Need Advice - Choices Seminars (Thelma Box)
Posted by: Pinky ()
Date: September 23, 2009 10:22AM

Hi There,
My sister and her husband have both attended the 'Choices Seminars' founded by Thelma Box.

[www.choicesseminars.com]

My sister has volunteered as a coach at the seminars too, and has even paid for friends of hers to do the seminars ($2500 each!). She has not stopped talking about how great the seminars are ever since she first went, and has been trying to convince me to go too, offering to pay for me to attend.
I have been trying to do some research about Choices, because my sister says she can't tell me anything about it, i just have to 'wait and see' by attending.

Choices is listed on Wikipedia as a Large Group Awareness Training (LGAT) organisation.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Someone on a forum on this website (http://forum.culteducation.com/read.php?4,1931,page=2) mention they used techniques used by another LGAT called 'Lifespring' or 'Legacy', similar to 'Landmark Forum', Lifespring has actually been sued for mentally harming people - [en.wikipedia.org]

Please can someone tell me, what happens on the 5 day Choices Seminar? I am rather concerned, because I have Bipolar Affective Disorder which has been rather hard to stabilise (only diagnosed less than 2 years ago), and I have heard of certain vulnerable people (maybe people like myself?) Having psychotic episodes during or after attending similar programs- in fact, a recent case in Sydney Australia, occurred where a woman with no prior history of mental illness attended a program called 'Turning Point' & became psychotic and jumped to her death a few days later.
[www.smh.com.au]

If anyone has any information at all about Choices please post on here, anything will be useful. I can see my Sister & her husband are doing well, and there may be benefits in it for me, but I feel like I can't make an informed decision with the veil of secrecy surrounding it.

Many Thanks,

Pinky

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.