Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
South Park Shreds Scientology
Posted by: belle1 ()
Date: January 16, 2006 05:48PM

I think it's extremely rude. Regardless of whether you agree with another person's beliefs or not, I don't think it's very nice to attack them for what they believe in. If you don't believe it then fine- but it would be nice if you could still respect other people's rights to practice whatever faith they choose. How would you feel if you were attacked for your beliefs? I don't believe in Scientology either, however I wouldn't be so ignorant and stupid to go and attack the people who do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 16, 2006 09:02PM

Scientologists are quite active at proselytizing. And celebrity Scientologists use their ability to get attention, like Tom Cruise, to promote the organization whenever they can.

Scientology's actual beliefs are kept secret. That is, you can't find out what the so-called "religion" is all about until you have paid for it.

However, due to the Internet those secret beliefs are now easily accessible to anyone for free.

See [www.xenu.net]

This all has become a matter for public discussion because Scientology and Scientologists have made it one.

Also because Scientology has reportedly hurt so many people through its beliefs.

See [www.culteducation.com]

A person may believe whatever they want, but they cannot do whatever they wish in the name of those beliefs.

Posted by: YellowBeard ()
Date: March 16, 2006 06:53AM

Isaac Hayes has quit South Park, stating that he is unhappy with jokes about religion in episodes of the hit cartoon.

Hayes, who has provided the voice of Chef since the show first started, has asked to be let out of his South Park contract and has criticised the show’s producers for including jokes about religion in recent episodes. "There is a place in this world for satire,” said Hayes in a statement, “but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins."

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honoured," he added. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

Although Hayes has not pointed to one particular episode, it would seem that the jokes about Scientology – the legendary soul star’s religion – are what caused him to quit, as stated by South Park’s co-creator Matt Stone. "[b:a2a90d2ab1]This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology[/b:a2a90d2ab1]," said Stone.

"[b:a2a90d2ab1]He has no problem - and he's cashed plenty of cheques - with our show making fun of Christians.[/b:a2a90d2ab1]"
~ Chef Quits South Park

I added the bold to the Matt Stone's comment at the end. It's very true, they've ripped Christianity this way and that for years, and Isaac Hayes has never had a problem with "cashing cheques" from those episodes. So with him talking about respecting religion all of a sudden -- it's total hypocrisy, and I'm glad that was mentioned in the article.

Here's an earlier article on this before he quit:

SOUTH PARK creators TREY PARKER and MATT STONE avoided poking fun at Scientology for years because they didn't want to upset show regular ISAAC HAYES.

The outrageous animators recently took a swing at the controversial religious movement in an episode, which found humour in TOM CRUISE and his sexuality - after growing tired of being told they couldn't attack Scientology by TV executives.

Parker explains, "To be honest, what kept us from doing it before was Isaac Hayes. We knew he was a Scientologist and he's an awesome guy. We're like, 'Let's just avoid that for now.'"

But, after hearing how comedy illusionist pal PENN JILLETTE was banned from poking fun at the controversial religion on his cable show BULLS**T, Stone and Parker decided it was time to point their comedy fingers at Scientology and it's most famous convert.

Parker adds, "Finally, we just had to tell Isaac, 'Dude, we totally love working with you, and this is nothing personal, it's just we're South Park, and if we don't do this, we're belittling everything else we've ripped on.'"
~ Hayes kept South Park Creators Away From Scientology

Interesting hearing that Penn & Teller were banned from covering Scientology in their show, and that that's what inspired South Park into finally covering it.

Posted by: YellowBeard ()
Date: March 19, 2006 06:29AM

Sorry, don't mean to double post on this, but found a good quote regarding Isaac Hayes' statement on why he quit.

Stone told The AP that he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."
I thought that was a good point.

Also, it looks as though Scientology has forced Comedy Central into not airing the episode on Scientology (entitled [i:26830d3ae4]Trapped in the Closet[/i:26830d3ae4]) anymore.

New York - [i:26830d3ae4]South Park[/i:26830d3ae4] has declared war on Scientology.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of the animated cable television satire, are digging in against the celebrity-endorsed religion after a controversial episode mocking outspoken Scientologist Tom Cruise was yanked from the Comedy Central schedule on Wednesday.

Stone and Parker released a statement on Wednesday, saying: "So, Scientology, you may have won this battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun.

"Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies.

"You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail."

On Thursday, the internet blogger hollywoodinterrupted.com said Cruise had threatened to not promote [i:26830d3ae4]Mission: Impossible 3[/i:26830d3ae4] if the offending episode ran.

Comedy Central is owned by Viacom, as is Paramount, which is putting out the film.

[b:26830d3ae4]Travolta enters the closet [/b:26830d3ae4]

On Friday, Cruise's representative, Arnold Robinson, said the mega-star had made no such demands.

The episode in question, entitled [i:26830d3ae4]Trapped in the Closet[/i:26830d3ae4] was first aired in November.

It shows Scientology leaders hailing Stan, one of the show's four devilish fourth graders, as a saviour.

A cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out until John Travolta, another famous Scientologist, enters the closet to try to get him out.

Earlier this week Isaac Hayes, another celebrity Scientologist and voice of the ladies' man school cafeteria cook Chef, quit the show over the episode.

Hayes said he could no longer tolerate its religious "intolerance and bigotry".

Stone and Parker did not buy that either.

On Monday, Stone said: "This is 100% having to do with his faith in Scientology. He has no problem, and he's cashed plenty of checks, with our show making fun of Christians."
~ Scientology battle is raging

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.