Current Page: 2 of 4
Islamic Fundamentalists - need help please
Posted by: Eric Blair ()
Date: December 05, 2005 02:07PM

There are a couple of books that one could read in order to educate oneself about Islam.

"The Sword of the Prophet"
"The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam and the Crusades"

Of course, these books take a decidedly negative view of the religion you could balance your studies by a number of other books about Islam.

Also, a good translation of the Koran is a good place to begin.

Sadly, in the "mainstream" Islamic world there isn't much interest in cults, this is a trend that is starting to change in light of Al-Queda type groups.

I think that it is crucical to commend moderate and especially progressive Islamic groups, as they are quite literally are on the "front lines" on the fight against Islamic extremism.

That said, they themselves, cannot be held above criticism. There are alot of problems with Islam and we cannot ignore them.

It is time that we start taking the issue of people being recruited into Islamic groups seriously and begin to provide resources for those in need.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Texas Christian ()
Date: December 07, 2005 12:03AM

Thank you moderator & Eric Blair :)

I will check out those books that you mentioned. I do have a translation of the Qu'ran but, it seems to do no good to try to reason with my friend using knowledge from the Qu'ran because in their view, if it isn't in Arabic, it isn't really the Qu'ran. Never mind that she doesn't speak or read Arabic, I suppose that is part of the control tactic? I am also not sure if this is the view of Islam in general or if this is something that only the more radical groups adhere to. I have heard it both ways and in this day and age any study tends to get hopelessly muddled in opinion and feeling.

Date: December 07, 2005 12:31AM

I of the opinion that it is almost never a waste a time to argue with a cultist, but remember that you are most likely not going to convince them through some kind of intellectual appeal.

When someone joins a sect, they, as a matter of course, surrender their critical and ironic faculties, making them somewhat immune to rationality.

Keep in mind that your friend most likely did not end up in an Islamic cult because of a long and deep seated interest in Middle Eastern spirituality and culture. She is there because she is desiring certitude in a very uncertain world.

Islam literally means "submission". Adherents are told that if they just surrender to God or more specifically their "Imam" all will be well.

Keep hope, but be mindful not to argue to the point that you lose contact with your friend. Keep open the lines of communication and perhaps with time, your friend will wake up and get the hell out of there.

EB

Date: December 09, 2005 12:24AM

Eric, thank you for the insight. I will keep that in mind :?

Posted by: Lardlad ()
Date: December 31, 2005 07:01PM

I'm a third generation Syrian-American,from a Christian family,but I know a lot of Muslims as part of the general Arab immigrant community I grew up in.

What I see in many Americans who become Muslims is the "convert zeal" that you see with many people who convert to any religion or sect? I think this is probably what you're seeing in your friend.

There's a lot of Xenophobia regarding Arabs and Muslims in the US at the moment which can cause a minor thing like this to be overblown.

Posted by: nccg_concern ()
Date: January 02, 2006 10:00AM

Lardlad

What I see in many Americans who become Muslims is the "convert zeal" that you see with many people who convert to any religion or sect? I think this is probably what you're seeing in your friend.

There's a lot of Xenophobia regarding Arabs and Muslims in the US at the moment which can cause a minor thing like this to be overblown.

That does not sound like good advice to me. The original post says:

Texas Christian
I was looking around the site here and found the warning signs link which is very informative. It is also somewhat disturbing to me. I noticed that of the warning signs of people involved in a potentially dangerous group, my friend displays all of them.

It could be that you skimmed the thread and missed this line. In any case, if this poster says he/she believes all the warning signs seem apparent in the friend, that should be taken seriously. Thats what the warning signs are supposed to do - - point out specific issues that are symptomatic or otherwise indicative of a real problem.

Also, if I understand what you meant by "convert zeal", I'll point out that there is a mental state that might remind you of "convert zeal" that can be experienced by newly "brainwashed" people. I learned the term "honeymoon period" for it, and it's not zeal at all, it is a euphoric, psychological reality shift. Confusing someone's honeymoon period due to cult exposure with something like a harmless "convert zeal" would be counterproductive. Giving someone else an incorrect assessment in this area wouldn't be good either.

Date: January 04, 2006 12:02PM

It is hardly a "minor" thing for someone to join a cult.

The implications are often destructive and anyone who bothers to take the time to investigate what joining a cult means, would find that out.

Western converts to Islam not only join a "religion", they are expected to adopt certain Middle Eastern cultural norms. The notion of sexual segregation is one such element that sticks out prominently in my mind.

I have a family member in an Islamic sect and I can tell you that the effects of their involvement are not minor, they are not subtle, and they are anything but positive.

And since the issue was raised, I think, if anything, Americans have responded to Muslims by and large quite well, given the amount of Islamic terrorism taking place thoroughout the world.

In my view. Out of all of the groups discussed on this site, Islam and it's various cults are the some of the worst of the worst and it is time that someone stood up and said so.

Check out jihadwatch.org for more information

-EG

Date: January 04, 2006 02:06PM

This political correctness of "don't say anything negative about anything remotely related to islam" is half of the problem in my opinion :?

I appreciate the insight from those who sought to clear up the issue but even Rick Ross seemed more willing to blame me for being too "anti islam" when we contacted him for help.

I guess most people cannot understand that islam has cults and sects just like christianity, judaism, and any other faith. The guys who flew planes into our buildings were a perfect example of cultic islam.

*sigh*

Is there anywhere people in this situation can turn for help?

:cry:

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 04, 2006 07:30PM

Texas Christian:

See [www.culteducation.com]

The group may not fit the profile of a destructive cult as al-Qaeda did.

See [www.culteducation.com]

At times intervention is not a practical option due to the specific situation and developing coping strategies may be the best and most practical option.

The majority of Muslims like Christians, Jews and Buddhists are not involved in destructive cults.

Date: January 07, 2006 02:30PM

Not because I think that he really needs one, but I do think you might be judging Mr. Ross abit to harshly.

Any religion, Christianity included, has some serious baggage along with it's historical record.

Even the peace loving Buddhists gave comfort to, and provided justification for, Imperial Japan's mis-adventures in the pacific

Mr. Ross can certainly correctly if I am wrong, but I am of the opinion that this site deals specifically with groups of all "faiths" that fall under the category of either a destructive "new" religious group and in paticular, those who have been identified as employing decietful or dangerous tactics.

And to that end I believe that Mr. Ross has done a great job in doing this.

But if you are looking for hardcore critiques of Islam you have come to the wrong place. I have directed you towards some books that you may be interested in and again urge you to visit jihadwatch.org for a more critical view of Islam. And if your friend is a follower of the "Nation of Islam" you could introduce them to the biography of Malcom X as he came to reject the nation and their cultism.

There are lots of roads for you to go down. Do not be discouraged. The movement against Islamic cults grows by the day and in time more organized entities will evolve.

One thing to remember, and this is something that a Muslim Dr. from Qatar told me is that, in the world of Islam, the notion of modern cults is kind of new and that with time, groups like Al-Queda will be given the cult status that they deserve.

take care and take it easy. remember that most of the things in your life are out of your control and that there is only so much that you and others in your like to save people.

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.