Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
South Park Shreds Scientology
Posted by: Templar ()
Date: November 18, 2005 07:40AM

OMG I havent laughed so hard in ages. Well, maybe since the last episode of south park but still. I was inspired to post here and give you all a heads up. Tonight and this week the new episode of South Park is a MUST WATCH for anyone who comes to this site!!

I promise not only will this show be humorous but it will be informative for the Scientology Illiterate.

Tonight at 10pm on Comedy Central, and throughout the week as well.

Watch it gang!! You deserve the laugh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: YellowBeard ()
Date: November 18, 2005 03:37PM

Templar, thanks for the heads up. I'm glad you mentioned it because I only catch South Park off and on. I'm sure I would have missed this one.

I figured they were just going to mildly poke and make fun of some aspects of Scientology, but figured what the heck, it'll still be worth watching.

Wow! I just watched it tonight. This was as exciting as when Rick Ross was on Penn & Teller. They really slammed Scientology and held no punches back!

They started off by showing how they lure people in with their fake personality tests, which inevitably show that there's something wrong with you and how you need to pay for auditing etc. to fix you up. They showed how ridiculous the E-meters are. Then they flat out exposed their wild Sci-Fi philosophy and plastered across the screen in big letter: "This is what Scientologists really believe".

They ended the show challenging Scientology to sue them!

I'm not surprised that Trey Parker and Matt Stone (creators of South Park) would be up to doing something like this, but I am surprised that the network (Comedy Central) would say, "sure, let's air this". Cheers to them for having the courage to do so.

This'll be interesting to follow to see if Scientology will legally challenge them and try to force them into not airing the episode anymore. If anyone catches any wind on any Scientology response, please post.

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: November 19, 2005 04:55AM

That was funny episode! DH and I watched it the other night.

Posted by: Angela ()
Date: November 19, 2005 04:58PM

Cute lol... but I wonder what it says about us that we enjoy watching such a serious issue turned into comedy... *sigh*

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: November 20, 2005 05:10AM

That we're intelligent.

Date: November 20, 2005 04:04PM

Angela wrote:

Cute lol... but I wonder what it says about us that we enjoy watching such a serious issue turned into comedy... *sigh*

For South Park, I think they covered it in a serious way, mixed with humor. They showed quite clearly how they lure people into the cult with "free" personality tests. They made it clear that these are fake tests just to lure you in for paid "treatment". They spelled out their crazy beliefs in alien souls possessing people and evil intergalactic rulers, etc. while literally spelling out across the screen that that's what they really believe and that it's just the product of a science fiction writer's imagination. They even let us know about how L. Ron Hubbard cruised around on his yacht stocked with young boys.

I think they did a great job in getting a serious message out, and did not trivialize it. Also, through their bravery in publicly challenging Scientology to sue them, they embolden others to speak out.

The fact that it's a popular comedy show gives this message a greater audience. I don't feel that it's been trivialized with their comedy in any way.

They've taken the fight against Scientology into the open, into the mainstream's eyes. They're fighting the good fight here, and risking serious legal harassment and any other tactics that L. Ron Hubbard's doctrine calls for to fight against opponents. I may be wrong, but I'd guess that South Park has reached more people with that one episode than any other Scientology opponent has. So I wouldn't knock their efforts.

Posted by: Dynamix ()
Date: November 20, 2005 07:34PM

Angela
It is a serious issue, very serious. But attacking any scientology with comedy is a really good way to tackle this hoax of a religion and to warn people about it. It says a lot about scientology that simply stating the facts about it is comedy in itself.

Posted by: samp ()
Date: December 03, 2005 09:37AM

Here's clip of that southpark episode:

[wittenburgdoor.com]

Date: December 07, 2005 05:28AM

Hey, thanks for the link to the South Park clips on the episode. Didn't know these were going around. Very cool.

For those that haven't seen the full episode, I recommend catching it when you can. The clips highlight some key parts, but a lot is missed.

And I see they're getting some official recognition from the cult education community, this is great:

The recent South Park TV episode in which South Park educates the global community through humor on the dangers of the destructive, mind control cult Scientology has done a great service to societies and families everywhere their show airs around the world. This show is also a great educational tool on the dangers of destructive cults in general. (Clips of this episode are currently making it onto other TV and news shows all over the world.)

In light of the cult’s infamous reputation for retaliation and lawsuits, it took a great courage to accurately portray the brainwashed cult dependency of Tom Cruise and John Travolta as well as criminal-like nature of Scientology and its current leader David Miscavige. Because of this courage as well as this episode’s vital educational value to society on the dangers of Scientology and cults in general, FACTNet names the entire South Park TV Show Staff our [i:2a9162e35f]FACTNet Person(s) of the Year for 2005[/i:2a9162e35f].
~ FACTNet.org

And very well earned. The episode was well written, covering the topic surprisingly well. And I didn't think about it before, but as mentioned above, this helps educate many on cults [i:2a9162e35f]in general[/i:2a9162e35f]. They lay out how the game is played, which is universal to pretty much all cults. So it equips the average person with a touch of healthy skepticism when they encounter similar situations.

Mainstream cultic education. Wow, never thought I'd see the day.

So cheers to the entire South Park staff involved, and cheers to the network, Comedy Central, for giving them a thumbs up to air it even with the challenges to sue them. Very bold.

[img:2a9162e35f]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/beatlefreak/EMOTICHEERS.gif[/img:2a9162e35f]

Posted by: glam ()
Date: December 07, 2005 05:37AM

You can view the entire episode here:

[scientomogy.com]

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.