Homophobic Yoga Cult Invades Scottish Island
Posted by: SeekingTruth ()
Date: September 27, 2009 04:56PM

One Thousand Yoga Fans Flock To Peace Island

A mass pilgrimage is under way to a Scottish island bought and renamed in the name of peace by followers of a controversial yoga movement.

Wee Cumbrae, a 700-acre island off the Ayrshire coast, will now also be known as Peace Island after the purchase by devotees of Patanjali Yog, a brand of yoga practised by millions.

Around 1,000 people are travelling to their new island base for its blessing by their main man, the guru known as Swami Ramdev.

A distinctive figure in saffron robes with his long flowing locks and beard, he has attracted criticism due to his controversial views and claims about the powers of his yoga.

Ramdev has said the physical movement and breathing techniques involved can help cure cancer and treat AIDS.

Recently, he described homosexuals as "sick people" and said they should be sent to hospitals for treatment.

The furore has not stopped two Indian-born entrepreneurs turning Wee Cumbrae into Ramdev's new branch headquarters on the Clyde.

[uk.news.yahoo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2009 05:19PM by SeekingTruth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Homophobic Yoga Cult Invades Scottish Island
Date: September 27, 2009 05:29PM

It is interesting to note that the reported purchase of the Island were owners of a care home. It has always been said that if you ever want to get rich own a care home. So this homophobic cult has been sponsored by the savings of the elderly and infirm - all UK citizens; topped-up by the hard-won earnings of their respective relatives; to say nothing about the contributions from the local Council via its hapless Council Tax Payers.

"Glasgow care home owners Sam and Sunita Poddar bought the island for £2.5m in July and have now given it dual identity - they call it Shanti Dwipam, Sanskrit for Peace Island."

Date: September 30, 2009 06:30PM

Wee Cumbrae not to be re-named Peace Island

Isle be coming ... Swami Ramdev Maharaj is coming to Cumbrae and has over 80 million followers worldwide.

The new owners of Little Cumbrae have dropped plans to re-title it as 'Peace Island'.

Representatives for the Poddar family, who have spent £2 million on purchasing the island to convert it into a yoga headquarters for international expert Swami Ramdev Maharaj, have revealed that they will only refer to the island as Little Cumbrae.

The website to promote the event www.weecumbrae.org has no references to 'Peace Island'.

However, the charity Patanjali Yog Peeth (UK) Trust website [pypt.org] still refers to next Sunday's inauguration day as an Open Day event on Peace Island.

[www.largsandmillportnews.com]

=============

Someone commented:

My yoga teacher and I had been eagerly looking forward to the event with baba ramdev on the wee cumbrae. on arrival it was a complete shambles. We were informed that 1,700 people were due to visit the island. to expect to accomodate this volume of people on this beautiful virgin island was ludicrous and a violation. our little island must have been trembling when it saw this onslaught. The island's landing areas are not equipped for this volume.

Originally there were boats going over ar 7, 8, 9,10, 11 and 12 o'clock. boats to carry 80 and 212 passengers alternately. By my calculation this would never accommodate the number of tickets issued. You then cancelled several of the time spots which would further reduce the amount of people able to go.

People travelled from all over and spent money on accomodation etc (fortunately i and my yoga teacher stay locally).

The ferries then took passengers, unwittingly, to Millport on the big Cumbrae and tried to transport them on tiny open boats to the wee cumbrae. This could have turned out to be a human disaster. Where was the planning, where was the health and safety, how much blame lies with the organisers and how much with the ferry company?

Fortunately my yoga teacher was getting extremely bad vibes as we waited for the boat at Fairlie, so we and a few others decided to go home.

Did the event take place and how many people were let down?

I feel for the people who traveeled so far in good faith. The scale of this disorganisation does not help to give a good image to our beautiful country.

Awaiting a answer

Disappointed - xxxx

=============

Date: September 30, 2009 06:52PM

'Gay cure' yoga guru to to set up centre on Scottish island

By Jessica Geen • September 8, 2009 - 10:43

Swami Baba Ramdev is opening a yoga centre on a Scottish island

An Indian yoga guru who claimed the practice could cure homosexuality is to set up a yoga and meditation centre on a remote Scottish island.

Swami Baba Ramdev, whose teachings are followed by millions of Indian families, challenged a recent Delhi high court that homosexuality should be decriminalised by claiming that homosexuality was a "disease" but could be cured by yoga.

[www.pinknews.co.uk]

Date: September 30, 2009 06:53PM

Gay Indian prince: 'Yoga didn't turn me straight'

By Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk • August 6, 2009 - 11:27

Manvendra Singh Gohil rubbished claims of yoga being a gay cure

A gay Indian prince has criticised claims that yoga can 'cure' homosexuality.

Following a recent Delhi High Court ruling to decrimalise gay sex, popular yoga guru Swami Baba Ramdev filed a challenge saying homosexuality was a "disease" and could be cured by yoga.

However, Manvendra Singh Gohil, prince of the state of Rajpipla, who was disowned by his family for being gay, has rubbished the claims.

[www.pinknews.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.