Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Warning: North Cascades Buddhist Priory / Shasta Abbey
Posted by: cordelia864 ()
Date: April 28, 2007 06:56PM

I am posting here to report on the abuse experienced by a member of my family who spent a year training as a so-called "monk" at the North Cascades Buddhist Priory in McKenna, Washington. She went to the place after having given up her entire life: her boyfriend, career, and possessions to entirely follow her "master" there. A year later she managed to escape after having very nearly died from the extreme abuse she suffered.
This small Buddhist community is part of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives associated with Shasta Abbey in California. It is run by Timothy Schomberg, who calls himself Reverend Master Koshin.
What happened to her is that she apparently had some kind of total nervous breakdown or became suddenly very ill and the community completely flipped out. She was told that she had become possessed by an evil spirit and that only through the harshest regimen of work and rituals could she be "saved". They refused to give her any kind of rest although she was so weak that she was incapable of walking or even standing without assistance. Her weight was rapidly dropping and she could not eat but they refused to give her any kind of nutrional supplements or even food between the regular meals. She was given no medical treatment whatsoever nor allowed to see a doctor and by the time she managed to get out and drag herself to a nextdoor neighbor's, she had lost over 30 lbs. and looked like an victim from a concentration camp.
The doctors said later that a combination of the illness, severe malnutrition and forced labour had brought her on the verge of major organ failure. Apparently not only Koshin Schomberg but the entire community had become so convinced that she was "possessed" that they were no longer able to see that she was in an extremely critical condition and desperately needed medical help.
My family has been completely shocked at what has happened to a beautiful healthy young woman as a result of what only can be considered severe abuse. Of course, Koshin Schomberg denies all responsibility for what happened and the mother organisation, the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, run by Haryo Young at Shasta Abbey, took no steps to investigate it although they were fully informed about what had taken place. Koshin Schomberg and the North Cascades Buddhist Priory continue to be in good standing with the head organisation, raising questions for me about the entire group, who so far have managed to maintain a realtively clean reputation.
I would be very interested in hearing from others who have experienced abuse or know someone who has at either Shasta Abbey or at the North Cascades Buddhist Priory or one of its sattelite "temples", as well as others who have had negative experiences at other Buddhist groups. I have always had a positive impression of this group and Buddhism in general, and find it unbelievable that something like this can happen without anyone taking any notice whatsoever. I hope that with this posting people will hear about what happened to my relative among the so-called compassionate monks and be warned....!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: member159a ()
Date: May 20, 2007 04:30AM

Response from Rev. Koshin Schomberg to allegations made by “cordelia864” posted on Aprtil 28, 2007 regarding North Cascades Buddhist Priory/Shasta Abbey.

1. The allegations made in this posting are very inaccurate. There is a world of difference between starving and abusing someone and trying to understand and help someone who is starving herself. I am happy to meet with the author of these allegations and discuss this situation insofar as I can do so without violating the principle of confidentiality of communication that still applies in my relationship with the individual concerned.

2. Any member of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives who believes that another member may have abused his or her position of trust may bring this concern directly to the Head of the Order. In the case in question, the person about whom the writer is so concerned never did this. A family member did discuss this situation with both the Head of the Order and myself, and the Head of the Order did look into the circumstances. All members of this Order are subject to disciplinary action in case of genuine abuse of authority.

3. Shasta Abbey is not involved in this matter in any way. Rev. Haryo Young is the Head of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives and is sometimes in residence at Shasta Abbey. He is not the abbot of Shasta Abbey and he does not represent Shasta Abbey. His function as Head of the Order is necessarily independent from any temple of the Order.

4. No one training at North Cascades Buddhist Priory has ever been denied access to medical help, adequate nutrition or adequate rest. All members of the monastic community are volunteers at all times and are free to leave at any time. No one has ever been detained against his or her will. Nor are individuals normally forced to seek medical help if they do not wish it. People here are adults who are treated like adults.

5. The idea of possession by evil spirits is utterly alien to Buddhist teachings. Buddhism emphasizes that each person is responsible at all times for his or her own actions. In addition, the idea of demonic possession presupposes a dualistic view of the world in which forces of good and evil are constantly at war with one another. In Buddhism, the cause of human suffering is understood to be greed, hate and delusion which, through faith and sincere effort, can be converted into compassion, love and wisdom.

Rev. Koshin Schomberg
North Cascades Buddhist Priory

Posted by: cordelia864 ()
Date: May 21, 2007 08:56PM

In response to Timothy Schomberg's posting:

1. Why was she not brought to a hospital when she was so incapicitated that she was unable to eat, speak or even use the bathroom without assistance?

2. Why was she forced to work and explicitly refused any additional rest when she could not even stand up without assistance?

3. Why was she refused the special nutritional supplements for weight gain that she asked for when she was clearly seriously underweight?

4. Why was she told that she was possessed by a "hungry ghost" or whatever it is that you call a spirit in your brand of Buddhism? And that she needed to be treated so harshly because this spirit refused to "convert to Buddhism"?

5. Why were there no consequences for the so-called "masters" responsible for the abuse if there really was a serious investigation into the matter by the head of the order?

No matter how you look at it, the North Cascades Buddhist Priory made some very serious mistakes that almost resulted in the death of a young woman. And Haryo Young, as head of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, is equally at fault for neglecting to fully investigate the matter and take action against those responsible. It may be that Shasta Abbey is not directly involved here, but they are part of the same order where something like this can take place. They are a part of an organisation that supports this kind of abuse and the subsequent cover up afterwards.
As such I can only repeat my warning about this place, the North Cascades Buddhist Priory, and all other "temples" associated with the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, including Shasta Abbey.

If you have a relative or friend who is living at one of these places I can only encourage you to get as informed as possible about what is really going on beyond the scenes and do what you can to help them get out.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 21, 2007 10:28PM

Is North Cascades Buddhist Priory/Shasta Abbey part of a recognized denomination of Buddhism?

How many members are there within the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives and how is it recognized?

How long has the order existed and who founded it?

Is Rev. Koshin Schomberg accountable to anyone?

How is he recognized and what are his credentials, education etc.?

Is there a democratically elected board and independently audited financial statement for the Cascades Buddhist Priory/Shasta Abbey?

Re: Warning: North Cascades Buddhist Priory / Shasta Abbey
Posted by: rhyoung ()
Date: November 02, 2007 07:59PM

Some of the questions posed by the moderator can be answered by information found on the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives web site. It is very easy to find with a simple google search. The following information may also be helpful; some of it is from the website.

The Order of Buddhist Contemplatives was founded by the late Rev. Master P.T.N.H. Jiyu-Kennett, a British born Buddhist teacher in the Serene Reflection Meditation (Soto Zen) tradition. She trained in Japan at one of the two main temples of the Soto Zen sect, Daihonzan Sojiji, as a disciple of the Chief Abbot, the Very Reverend Keido Chisan Koho Zenji.

In 1969, Rev. Kennett came to the Unites States and a year later founded The Zen Mission Society. In 1978 the name "Zen Mission Society" was changed to "The Order of Buddhist Contemplatives." Although the Order is an autonomous body independent of the Soto Zen Church of Japan, we maintain a relationship of mutual respect with them, and value the familial connections we have with our Dharma relatives in Japan and elsewhere.

The Order of Buddhist Contemplatives acts as registered non-profit international administrative and support organization for the monastic disciples and lay ministers practicing within our Sōtō Zen lineage and tradition. The purposes of the Order are to bring together its approximately 100 monks, and 125 lay ministers and congregations into one harmonious branch of the sangha, and to assure to the public that the teachings and practices offered by our priests and lay ministers remain true to the Dharma Transmitted to her. The role of the Order in governance and ethics is carried out via the establishment and implementation of order-wide rules of conduct for its members, via the creation of procedures for addressing grievances and resolving conflicts and, as with its other functions, by providing consultation and refuge-taking through its officers. All members of the Order are subject to the rules, procedures, and governance of the Order.

Most of the approximately twenty Temples of the Order are individually incorporated as non-profit entities in accord with the legal and financial regulations of their respective countries. All Temples of the Order must keep financial records and use accounting practices that are suitable to the requirements of their legal status. This may or may not include independent auditing.

Monks of the Order receive certification as a Parish Priest, Teacher of Buddhism, or Rev. Master when they have received the practical training associated with these ranks and have developed the appropriate level of spiritual maturity. Normally such certification is done by ones Master, often in consultation with his or her peers.

The family member about whom this post refers has filed a formal complaint, and, in accordance with our rules, her complaint will be investigated by a disciplinary committee that will advise me based on its findings. Out of respect for her privacy and that of the other parties concerned, and because of the ongoing nature of the enquiry, I feel the proper thing at this time is to refrain from discussing the details of her case in this public forum.

Rev. Haryo Young
Head of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives

Posted by: Fishbulb ()
Date: November 03, 2007 11:19AM

Quote: The purposes of the Order are to bring together its approximately 100 monks, and 125 lay ministers and congregations into one harmonious branch of the sangha, and to assure to the public that the teachings and practices offered by our priests and lay ministers remain true to the Dharma Transmitted to her (Reverend Kennett).

Is it usual Buddhist practice for a spiritual leader, in this case Reverend Kennett, to form a body of followers autonomous from its original organization? With my limited reading in Buddhism I had learned that lineage is highly regarded. I mean all due respect; if this is typical of a new monastery, to break organizational ties with its starting place, then do set me straight.

However, if this is not usual practice, then it would raise a bit of a red flag considering the accusations in this case.

Posted by: greg hamond ()
Date: November 06, 2007 11:39AM

hello
my experience is that the only "form" of buddism i have had trouble with is SGI...they recruit..they preach theirs is the ONE TRUE WAY.....
asking if its recognized !!!!! Buddism is like the ocean,,or christianity....,and their is no pope there!!!!
True Tibetan buddists acknowledge the Dalai Lama....

and Tibetans and Japanese fear or honor spirits and have exorcisms......

Posted by: rhyoung ()
Date: November 06, 2007 09:25PM

Fishbulb
Quote: " Is it usual Buddhist practice for a spiritual leader, in this case Reverend Kennett, to form a body of followers autonomous from its original organization? With my limited reading in Buddhism I had learned that lineage is highly regarded. I mean all due respect; if this is typical of a new monastery, to break organizational ties with its starting place, then do set me straight."

I do not think it is usual, but some sort of restructuring is no doubt common when a tradition is transplanted to another country that has marked cultural differences. Doing so needn't deny the religious link, nor change the core elements of the practice. It was not something we sought, and was more of a natural progression than an abrupt or conscious breaking away. Rev. Kennett was a registered member of the Soto Zen Church of Japan at the time of her death, a status she sought to maintain so as to preserve the integrity of the 'bridge' from East to West (although, of course, the deepest and most necessary integrity is found not on the bureaucratic level but in the quality of the practice). As far as I know, none of the currently active monastic members of the OBC are registered with the Head Office of the Soto Zen Church of Japan, and yet my understanding is that our training is respectedby the Japanese and appreciated for the fact that we are carrying on our religious family line. The following extracts from the foreword to Rev. Kennett's first book "Selling Water by the River" were written by her Japanese Master, Keido Chisan Koho Zenji. (References to the mindset of the Japanese bride may now be outdated.)

"When a religion is carried from country to country it is only the basic Truth that will survive; it is like a Japanese bride, who wears white at her wedding so her husband may realise that she is willing to be dyed to any colour, with regards to customs, ways and behaviour that he may wish. When a religion is married, as it were, to a new country, it must be willing to be dyed in the same way as the Japanese bride. ...thus did Soto Zen become the bride of Japan and gain acceptance throughout that country....But this expansion was impossible whilst Zen remained in its original Chinese state, since the Japanese people felt that a foreign religion was being forced upon them. The people of Western countries also, if Zen is ever to reach them properly, must colour it for themselves just as the Japanese did. Thus will Zen be reborn in the West. Like the Buddhist at rebirth, the new Zen will be neither completely new, being the same stream of Truth, nor completely old, as it will have new forms, ways, customs and culture."

While we are not under the jurisdiction of the Soto Zen Church of Japan we nonetheless have evolved (and continue to evolve) a preceptual and ethical framework within which our members must train, and which Rev. Kennett placed herself under as well. Without such a context one would be in the risky position of being answerable to no one.

Haryo Young

Posted by: exxobc ()
Date: October 11, 2009 06:12PM

There is now a private forum for former members of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives at [obcdialog.2.forumer.com]. If you are interested in joining please mail us at exxobc@googlemail.com . We welcome anyone who shares our critical view of what goes on at OBC training centers: Shasta Abbey, the North Cascades Buddhist Priory, Throssel Hole etc.

Posted by: CJNelson ()
Date: November 10, 2009 11:44AM

Hello. In addition to the private forum mentioned above,

there is also a different, publicly-viewable site at

thanks,
CJ

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.