Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Is Steve Hassan a hypocrite?
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: October 28, 2014 12:34AM

Mr. Hassan is apparently publishing articles in the Huffington Post again.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Mr. Hassan, I've got two ideas for your review:

1) Why not start writing these articles for the Washington Times, too? That way, your message will reach a wider audience.

2) Why not write a piece (whether for HuffPo or the Washington Times) about the Movement for Spiritual Inner Awareness, Insight Seminars, and/or USM?

3) Is Arianna Huffington still involved with MSIA/Insight Seminars to any extent, (whether directly or indirectly), Mr. Hassan? She was as of a couple of years ago.

[www.evernote.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Steve Hassan a hypocrite?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 28, 2014 05:23AM

To whom it may concern:

The Cult Education Institute does not recommend or any way endorse Steve Hassan.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Date: October 28, 2014 06:05AM

zeuszor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr. Hassan is apparently publishing articles in
> the Huffington Post again.
>
> [www.huffingtonpost.com]
> s-a-cult-that-uses-_b_6023890.html
>
> Mr. Hassan, I've got two ideas for your review:
>
> 1) Why not start writing these articles for the
> Washington Times, too? That way, your message will
> reach a wider audience.
>
> 2) Why not write a piece (whether for HuffPo or
> the Washington Times) about the Movement for
> Spiritual Inner Awareness, Insight Seminars,
> and/or USM?
>
> 3) Is Arianna Huffington still involved with
> MSIA/Insight Seminars to any extent, (whether
> directly or indirectly), Mr. Hassan? She was as
> of a couple of years ago.
>
> [www.evernote.com]
> -4c8b-b2f0-c563ceeb04bd/a0ce7378f3ab0c0d27da52d3ee
> 9d90b3

OK, I asked three questions, and not two. Typo.

Steve Hassan was my boss for three years. We spoke on a regular basis during that period of time, and I left his association feeling abused and exploited by that man. Steve Hassan is one of the most cravenly hypocritical persons whom I have ever come across. I used to respect and admire the man, but now see him as little more than a phony and venal "cult leader" of sorts himself. My name is Brian J. Birmingham, and I wrote this message.

Date: October 28, 2014 10:09AM

Do you know why it is that I don't feel guilty at all about expressing my antipathy for Hassan, nor, as a Christian, do I feel like a hypocrite myself?

It's because I take consolation, and feel rather validated, knowing that I am just one of many people who used to work for or with him, and left his association feeling just as disgruntled and jaded as I feel.

In other words: I am not the only one by far, who thinks him narcissistic hypocrite. So it's not just me, not by a mile. Of this I am certain.

THAT why my conscience does not bother me greatly, in giving all of you a piece of my mind with respect to the matter. I am just one of MANY people, who USED TO work with him and now dislike the guy.

Doesn't that tell you something, Steve? I am not greatly concerned about hurting your feelings, either; I do not think that you have any feelings to hurt.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 29, 2014 02:54AM

Date: October 29, 2014 03:41AM

zeuszor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you know why it is that I don't feel guilty at
> all about expressing my antipathy for Hassan, nor,
> as a Christian, do I feel like a hypocrite
> myself?
>
> It's because I take consolation, and feel rather
> validated, knowing that I am just one of many
> people who used to work for or with him, and
> left his association feeling just as disgruntled
> and jaded as I feel.

>
> In other words: I am not the only one by far, who
> thinks him narcissistic hypocrite. So it's not
> just me, not by a mile. Of this I am certain.
>
> THAT why my conscience does not bother me greatly,
> in giving all of you a piece of my mind with
> respect to the matter. I am just one of MANY
> people, who USED TO work with him and now dislike
> the guy.
>
> Doesn't that tell you something, Steve? I am not
> greatly concerned about hurting your feelings,
> either; I do not think that you have any feelings
> to hurt.

To whom it may concern: it has come to my attention that there has been a 100% turnover of the Freedom of Mind staff since I quit working with Hassan a year and a half ago. Nobody who used to work for FOM back when I was there, is still with the company. Even his accountant quit doing work for Hassan. The only one that I am not sure about is the FOM webmaster. Doesn't that tell you something, Hassan??

Date: October 29, 2014 05:47AM

Martin Luther King, Jr.was a plagiarist, and that's a documented, well-known fact. There was an official inquiry at Boston University (his alma mater) and everything.

[www.snopes.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

When I first found this out years ago, I was shocked and outraged. What a colossal hypocrite, I thought to myself. It made me so angry at MLK that I could have spit. My image of the man was utterly shattered, just as my image of Hassan was utterly shattered when I came to understand his true nature. My mind was blown.

So one day when I was at my old undergrad University, I went to a professor in the Department of African-American Studies and asked him about the matter.

I'ts not a racist conspiracy that was designed by J. Edgar Hoover to discredit the man, I told him, it's just the simple truth. MLK was a plagiarist, a womanizer, and a liar. Why are academics so, so reluctant to talk about it, I asked him. I was outraged.

His answer was this:

Basically, he said that it seemed to him that Boston University (which awarded King the doctorate in the first place) would have to be the entity to take any action that would certify plagiarism. If they have not retroactively invalidated the awarded degree (then officially speaking) no act of plagiarism ever took place. And besides (said he), so what if they posthumously took the "Doctor" appellation from his name? Does it make MLK any less a martyr; even if he were a plagiarist and a womanizer (and he certainly was) did he not die for his cause? Are we to respect him less for these transgressions? After all, we all have feet of clay. This was his argument.

Same with Mr. Hassan. I see that now.

It's not the man himself, it's what he symbolizes, and the fact that folks in society in general (esp. black folks) derive hope from what MLK symbolizes (that is, HOPE) is the main thing, even if the man himself had feet of clay. And he very much did, even this professor had to give me that.

Everybody in the Department of African American Studies at my old Uni knows all about MLK and the scholarship issues. Now, I am not calling Hassan a plagiarist (though some have); I am saying that the principle (the man vs. the symbol vs. giving ex-members hope) is the same.

In other words: if I'd have known THEN (the first time I read his first book) what I know NOW about Hassan's true nature and character, then I would have lost all hope. Same with everybody else who has read Combating and his other books. They have no idea who and what Hassan really is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 06:10AM by zeuszor.

Date: October 29, 2014 05:55AM

I have no idea what MLK has to do with this thread.

Steve Hassan is no MLK.

He is largely a businessman and marketing strategist who sells his services for $2,500 to $8,000 a day.

He is certainly not a matyr.

Comparing Hassan to Dr. King is ridiculous.

And no rationalization excuses Hassan's bad behavior and unethical business practices.

Please focus and stay on topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 05:56AM by rrmoderator.

Date: October 29, 2014 05:57AM

No, Hassan is no MLK. That is for sure. I'm just saying that the contrast between the public persona and the private reality (in the case of Hassan) is that stark.

Date: October 29, 2014 06:28AM

That is a gross understatement.

"Combatting Cult Mind Control" was released in 1988 and is out of date.

Psychologist Margaret Singer's book "Cults in Our Midst" published in 1995 is much better written and more helpful.

See [www.amazon.com]

Also the Second Edition of "Snapping" by Flo Conway and Jime Siegelman is more current and contains the ideas and concepts about information control that Hassan copied.

See [www.amazon.com]

Then there is the book "Thought Reform and Psychology of Totalism" by Robert Jay Lifton, which is a seminal classic.

See [www.amazon.com]

Hassan's so-called "BITE model" is borrowed from these books.

The B for behavior comes from Lifton and Singer's research.

The I for information comes from Conway and Siegelman study of "information desease."

The T for thinking comes from Lifton's explanation of thought reform.

The E for emotional control comes from Conway and Siegelman's second book "Holy Terror" published in 1982.

See [www.amazon.com]

The BITE model is simply a ripoff of other people's ideas and research recycled and relabeled by Hassan for his marketing and self-promotional purposes without giving proper credit to the originators of those ideas.

Shameful and unethical.

His latest book "Freedom of Mind" is little more than an self-serving infomercial.

See [www.cultnews.com]

This review of the book by Cathleen Mann, a PhD in forensic psychology, exposes its deeply flawed concepts and constructs.

Summing up--there are better books and better people in the field of cultic studies to read and look to for meaningful research. Why reference someone who copies the ideas of others withoug proper attribution when you can read the original?

Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.