> long, long time ago, and I don't spend any time
> thinking about it - but back then I was worried
> about what damage this person could do to others,
> he has significant access to ex members and their
> families, and unless he sees a way to make money
> off them, then his behavior can be very hurtful,
> even damaging.
>
Malene, I am glad to see that you are coming forward. I don't remember what happened with you as I don't know who you are, but if I did something to hurt you on behalf of Hassan (or didn't do something I should have) I apologize. Was this something that happened on the Freedom of Mind list serv? In any case, I was at one time very caught up with his cult of personality and will let Cathleen speak for herself, but I think she was too and like me, has since learned from the experience and is trying to rectify this by speaking out. What is needed is for people who have experienced abuse from this individual to come forward. Thank you for having the courage to do so. He can only have power if people remain silent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Steve Hassan a hypocrite?
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: November 28, 2014 03:53AM

zeuszor
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you familiar with the biblical concept of
> tikkun olam, Rick?
>
> I am getting to a (on-topic) point here; please
> humor me long enough to answer my question.

OK, I'll just go ahead anyway then.

"Tikkun olam" means "repair the world" or "heal the world" in Hebrew.

Steve once told me (in the context of a conversation that we were having over the phone) that this concept was drilled into him as a child being raised in a religious Jewish family.

Steve says that he believes in God, and that he believes himself to be doing what God created him to do. He (according to what he has told me in the past) lives by "tikkun olam", and sees himself as fulfilling this principle through his work. He has told me that he sees himself as having a sacred duty (as human being and as a religious Jew) to be doing what he is doing, in terms of his cult-ed and intervention work. The concept of "tikkun olam" is a big part of the key toward understanding Steve's mentality. Understand this, and you understand the man. And seen in this light, the "Unholy Trinity" thing reveals a lot about his mentality, too.

But I see him as being so focused on the big picture of "healing the world" that he seems also to have lost sight (if he ever had sight of it in the first place) of all of the individuals that have tried to help him along the way, in terms of the working out of this sacred duty that he sees himself as having. People, to him, are tools, pawns that he is using in order to achieve what he sees his duty as being. In other words: people, to him, are a means to Steve's ends (both in the temporal and spiritual senses).

Insofar as this is the case, Hassan has gone the way of every other ideologically-driven extremist fanatic and "cult leader" type in history. Hassan feels that he has a sacred, spiritual duty to do what he is doing in his work, and individual people are means to his achieving those grandiose ends. He's stepped on, and has hurt many people to get where he is now, and it's mainly for this reason that I call him a hypocrite.

Now, I believe in God too, and I am a Christian. I believe that (in a sense) I am doing what God created me to do, as well. The difference between Hassan's mentality and my own, is the complete lack of humility on Hassan's part, as well as his complete lack of empathy and self-insight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 04:07AM by zeuszor.

Date: November 28, 2014 04:14AM

And another thing: I've got another Hebrew term for all of you. The biblical concept of lifnay evare (sp?) commands me not to look the other way when I see such harm being done by Hassan (or anybody else, for that matter). I consider speaking out against him, and denouncing my association with him as part of a spiritual duty on my part, according to this principle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 04:14AM by zeuszor.

Posted by: MonicaPignotti ()
Date: November 28, 2014 04:15AM

While I do think he might believe this on some level,that he is serving some king of grandiose mission, I think he also uses religion to serve his own ego. Just my own observation and opinion. Not really very different from many cult leaders.

Date: November 28, 2014 04:16AM

MonicaPignotti
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I do think he might believe this on some
> level,that he is serving some king of grandiose
> mission, I think he also uses religion to serve
> his own ego. Just my own observation and opinion.
> Not really very different from many cult leaders.

Just the same as many cult leaders, actually.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 28, 2014 04:23AM

zeuszor:

"Healing the world"?

Steve Hassan is focused on relentless on marketing schemes and himself.

The outrageous fees that he charges demonstrate this fact as does his repeated bad behavior and unprofessional conduct.

Anyone that knows how he really operates knows this.

Any pious posturing that Hassan does is just part of the marketing scheme.

Date: November 28, 2014 04:25AM

Tikkun olam. That's what he's told me, Rick.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 14, 2015 06:18AM

Story now on Cult News about Steve Hassan's links to a child molester and fugitive sex offender.

See [www.cultnews.com]

Date: January 16, 2015 12:53AM

Man up and assume your proper responsibility, Steve. How do you answer for this?

Date: January 21, 2015 07:40AM

Zeuszor's quote of the day (are you reading this, Steve? I hope so).

"He who esteems himself highly on account of his knowledge is like a corpse lying on the wayside: the traveler turns his head away in disgust, and walks quickly by."

--Rabbi Akiva

Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.