Any updates on YWAM and their practices and theology?
Posted by: mikethekey ()
Date: September 26, 2007 09:55AM

A controversy over YWAM (Youth with a Mission) has arisen in my Church, within the last few months. I am currently a member of a committee organized to look into the issues currently being discussed about YWAM, to evaluate and make recommendations to our Church leadership about YWAM. The information currently on the Rick A. Ross site has proved helpful as a starting point, in addition to other information found at other sites. In general the information found, seems somewhat aged--some of it goes back to the 1980's. Particularly the one related to Moral Government Theology. Is anyone out there fully aware of what changes YWAM has made in the areas which they have been criticized in the past.

Mainly the issues being looked at are:
their theology (concept of God, Moral Goverment Theology)
their rules and practices (control,discipline etc)
their finances ( how they are funded and how they ask for funding)
the quality of education they provide--accreditation of their University of the Nations, and the courses they provide at their bases. etc.

I would appreciate any more current fair, well balanced and reliable information on this organization.

Mikethekey

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: September 27, 2007 03:56PM

Hi there Mikethekey,

I haven't checked lately, but there is some additional YWAM based articles in the CAIC site (ww.culthelp.info) which RR doesn't have on his site. These aren't found via the site navigation, but you [u:c1360b2bf2]can[/u:c1360b2bf2] find them through using the site search function.

These articles will be some of the older ones history-wise, but did show that change in the organisation is unlikely.

I do have an ex-YWAM expert that I could also put you in touch with. His experience would be more recent.

Hope this helps.

John

Date: September 27, 2007 11:18PM

Thanks John

I will look at the site you mention--also if you can put me in contact with the expert, that would be great.

Mike

Date: September 29, 2007 05:44PM

Just to let you know that I'm searching for wherever I wrote down the details. Obviously it is currently in a very safe place. Too safe, perhaps. :-P

(sigh)

John

Date: September 29, 2007 11:49PM

John

Thanks again--just take your time. The same thing happens to me all the time. Mentally, I seem to lose the combination to the location. As I get older it occurs more frequent. (LOL)

Mike

Date: September 30, 2007 12:16PM

Over here we either call it a "seniors moment" or a "brain fart".

John

Date: September 30, 2007 07:19PM

I am more familiar with "senior moment", but the other one is just as descriptive.

Mike

Re: Any updates on YWAM and their practices and theology?
Posted by: Suitor ()
Date: May 19, 2009 12:24AM

I found this summation to be so accurate revealing YWAM:
[www.culteducation.com]

This particular statement sums up the entire issue and validates so many post regarding the "absolute authority" YWAM staff holds OVER those they are discipling," They are not encouraged to know Jesus as the One intercessor between God and humans (1 Tim 2:5). I have/had a dear friend who after encountering YWAM, and specifically " [www.ywamaxiom.com] just now after 17 years wondering who the person of the Messiah is. 17 years and by the grace of God in Jesus, is now searching the person of the Messiah, Jesus. She revealed to me, I don't know Jesus.-I know about HIM.
This is due to the YWAM UN-written creed, that "YWAM staff", is/ are the intercessor. Akin to the Pope holding the position of the Father of all things.
I would beg anyone who may be considering this global "Church", to earnestly seek and know HOLY SPIRIT first before venturing so much as a phone call in YWAM's direction.

May the grace and wisdom of our precious Lord be upon you and yours while considering your sincerity in serving our FATHER.

Re: Any updates on YWAM and their practices and theology?
Posted by: MKkid ()
Date: March 02, 2010 05:51AM

Hey i know this is an old post but i thought id add alittle to it.
i grew up in YWAM, my parents where in amsterdam with them
in the 80s, and as ive grown up ive done smaller things not
quite a DTS but shorter and younger versions over the summer
called SSTs, and 40 days in harpeninden england.
it is a good organization in general, there are really
good life changing schools with good leaders.
and there are really bad ones with horrible leaders
from what i hear. i know for sure to stay away,
from any base that uses the Tacoma WA group , hillsong
city central church and there freedom praying manual
is very unpleasant teaching an cultist and from the sounds
of it have infultrated some YWAM bases such as Kona and
the UK. they where in england at 40 days and it was horrible
lost of shouting " the spirit of passivity out!" over and over
and nothing to do with hearing god. just lots of shouting
and hype. beaware of it if you do join ywam.
but dont count ywam out completely.
it can be a life changing and good exsperiance with
the right people.

always pray and ask for wise counsel first! :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.