Visions of reptiles-such images not special at all
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 29, 2014 08:40AM

Run a Google Scholar search searches on hallucinations and reptiles or reptilian.

[scholar.google.com]

Found this

[psychedelic-information-theory.com]

From a chapter in an online book,
Psychedelic Information Theory

Shamanism in the Age of Reason
Psychedelic Information Theory : Chapter 09

Entoptic Hallucination

Entoptic vs. Eidetic Hallucination

Figure 8 : Fractals generated by computer programs and nature are isoforms of nonlinear psychedelic hallucinations.

Geometric hallucinations, or phosphenes, are considered to be entoptic, meaning they are a product of excitation and destabilization in spatial coupling between neural assemblies in the retina and visual cortex, and produce complex patterns similar to fractal recursion (Fig. 8). Entoptic hallucinations can be contrasted with eidetic hallucinations, which are more fully formed images that appear from visual memory or imagination. Psychedelic eidetic hallucinations are generally more explicitly personal than the abstract geometric forms associated with flicker phosphenes.

Eidetic hallucination is considered to be rendered photographically or presented as a 3D virtual model. In psychedelic intoxication a strange conversion of eidetic and entoptic phenomena can occur when an eidetic image or symbol reproduces into a marching grid or kaleidoscopic network of repeating symbols with a juxtaposed eidetic image emerging within the repeating superstructure. For example, a subject may hallucinate a geometric grid of quickly spinning colored triangles, and as those triangles flicker across the visual field they suddenly cohere into a 3D wire-frame mesh of a more fully-realized eidetic snapshot of a human body or face. In addition to triangles, the overlaying grid may be composed of dots, circles, honeycomb, spiders, insects, centipedes, worms, snakes, reptiles, lizards, question marks, swastikas, teeth, piano keys, skulls, flowers, leaves, stars, eyes, billiard balls, dice, playing cards, human faces, alien faces, dancing elves, skeletons, clowns, jesters, writhing bodies, branching trees, cells, bacteria, paisleys, DNA, Japanese kanji, Byzantine tile patterns, Mesoamerican brick patterns, Native American totem patterns, Polynesian tiki patterns, and similar repeating archetypal forms.16 The fast flicker rate and embedded kaleidoscopic nature of this type of compound hallucination often defies formal description or the ability to accurately capture in art or memory. The hallucinogenic perception of a complex embedded symbolic grid or kinetic fractal superstructure is wholly unique to the tryptamine psychedelic experience; it may be the visual essence of what makes an experience authentically psychedelic

Options: ReplyQuote
Bruce Parry on Ayahuasca -- vision of a snake
Date: March 29, 2014 09:54PM

BBC - Bruce Parry's Amazon - BlogJan 22, 2008 ... Bruce Parry. Mother Ayahuasca versus Bruce Parry .... At one time, I met the
snake that I'd encountered earlier in the day. She asked me why ...
www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/.../01/mother_ayahuasca_versus_bruce.html - 36k - Cached - Similar pages

BBC - Bruce Parry's Amazon - BlogJan 25, 2008 ... A Conversation with a Snake ... Bruce has had a memorable night on ayahuasca,
not quite what he was expecting. I've done my stint and I'm ...
www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/.../01/a_conversation_with_a_snake_1.html - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

Re: Visions of reptiles-such images not special at all
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: April 01, 2014 06:57AM

I've smoked DMT and 5-Meo-DMT twice each. Whenever I have smoked DMT or 5-Meo-DMT (I have never drank ayahuasca), I have never seen "self-transforming machine elves", snakes, reptiles, aliens, nor anything of the sort. In fact, I saw no "visuals" at all, but rather went into a "white-out" state in which I could see nothing whatever.

These DMT "trips" of mine were intensely immersive psychological and emotional experiences; it was as if I were taken out of material world, and got to temporarily experience Pure Being. I was experiencing life and death simultaneously. It was a little scary, to experience the total dissolusion of my ego. It was the equivalent of riding a psychic wormhole into deep inner space. At once terrifying and ecstatic, and essentially ineffable. I was back to baseline in less than an hour, and would not recommend this stuff to psychedelic novices. I've smoked DMT and 5-Meo-DMT twice each.

What does this thread have to do with "Cults," Sects, and "New Religious Movements", anyway?

Date: April 02, 2014 03:50AM

Because some claim special authority and claim special spiritual insight based on visions they had during ayahuasca and other drugs--and think they are entitled to special authority due to visions of snakes, reptile, lizards...which, it appears are not special at all but merely among the common effects reported from use of certain entheogens.

IT can be useful to demythologize such claims -- and this,readers,has everything to do with cults and new religious movements.

It is a step toward liberation to discover that a guru's seemingly unique insights are not unique, after all.

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: April 02, 2014 05:38AM

Another thing: I once, while at the 1995 Rainbow Gathering (which was held near Taos, NM that year), drank a bunch of Jimsonweed tea. This was when I was much younger, and less wise than I am now; I was in my turn-me-on-to-anything phase. Anyway, I wanted to see for myself what Carlos Castaneda was writing about in The Teachings of Don Juan. (It turns out that Castaneda was a fraud too, just like Leary, McKenna, Pinchbeck, and all the rest of the "psychedelic gurus", but that's another story).

Some guy at the Gathering had a big jug of Jimsonweed tea and was giving glasses of it out to whoever wanted to try it. I drank a mug of it. This was a big mistake on my part.

[www.culteducation.com]

Anyway, my experience with datura lasted for a full couple of days, and was like having an extended waking nighmare full of frank and vivid visual and auditory hallucinations. It was not a "fun" time in any sense of the word. Most if this experience, I cannot recall, as I did not know what was real and what was not.

It's a miracle that I did not get hurt somehow. So I never tried datura again, and would never recommend that stuff to anybody under any circumstances. Atropine and scopolamine are VERY dangerous, not to speak of DMT and its analogues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.