Current Page: 3 of 4
Islamic Fundamentalists - need help please
Posted by: Texas Christian ()
Date: January 07, 2006 11:23PM

I'm not looking for critics of Islam. I'm looking for help in dealing with a radical "islamic" group with recognized ties to terrorism. The pages on coping and getting help all lead back to how to do an intervention. Even the coping strategies are largely preperation for intervention (i.e. keeping notes of conversations). If intervention isn't appropriate then what other options are there? (That isn't meant to be a sarcastic question.) Are there Islamic groups in the U.S. that deal with these issues? Part of the reason I came here is that most anti-cult organizations have strong Christian perspectives that are almost cultish in and of themselves. That is fine I guess if you are dealing with Christian cults but it doesn't work out so well if one is looking for help with an Islamic cult. There's plenty of criticism of Islam out there and plenty of defensiveness because of it. That doesn't serve any purpose except to allow these groups an excuse to further isolate themselves. There has to be someone out there somewhere reading this who has dealt with this before...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 07, 2006 11:30PM

Texas Christian:

"Coping Strategies" can be a long-term response depending upon the situation.

Intervention is not always possible and depends upon some willing cooperation when an adult is involved in a group, to discuss concerns expressed by family and/or friends.

If a group you know of has "recognized ties to terroism," you should report this to the office of homeland security and to the FBI.

Posted by: Eric Blair ()
Date: January 08, 2006 11:54AM

I have to second Rick's call that you if you have noticed any illlegal or terroristic tactics being undertaken by the group in question, than you are obligated to report such actvities to the authorities.

I am dealing with an Islamic group myself and know the frustration. But, for better or worse, we live in a nation that allows an extremely high amount of tolerance when it comes to religious practices. I have found that they can even break the law provided they don't take things to far.

My advice to you is to do what I am doing and that is to work to educate people about the group that your friend is in. Sometimes, that is the only thing we are left to do.

Remember, the days of "forced interventions" are long done and over with.

I hate the cliche, but you just have to "keep the faith". Out of the blue I was recently contacted by a former cult-membe of a group who thanked me for taking the stand that I took and providing the education that I offered.

I would also recommend books about Islam written by people who once were part of the faith. It will provide you with perspective that you would not get otherwise and might help you to better understand where your friend is coming from.

Just remember that help is out there, but it doesn't always come in the form that we think it should. Keep talking and dont' give up.

At least you are not in my position. As I write this, my child is being indoctrinated into an Islamic cult and because of the tedious legal proceedings I have little to do but sit and wait and hope to educate myself and others...Be glad that is not what you are faced with.

Take care,
EB

Posted by: Texas Christian ()
Date: January 09, 2006 02:19AM

Eric, how old is your child? That is really scary. My friend has (now) five year old daughter who not only is being indoctrinated in the hatred and isolation but who's early schooling is also suffering as a direct result of her mother's choices. I realize that the government can't just tell people what to believe and that is a good thing but, when beliefs are setting the stage for long-term harm to a child's well-being there should be something that can be done ... I hope that the situation with your child works out for you and I hope that it doesn't offend you if I say, I will keep you in my prayers. The group my friend is in has been identified by government agencies for funding terrorist groups under the guise of charity organizations. I have not personally observed any illegal activity or plans of such and frankly I take pains to avoid being put in that position for the safety of my own family. I don't understand why a group that is already known to aid the terrorists is allowed to continue to operate but that is an entirely different off-topic discussion I suppose.

Posted by: Eric Blair ()
Date: January 11, 2006 07:55AM

Due to the fact that I am in the midst of the custody fight for my child I am not really able to go to far into details about what is going with me personally.

I have, however, learned that the legal system is more prone to err on the side of religious "freedoms". I guess that whole "First Amendment" thing cuts both ways.

Funny...but not really.

Luckily, the much of the world is starting to wake up to the perils of Islamification and is beggining to make appropriate steps.

The best we can do is to educate people where we can and fight when we must.

I thank you for including us in your prayers and do hope that your friend finds her way out of the darkness of Islam, if not for herself, for her child

Posted by: carl ()
Date: October 24, 2006 03:07PM

Eric Blair
I have a family member in an Islamic sect and I can tell you that the effects of their involvement are not minor, they are not subtle, and they are anything but positive.

In my view. Out of all of the groups discussed on this site, Islam and it's various cults are the some of the worst of the worst and it is time that someone stood up and said so.

Check out jihadwatch.org for more information

-EG

Most Muslims I know are peace-loving folks. But I dunno that many. When I look at some Islam countries, seems like they don't tolerate other religions at all. I heard that theres a plan to spread Islam to all countries, not only to be a part, but to make Islam countries period.

That's why, though I got peace-lovin Muslim freinds, I don't ever attend their mosk. I don't want Canada or US to become Muslim, cuz I don't believe in that stuff. Who knows?

ANyway, so far, none of my Muslim buddies ever pushed me too hard. But if they do, I'm gonna post em here, you can count on i...

Posted by: Gimlikun ()
Date: November 22, 2006 01:57AM

I see that this person is quite into her new religion. I just have a question regarding it then. Is there any situation in which a person shows all the "cult signs," but then is still not a part of a cult? Are these signs a for sure signature that a person is part of a cult? Is there perhaps some groups that are just very fundamentalist and strict without being called a cult? This is in regard to all religions.

Posted by: PhillyExile ()
Date: November 22, 2006 11:20AM

If anything, this situation has been underexposed and not overblown. What is good for Syrian culture that has roots going back thousands of years that pre-date Islam, is not neccesarily good for out nation, a liberal democracy that values integration and the seperation of Church and State.

But you do have a point with the "convert's zeal" issue. Nobody has more to prove in a religious conversion situation than the actual convert, especially if that convert is from another culture. The de-culturization or Arabization of a person, especially if a child is involved can be paticularly dramatic.

No, my friend, we are not overblowing this situation at all, we are merely putting forth rational ideas to help someone who is in a difficult situation.

Posted by: Gimlikun ()
Date: December 05, 2006 05:35AM

PhillyExile
If anything, this situation has been underexposed and not overblown. What is good for Syrian culture that has roots going back thousands of years that pre-date Islam, is not neccesarily good for out nation, a liberal democracy that values integration and the seperation of Church and State.

But you do have a point with the "convert's zeal" issue. Nobody has more to prove in a religious conversion situation than the actual convert, especially if that convert is from another culture. The de-culturization or Arabization of a person, especially if a child is involved can be paticularly dramatic.

No, my friend, we are not overblowing this situation at all, we are merely putting forth rational ideas to help someone who is in a difficult situation.

This seems like the same old response from every thread here. If something isn't being overblown, then it isn't receiving enough attention.

It seems probable that this person is misunderstanding this group. I'm not going to say for sure if that's the case. It could be in all honesty. However, it is possible that this is just a large enough cultural difference that they don't understand. Just a thought.

Posted by: forum ()
Date: December 28, 2006 03:40AM

can anyone tell me similarities b/w Christianity and Muslim?

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.