afterwards this girl stood up and gave Katie feedback. She commented that she actually didn’t experience Katie as kind and that she also didn’t feel it was very appropriate what Katie had said. Later on in her room, she was visited by a staff member who gave her the message that Katie wanted her to pack her bags and leave immediately. I personally have witnessed this before, that people were asked to leave a School. Katie’s explanation was, ‘it can hurt the curriculum’.

What I have seen around Katie, is that this kind of behavior is being justified by, if they don’t like it, they can always do The Work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2009 11:31PM by corboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: solea13 ()
Date: March 21, 2009 12:10AM

Exploring Janaki's Katie story & blog further, I see that she is strongly influenced by Tony Parsons, another non-dualism teacher. She quotes a large portion of 'The Open Secret' written by him and also links to his website of the same name.

Tony Parsons presents himself as one of the 'non-guru' gurus that we've discussed before on the thread. Non-threatening, friendly, completely approachable. He says he's not any more enlightened than the rest of us, but apparently he still has something to teach that involves the need for books, tapes and talks.

The front page of his website says explicitly 'nothing for sale'. In fact, although there are some free downloads on his site, he is selling the books for about $26 a pop. His 'talks' are about $20 per person. It's not clear how much is being charged for 'residentials'.

I watched one of the videos of Janaki 'Co-working' with two other people, which still involved taking the belief 'I need to help people' and examining that thought in the light of the 'four questions'. The only difference in the approach really, is the absence of Byron Katie. So at least there are a few less people who Katie is not making money off of!

The essential problems remain though ... untrained and unlicensed people performing a scientifically untested method on 'clients' who have probably paid at least a small sum for the service.

It's interesting to consider that the theory of non-dualism apparently doesn't leave people with the freedom of mind to just live their ordinary lives with satisfaction. People can't just think, "Oh, neat, we're all One, there's no need to judge myself or others. I can go ahead and live my life as fully as possible given that difficult things are bound to happen and are a natural part of life's process."

Must there always be an endless series of questions, turnarounds, talks, excercises and workshops? It seems that a significant portion of one's money and time must go into maintaing the proper non-dual perspective ... talk about navel-gazing!

Hmm... just to add to that, Tony Parsons was into Gurdjieff, Ouspensky and lived for a while as a devotee in the Oshso commune (in England I think). At least he doesn't keep his past secret.

And this quote reminds me of Eckhardt's story about living in bliss on a park bench. It's just the condensed version :D

"In essence what is sought is love. But it is the love that is absolute, all-embracing and eternal. It is this overwhelming love that many have glimpsed, and which I attempted to describe in The Open Secret when I seemed to be walking across a park and then was no more anyone. It wasn’t experienced because there was suddenly no experiencer. It was a glimpse that no-one glimpsed. I then returned as “a someone” and tried again and again to re-discover that unconditional love which I could not know."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2009 12:26AM by solea13.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Tony Parsons
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: March 21, 2009 12:24AM

solea13
Must there always be an endless series of questions, turnarounds, talks, excercises and workshops? It seems that a significant portion of one's money and time must go into maintaing the proper non-dual perspective ... talk about navel-gazing!

Hi Solea,

I think that whenever there is even a hint that relief from suffering can be had by any approach or teaching, there will be a market for it. Relieving suffering has always been MY motivation for trying out something like The Work.

The greater the suffering, the greater the pull towards a solution.

This is not to be underestimated.

In checking out Tony Parson's site, I immediately notice that "The Open Secret" is a very tantalizing title.

Also, at the bottom of the home page, it says this:

Liberation is a word used to describe an apparent release from the illusion of feeling imprisoned and apart from love, or wholeness. That shift is essentially an energetic release out of contraction into boundlessness.

Whenever and wherever there is a deep and uncompromising sharing together of the very real paradox of being, a palpable resonance can emerge. Out of that openness there can be a release of that contraction into boundlessness and what arises is the wonder of simply being.

At first Parsons says there is "nothing for sale". But the last two paragraphs say otherwise. It says that one can find "liberation" via "sharing together". With Tony, that is! For Tony claims he has been liberated. He speaks of "this overwhelming love that many have glimpsed, and which I attempted to describe in The Open Secret when I seemed to be walking across a park and then was no more anyone."

And so we have one more person selling enlightenment. And there WILL be buyers. Unless what they are doing is seen through.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to see through Tony Parsons!

Posted by: Pilot ()
Date: March 21, 2009 12:43AM

corboy
Pilot, I owe you an apology. I let myself get rattled, after the troll visits weve had.
[/quote]

Thank you Corboy, I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I came in here without the benefit of research and have been schooled, the Janaki blog sure opened my eyes. I hope to hear more from people like her in the future, I told my friend about the blog-you know the one who does the work-he really exists- and he came back with "I don't care about Katie, it's not about her it's the work." that tap dance that seems to be built into it...then I told him about Ken Keyes and the shall we say, heavy borrowing from him. That made him sit up and take notice...he even started to question the cockroach myth. A good sign.

The other day the link from "the working company" website wasn't working and last night I checked, you can see Janaki's document about Ken Keys vs. the work here:

[www.theworkingcompany.nl]

Posted by: Pilot ()
Date: March 21, 2009 01:00AM

helpme2times
I second that apology. I feel deeply appreciative that Pilot has contributed some incredibly helpful information. Who knows how many people will be helped by it. Especially those who have "worked" for Byron Katie, as Janaki did, and got deeply burned.

Thank you so much, Pilot.

corboy
Pilot, I owe you an apology. I let myself get rattled, after the troll visits weve had.

Your directing us to Janaki's blog has been a huge, huge, help.

This is the saddest thing about troll attacks. It leads us (certainly me) to get nervous and then hit out at friends.

Thank you hm2t, I am learning a lot here. With the internet, these gurus can't hide and get away with stuff anymore, it's great. The first time I saw ex-SYDA blogs I reacted like my friend did about BK, it's not about her, it's the practice, you don't get it. Hearing a story from an insider that details exactly the process of indoctrination on such a scale humbles me, in a good way.

This has just been fascinating and a real education.

Date: March 21, 2009 02:53AM

Pilot
Thank you hm2t, I am learning a lot here. With the internet, these gurus can't hide and get away with stuff anymore, it's great. The first time I saw ex-SYDA blogs I reacted like my friend did about BK, it's not about her, it's the practice, you don't get it. Hearing a story from an insider that details exactly the process of indoctrination on such a scale humbles me, in a good way.

This has just been fascinating and a real education.

In her "Notes from Janaki", she said: "I took another look and deleted all the stories that were in there just to make Katie look bad, as it is not my purpose to make her look bad."

Oh how I wonder what got left out?!

I hope Janaki will consider putting EVERYTHING in.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and former members, Ex-BK
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 21, 2009 04:19AM

Yes, that blog was mentioned here before, I think.
If anyone has a few minutes from time to time, maye they could search Google blog search, and see if any new interesting Byron Katie related blogs come up?
They can use the words in quotes, to make a better search...as in...

"byron katie"

Google Blog search [blogsearch.google.com]

Of course, basically all of them are shill-advertising blogs for people selling Coaching of The Work to make money, but who knows, there might be more of these blogs out there with some relevant information?

quackdave
The Anticult

One wonders, are there other blogs out there, which are telling the truth about Byron Katie that have not been mentioned?

For example, there is this one..
IGOTSCHOOLED
[igotschooled.blogspot.com]

Thanks, TAC. That's some very interesting, and heartening, reading. It appears that there are some folks out there who are being careful about their identity, but telling their story boldly. Did you just find it in the usual Googling fashion?

qd

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) Blog Critique
Date: March 21, 2009 04:28AM

The Anticult
Yes, that blog was mentioned here before, I think.
If anyone has a few minutes from time to time, maye they could search Google blog search, and see if any new interesting Byron Katie related blogs come up?
They can use the words in quotes, to make a better search...as in...

"byron katie"

Was this blog referenced yet?

[[url=http://dhammaleaves.wordpress.com/2008/06/25/critique-of-byron-katie/]Critique of Byron Katie[/url]]

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Janaki, checkmate.
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 21, 2009 04:35AM

Byron Katie wants to "make an example" of Janaki, by banishing her from BKland.
Transcendental Meditation (TM) did the exact same thing to Deepak Chopra, as Deepak started to get too popular and there is only room for one Maharishi Guru in TMland. So they kicked Deepak out, and deleted every word about him in the TM literature. Its all factual, anyone can look it up.

There is only room for one BK in BKland...

Byron Katie knows she has absolute power over the careers and livelihoods of her so-called "certified" coaches. When she banished Janaki, Janaki lost 80% of her business. This is after Janaki obviously made Katie probably millions of dollars, from her free labor/contacts over the years.

So if a person is so-called "certified" by Byron Katie, as mentioned before in this thread, it means nothing. As Katie can REVOKE your certification at any time, for any or no reason.
So what if a person is $150,000 in debt, from the Byron Katie "so-called certification" training, over 5+ years?
Then they have to do EXACTLY what Katie wants them to do, or she pulls their bogus "certification", and speaks out against them, and they have no business.

This gives Katie literally absolute power over the so-called "certified" BKers.
And if you owe Katie $150,000, or have that debt from her "training", and if you have sold your house and given that money to Byron Katie....then you are totally fucked, and locked in for a decade, and even for LIFE. Like I said 100 pages ago, Katie wants people for LIFE. Literally, its right there buried in the text.

In Katie's words...CHECKMATE.

Pilot
... She's already getting hit with followers telling her she hasn't done enough "work". meh, if anybody has done it to death it's her, sounds like, she started her own modified version of it with the corporate training stuff and bk decided to rein her in, why?? bk is a megalomaniac. maybe some other of her long time followers who do a lot of "volunteering" will pipe up now that Janaki has opened the door.
she can't be the only one who got burned like that.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Janaki
Date: March 21, 2009 05:05AM

corboy
Anyone visiting Janaki's blog, read the articles--and do take care to read the comments.

At least one person has written expressing tremendous concern for a loved one. Janaki has written of people making severe and serious sacrifices of time and money, includng one man who who pulled together many thousands of dollars to attend a BK workshop just to be with her, not knowing she wasnt going to be physically present.

It looks like Janaki has removed the comments. I wonder why?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.