Goodenough Community-- A New Age/Psychotherapy Cult?
Posted by: Worried_Dad ()
Date: November 26, 2005 01:26AM

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this group, particularly if they have been studied as a cult-like organization.

They are an "intentional community" that has a "church," and a "school." They also offer week-long retreats or "laboratories." They also offer therapy for individuals, group therapy, and couple's counseling. And of course they offer retreats for men, for women, and for couples.

I "graduated" from their school, once attended their church, and did a lot of group therapy and couple's counseling there. I experienced some bizzarre therapies, including hypnosis & recovered-memory-of-abuse therapy, which was administered, [i:203de92415]en-masse[/i:203de92415] to large groups. That was scary and really wrecked me for a while.

The real kicker was the "therapy" administered when I asked for help with an violently abusive relationship I was enduring. The 10 month long course of "treatment" was so outlandish and bizarre I hesitate to even describe it, because I am embarrassed that I was so gullible to fall for it.

What inspired me to leave was some verbal and psychological abuse at the hands of a therapist who didn't like my feedback regarding the 10 months of treatment--he actually told me in a group therapy session that my opinion of his "Love Training" course demonstrated that I was "psychotic." When I said I didn't see how I could be psychotic since I was oriented, alert, not hallucinating, delusional or paranoid, I was told that none of those things are part of the definition of psychosis.

Unfortunately, "Love Training" turned out not to be a cure for my battering partner, and things got worse. In foolishness born of desperation, I returned to the Goodenough therapists pleading for help. What happened next just about killed me. I feel like I will never be the same.

I found out too late that my therapist was named and featured as a particularly gruesome example in Shirley J. Siegel's book [u:203de92415]What to Do When Psychotherapy Goes Wrong.[/u:203de92415]

It mostly a nice bunch of people. I like to think that they do not really understand that what they are doing can be destructive. But I have really come to understand that there are many cult-like things about this group of people. Specifically, a New-Age cult and also a psychotherapy cult. And I don't mean just because the charismatic leader is considered to be a "bodhisattva" and the reincarnation of John the Baptist. I am worried that the leader considers Adi-Da to be his primary teacher and role model.

It is more the thinking and perceptions and behavior of the group that makes me think cultism. One sign is how insular the members of the group become. I don't even feel like I fit into normal society anymore, and I always feel a pull to reconnect to the group. I wonder if this is what being a drug addict is like. Another sign is how the leaders seem to be absolutely above reproach, regardless of their behavior.

I think it is a bad sign when you are encouraged to have one person be your "Spiritual Master," and your psychotherapist, and your professional trainer and supervisor, your college professor, your friend, and your lover all at the same time. And I really think that mixing religion and psychotherapy is a bad idea.

I wish there was something I could do.

[www.aboutcommunity.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: November 27, 2005 02:51AM

I haven't heard anything specifically about this group, but will keep an eye out for any information and will pass it on. Perhaps someone else here is familiar with the group.

I was involved with a similar group. Time, therapy, lots of reading, participating in these forums, have helped immensely in my recovery.

I well remember the feeling of not fitting into normal society, also the pull back to the destructive group.

Have you found a good therapist yet? Can you go to a recovery center like Wellspring?

Posted by: Worried_Dad ()
Date: November 27, 2005 03:08AM

I did talk to "real" therapists and found an online support group that has been helpful.

Frankly, just recovering from the domestic violence aspect and abduction of my son has been the first and hardest part of the process.

I was for a while, a true believer and full on touchy-feely New Ager. And the thought control methods used by the group are insidiously effective. It has taken some time to realize, that in retrospect, the "therapies" administered were pretty darn nutso, and in fact more or less guaranteed to make my problems get worse. I mean really nutso.

And it took me some time to realize that my therapist basically facilitated my son's abduction. And it took me a long time to figure out that my therapists were not actually therapists, but just people who are familiar with the language of clinical psychology. Stupid me, I figured, anyone who chatges $60.00 an hour for their services, must be the real, deal, right?

Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: November 28, 2005 11:56AM

Glad you are finding good help.

Maybe eventually you can write an article for The Seattle Weekly, or perhaps work with one of their reporters like Philip Dawdy. Dawdy wrote articles on The New Gnostic Church awhile back, another destructive group.

I read through some of John L. Hoff's writings. Yuck. He seems to use lots of loaded language and blame.

Re: Goodenough Community-- A New Age/Psychotherapy Cult?
Posted by: yako ()
Date: April 04, 2015 03:31AM

Hi there. I know it has been a while since this subject was active, but I'm wondering if anything else has come of this subject? I'm doing some research and writing about intentional communities in the PNW, and would like to talk to people about their experiences with The Good Enough community over the past 40 years. This is really the only negative account I could find about them, and would really like to include diverse perspectives into my research. Please PM me if you have any information or experiences that you're willing to share! Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.