Pages: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Crimes of Mata Amma Amritanandamayi aka Ammachi
Date: November 11, 2013 08:31AM

Amma Amritanandamayi - Patron Saint of Amritapuri Rapists

Holy Hell is another book exposing cult mafia leader Amma Amritanandamayi and directly gives evidence of raping , stealing, beatings and murder by Amma and her henchmen who pretend to be celibate Hindu swamis. India's top gurus are exposed for corruption pimping, money laundering, pedophilia and drug taking.

Amma's audacious marketing plan was to take her Kali sacrificing cult scam beyond India's superstitious borders and rebrand it as humanitarian work. She duped a few gullible politicians like Tanja Karpela but most people have higher standards and never believed her scam. But right now thousands of Westerners are being physically and mentally abused in Amma's Amritapuri ashram which has produced sex freaks such as Amma monk 'Rishi' Taavi Kassila .

Kassila who was in court protesting that a blog exposing his herpes-spreading lifestyle had violated his privacy could not deny accusation of sex with teenage girls. Amma had ordered Kassila to repeatedly attack a former girlfriend to shut her up. Her blog pages have been removed to comply with a court order but they have been copied to our blog (see Tarina rakkauden apostolista ). Amma who stopped distribution of a book in India which accuses her of being involved with murders will not be able to stop publication of her ex-secretary Gail "Gayatri" Tredwell's book Holy Hell.

"Ammachi has had sex with several of her swamis, numerous times, before and AFTER they became swamis, all the while she was preaching celibacy as necessary for her devotees."

"Balu was standing on Amma's bed … and Amma was kneeling before him with her head just inches from his groin."

Read Gail "Gayatri" Tredwell's expose of vicious criminal leader Amma in her the book "Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness" available from Amazon (and eBookPie, Kobo Books and iTunes as "Holy Hell")

Options: ReplyQuote
Earlier discussions of Ammachi
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 11, 2013 10:32PM

For earlier discussions of Ammachi go here. Some posts may refer to her briefly while focusing on other groups; other posts will lead the reader to earlier discussion threads.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Read the reviews of Holy Hell on Amazon.com
Date: November 27, 2013 08:32AM

[www.amazon.com]

57 Reviews
5 star: (29)
4 star: (1)
3 star: (1)
2 star: (4)
1 star: (22)
"I escaped the clutches of Amma many years ago, and when I tried to speak out about it, I was harassed and cyberstalked into silence. In this regard, Gail is a far stronger woman than I and she has my utmost respect for risking so much to share the truth."

Note how people either love or dislike the book, with very few giving medium range reviews. This is IMO a sign that a book is worth reading.

130 of 173 people found the following review helpful
THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE FAKE. My Utmost Respect To Gail Tredwell., November 8, 2013
By Kalliope AmorphousAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness (Kindle Edition)
This Amazon review section is quickly becoming a typical smear campaign by the cult. It can be argued that this smear campaign is doing a wonderful job of backing up the information contained in this book by revealing the true nature of the cult and its leader.

I escaped the clutches of Amma many years ago, and when I tried to speak out about it, I was harassed and cyberstalked into silence. In this regard, Gail is a far stronger woman than I and she has my utmost respect for risking so much to share the truth.

I have still not fully healed from the trauma caused by my involvement and separation from this group and from the subsequent stalking, harassment, and character assassination levelled against me when I tried to tell the truth. I am only re-emerging for this one moment to thank Gail and to offer my respect to her for having the strength to do what she has done. It pains me to see the attempts to squash this important book with fake reviews and to see someone with so much courage come under attack.

I would like to let everyone reading these reviews know that the negative reviews are an attempt by the organization and its followers to discredit Gail and drive people away from reading the truth. They did it to me and they have done it to many others who have spoken out.

You can also expect the negative reviews to grow on a daily basis, as well as for the positive reviews to be voted down. They have historically embraced the lowest of the low tactics in the name of damage control. It is character assassination, an attempt to hide the truth, and nothing more. However,these negative reviews corroborate the atrocities and hypocrisy detailed in the book and prove how obsessed they are with silencing everyone who has left.

These negative "reviewers" have not read the book. None of the negative reviews show the "Amazon Verified Purchase" notation. They are simply members of, or supporters of the cult. They will ridicule the book and make personal attacks against Gail. They will try to make her life a living hell and make her look like a monster, because this is how they operate. Do not let them win.

I have been part of the cult, I have read the book, and there is nothing cheap or sensational about it. It's clear that Gail took a long time to heal in order to be able to write such an honest and direct account of her 20 years involved with the organization. This is a beautiful, human, touching account of one woman's journey from spiritual bondage to spiritual freedom and strength. If it contains shocking truths that many people would rather have kept secret, so be it. Even those shocking truths were presented with sensitivity and gracefulness (not an easy thing to do).

To say that this book might save peoples lives and release them from bondage is an understatement. The false reviews are from those who want to keep people in bondage, because the entire infra$tructure of the cult depends on it.

How many more ruined lives and suicides will it take for the world and the media to wake up to the fact that "the hugging saint" is a mirage?

In reply to this review

Bharat Trivedi says:
Thank You for coming out with the truth. Hopefully you recover well and can come up with your own account of the inequities that made you leave this cult. The trouble is very few can actually back up Gayatri's account because few at any point of time belong to the inner circle that actually knows what goes on behind the hug-mill.

Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2013 10:44:38 PM PST
Kalliope Amorphous says:
I by no means could tell the tale of an insider. I was merely one of the many who were swept up in the lies, brainwashing, mind games, and manipulation.

However, there was favoritism shown toward me among the Western devotees, and I never understood exactly why. Because of this, I spent a lot of time close to Amma, asking questions, listening, and closely observing her actions. In the end, a veil was lifted and I saw the entire operation for what it was: a theatrical mirage.

Worst of all was the character assassination and harassment which occurred when I decided to leave and speak my story.

In a sense, this book has helped me pick up the sword again, if only briefly, to add another voice of support

Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2013 6:18:57 PM PST
Kalliope Amorphous says:
I may eventually do that, but I can't right now. I have heard only very recently that the internet terrorist responsible for stalking hundreds of ex-devotees of Sai Baba and Amma has apparently died.

Until there is further elaboration or confirmation of his death (I have read today that the death announcement could be a hoax) I am not comfortable revisiting it in depth.

Also, this guy dragged people and websites unknown to me into his smear campaign (including a "pet psychic", someone whom I licensed my photos to, and some bizarre people on Ebay) so I wouldn't even know how to begin to address the level of insanity.

It's very complicated and would be too emotionally draining to get into right now, as I have twice been the target of stalking (once for leaving the cult and once due to an obsessive romantic relationship). I'm not ready to drag these things out in public right now.

Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2013 12:54:34 PM PST
Kalliope Amorphous says:
FYI Amazon has just removed three of the worst fake reviews, including the "schizophrenic" comment.

I have contacted Amazon and they are aware of the smear-campaign reviews. They will remove most reviews which contain personal attacks. Click the "report abuse" button on those reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2013 6:00:57 PM PST
Marit Hegge says:

I was also an Amma devotee for 8 years and have been to stay in the ashram.

Yes the character assassination also happened to me when spoke up online on what I thought was a private closed members group expressing some doubts and concerns, at the beginning of 2012. An email was circulated within a month of me speaking up, which I found out about via a friend, between the senior Australian organisers and a renunciate from the ashram, saying I was mentally ill. Inferring I was suffering from psychotic episodes. (This inference of mental illness has been used time and again to attack those who complain or leave them). An attempt was made to haul me up before the main Swamini, the one who sits behind Amma onstage, for "discipline". Then when I would not comply the slanderous email was circulated amongst my friends in the organisation, including a man who had been my partner, and I was verbally bad-mouthed, after having been screamed at by this renunciate who told me she would "tell everyone about me". At this point I realised that I was truly in a CULT and I totally walked from the whole thing.

Amma sucks people in the west into her cult under the guise that she is this great humanitarian who radiates love. Yet the longer you stay in her org the more apparent it becomes to you that this is NOT all about love. It is about exploiting others for their free labour, about getting them to hand over their money to her organisation in the guise of it being used for her "charities" - that one now busted - as can be seen on the Foreign Currency declaration site of the Indian Office of Home Affairs that in fact less than 10% of these foreign donations being used for actual charities.

Some of those who defend her and then go and attack others online, write bad reviews etc are so deluded that they possibly will never escape her clutches. Then there are the cynical ones who are connected to her inner circle, who are possibly getting benefits for themselves by being in this position. I noted that a couple who have attacked Gail in these reviews also have the same online names they used last year to attack her on a couple of online discussion groups, when she was interviewed by Rolling Stone magazine prior to the book publication. One can only wonder about their vested interests, given the HUGE amount of money this organisation has - $342 million just in the foreign bank accounts investigators have managed to find out about!

I think the readers should also keep in mind that it is highly likely those who wrote the bad reviews have not even read the book, but are now parroting what they have been told to say about it by the ashram. I know that the word has gone out to the local satsang groups across the world now that they should not buy this book. You will also see on other sites that sell this book that the very same negative reviews as posted on this site are also on the others, by the same authors.

One of the reasons also why so many have NOT spoken up against this cult is because of the real fear they live under. For those in India a fear of actual physical harm. And for those in the west who still have family in the cult, the threat of turning family members against them, or of bad things actually happening to those family members living in India in her ashram. The fear that they will be slandered and bad mouthed, that their employers will be sent nasty things about them. That other cult members will phone them up and abuse them. The reason why other senior members have left in the past and not spoken up. Many have just wanted to sever all ties and start a new life, never speaking out lest trouble be caused for them in that new life.

Gail is to be applauded in her courage for speaking out. To have the integrity to acknowledge the role she played in bringing this woman to the west and to help make her famous. She did this knowing her privacy would be invaded and her life turned upside down, but felt that she could no longer live with herself unless she made amends.

I was lucky in that I had no other family members in this cult. I was a very strong minded individual who would not allow myself to be frightened by these people. Complained and threatened with legal action after I was slandered. Still continue to speak out whenever I can. Have made it known to them if I am EVER physically or verbally threatened I will now take it to the police.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
14 of 18 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2013 7:59:54 PM PST
Kalliope Amorphous says:
I'm sorry that you went through something similar.

They will do anything to discredit those who tell the truth. At one point, they scoured the Internet and found something I had written (or maybe it was a petition I had signed) to legalize medical marijuana. They took this and spun it to call me a "drug addict" who couldn't be trusted. They also used the unstable/mentally ill thing on me too. It's interesting how they use the same exact tactics on everyone.

I guess the good thing is that through the way they loaded this Amazon review page with similar tactics and smears, they are showing the whole world the lengths that they go to in order to try and shut their escapees up.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
8 of 11 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 8:12:55 AM PST
Dave the Math Guy says:
Marit Hegge and Kalliope Amorphous, I salute you for making your experiences and knowledge available to this forum.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
8 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 11:23:52 PM PST
Steph says:
Thank you for telling the truth about what you endured, at the hands of the Amma cult, K.A. Honesty is power.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
6 of 9 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 8:18:18 PM PST
Lynnao says:
Holy Hell is right... How tragic that people have suffered due to this stupid person.. Healings to you
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
5 of 9 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 6:42:34 PM PST
C. Keniley says:
Dear All,
When I read these posts and see the tone of the detractors, It opens my mind to how people so easily embrace victim psychology and negativity in our culture. I have been around Amma and her org for over 25 years and the claims made are really beyond any reality. First and foremost, the is no coercion to "join up" or do anything at all around Amma. In fact it is just the opposite. You have to pay your own way and can leave at any time with not even a peep. it is the most laisez faire scene ever. It is indecent exaggeration to suggest that people are throwing themselves off of balconies etc. just ridiculous. I knew Gail casually during her days with Amma many years ago and was relieved when she left, because she looked exhausted. There is absolutely no doubt that trying to stay up with Amma's schedule is a very, very difficult task. Since I've actually lived the life, I know that its grueling to get so little sleep, but only personal pride keeps you going, you should quit if you are getting past your limit. The other problems are 95% caused by the cultural differences between India and the West. Westerners, especially of the very politically correct bent have a tough time with the gritty life of India and Africa. They are different worlds from ours and they do not play by our rules. Trying to make the rest of the world think and act like us is the just another assault of the West on traditional cultures since colonialism. It is extemely popular in the West to not like Gurus and Guru culture. I get it. So join a group, club or gym that you like, and don't go to see Gurus. PS I am not the voice of any org, these are my own opinions and I am not a part of any official group. They probably wouldn't have me. Peace out y'all.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
7 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2013 5:42:50 PM PST
C. Keniley says:
For the record, NOBODY in the Amma org gets any money or benefits, this is laughable for anyone who knows anything about the scene. I understand that this all emotional and such, but most of the stuff being bantered about here is either false or exaggerated. I completely understand people not getting along with other devotees or satsang leaders, for sure there are personality clashes. Real discussions and conversations are open to all sides and opinions, so don't be unreasonable to people who see things differently than you. Also, I am not some spokesperson for the org.

Re: Crimes of Mata Amma Amritanandamayi aka Ammachi
Date: November 27, 2013 08:37AM

[www.amazon.com]

Holy Hell Gail Treadwell

19 of 27 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't want your faith in Amma shaken, do not read this book., November 21, 2013
By Hipstorian - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness (Kindle Edition)
It is so difficult to read this book if you love Amma. Be aware of that, and be careful to avoid it if you do not want your faith deeply shaken. Even shredded. It sat in my book bag for several weeks before I could gather the strength to open its pages. What I found was a courageous memoir, a heart-rending tale, and an important caution for those who are so devoted to this Mahatma. The "revelations" show a human side to our beloved Mother that I do not judge. But one thing in particular troubles me greatly. That is Her failure to protect Gayatri from the rapes (multiple) of a co-aspirant... which absolutely enrages me. James Duffy's review puts so well: "the character assassination campaign underway against the author should set off alarm bells." PTSD and rape survivor syndrome may have made her behave the way she did, as told about in the PR-spun and clear efforts at damage control on the ammascandal wordpress site. I am deeply disappointed in the community around Mata Amritanandamayi for lacking the discrimination to see through the "she is crazy" party-line of the U.S. satsang coordinators. Deeply, profoundly disappointed. Y'all are supposed to be about love. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comments (12)

17 of 27 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Bold honest memoir, riveting story, November 20, 2013
By Stephen Hartley (Eugene, OR United States) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness (Kindle Edition)
This is a boldly honest memoir and riveting story about the journey of a guru-disciple relationship, from one of the very closest female disciples to Ammachi. While we would like to hear that the guru leads the disciple to eternal bliss, instead it turns into an abusive relationship. The memoir could be a textbook study on how such relationships can go bad, and on how divine and trusting faith can become blind faith. Westerners who read this book will want to "kick the tires" before readily accepting a teacher as their guru.

Having spent two decades with Ammachi, the author undoubtedly showed great courage in breaking from the webs of deception and embarking on a new life. As readers we should be grateful that she was able to accomplish her bold escape to the outside and tell her story. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment Comments (3)

44 of 57 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A brave act...pranams to Gail., November 18, 2013
By James Duffy "J. Duffy" (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME) This review is from: Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness (Paperback)
Read the book, read Amma's devotees' and Swami's responses....make up your own mind. Are the Amma defenders sharing evidence to contradict Gail's accusations?....or are they merely attacking her character?? Gail Tredwell's book, Holy Hell, gives all a glimpse into the minefield of the traditional Guru disciple path, both the sublime and the horrific aspects. I would like to have heard more about the sublime aspect, so the reader without direct experience of Amma and such Gurus would better understand why she would tolerate such abuse, but regardless, I think Gail has done a great service (!) in sharing her story. Especially since I'm sure she anticipates the massive tidal wave of wrath from devotees and Amma's org to be unleashed against her.

My opinion...
As someone who has spent significant time around Amma (amritapuri ashram resident, tours, etc etc) since 1990, the response to Gail Tredwell's book by Amma / her org / swamis has been profoundly disappointing and revealing in my opinion. Pure character assassination. Their self-delusion being so strong as to blindly enable them to promote immoral rationalizations and lies. I've seen Amma's violence first hand and it isn't pretty. One example, I saw Amma take a brahmacharin by the throat and slam him against a wall. I don't think that Amma is an utter fraud or 'the devil", but she isn't what's claimed by devotees either, that's for sure. Here, I should say, that I've also seen first hand Amma perform numerous, deeply moving acts of love and compassion. What seems to drive these debacles is the inability of devotees to accept their Guru's humanity. I feel I learned this lesson the hard way. The necessity that the Guru be "perfect", all knowing and all powerful...and thus inhuman...ensures that one day the pedestal will crumble. Then whatever greatness the Guru authentically possesses is thrown out with the bathwater by many, while the "true believers" continue to drink the koolaid. Neither option being an accurate portrayal. The traditional Indian "mythic" worldview of "spirituality", "enlightenment" and Gurus must stop if we, as humans, are to evolve beyond the unfailingly, ever-repeating enactment of "fallen Gurus".

The character assassination campaign by Amma *should* set off alarms for everyone, but it won't, except for a small handful of people. And please don't be so clueless to think Amma hasn't signed off on this campaign against Gail. The swami's, her attendant, etc do not do anything without Amma's approval.

Unfortunately, for most, Gail's book will be divisive, separating the believers from the non-believers...aka "Amma is perfect" vs "Amma is a charlatan preying on the weak minded, the devil", etc. There is a third alternative imo, that requires a far more nuanced perspective of what it means to be an evolving human being. It isn't black or white. It's messy, it's complex, it's paradoxical...in other words, it's human. For more, research Spiral Dynamics or Integral Theory etc. Equating "spiritually enlightened" / "divinity" / Self Realization with perfection must end. We're all a work in progress (evolution), and Amma is no exception. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment Comments (21)

22 of 35 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt and eye opening memoir, November 18, 2013
By monica - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a guru to "fix their life" or thinking that somehow they can justify being mistreated in any relationship. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment Comments (2)

22 of 38 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A Betrayal of Innocence, November 17, 2013
By Marit Hegge "MH" (Brisbane Australia) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME) Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
‘Holy Hell’ is above all a story of innocence and trust betrayed. I bought the book from this site within days of it being released and read it cover to cover almost in one sitting. Have read most of these reviews – the five star and the one star ones, and, like others, have come to the same conclusion that most of one star reviewers had not even read the book. Because if they had they would see that above all Tredwell’s story is one about her quest to find God. That throughout this book she never actually wavers in her belief in God and it is probably for that reason that she suffered such abuse for as long as she did.

She came to Sudhamani Idamannel (Amma) offering her everything. And I do not mean her worldly goods, of which she almost had none at the time. But she came to this guru, who at that point in time was little known outside her local region in Kerala, offering her youth, her innocence, her trust, her devotion, and above all her love of God. She came to Idamannel believing that by offering herself up to this guru that it would bring her even closer to God. From what I can see she was already leading a saintly existence herself at the Sri Ramana Maharshi ashram at Arunachala in the year she spent there before she came to Idamannel. Meditating daily and herself having already undergone some intense mystical experiences, not unlike those described in Idamannel’s biographies. She was also using her meagre financial resources to make meals and feed others, some of the poor near to the ashram and other ashram residents in need of support. So she also, for one so young, was demonstrating much compassion for her fellow beings. Had decided to become vegetarian for that reason. Who knows if she had not met Idamannel where her devotion would have led her. Possibly SHE herself would have started to attract a following. But one thing is for sure, she came offering SO much to this woman.

THAT is what makes this book so shocking. Of how Idamannel possibly never even saw the light in her when she first came to her. Did not even appreciate these special qualities in that young woman in the portrait at the beginning of the book, who is full of so much light and purity. But what she certainly did see was a trusting and gullible young woman, a strong and healthy young woman who wished to serve her and, above all, a white woman, that she could then have accompanying her everywhere to help promote her and bring her to fame.

(name omitted-Corboy) (Nealu) appears to have failed her abysmally after her arrival. A young woman barely 21 who accompanies him to Idamannel’s village , a man committed to a religious life but in his thirties. He then allows her to be used as Idamannel’s servant and the work horse for the community, toiling in the oppressive tropical heat in primitive village conditions preparing meals and doing the washing and other tasks, whilst he, protected by his wealth, his ill health and his gender, opts out of any real responsibility for what is going on, spending extended periods lying around in his hut because of this illness.

What those who have only given this book one star fail to realise, and who condemn Tredwell for her “betrayal” of her guru and her lack of faith is that if anyone did the betraying it was Idamannel. What was taken from this woman was her dream of living in a state of Grace, to be One with God. The vileness of what happened to her at the hands of Balu, Idamannel’s #1, Swami Amritasvarupananda. If such a thing had happened in a Catholic religious community it would become evidence in an enquiry into abuse within the Catholic Church!

Joel Kramer and Dianna Alstad, authors of ‘The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power’ , who endorsed this book, would have seen straight away what had happened to Tredwell. The second part of their book’s title – Masks of Authoritarian Power’, which is what I believe is happening in all guru/devotee relationships. The mind games and the tricks these usually very charismatic and invariably narcissistic people use in order to manipulate others and control them. In the case of Idamannel, someone I believe who is one of the most clever and unscrupulous of them, it is ALL about a mask. Preying, as Tredwell says in her final pages, after finally realising the true nature of this woman, on the needy, the desperate, the trusting and above all, the innocent. The much publicised humanitarian works, the hook which Idamannel uses in the West to pull in so many new devotees, and the donations, has now been shown to be nothing other than a hollow PR exercise. The evidence now being out there on the Indian government’s Home Office site that less than 10% of these donations actually are used for real humanitarian projects and that 63% is being held in foreign banks. Another reviewer having provided detailed information.

I believe that this book will become a classic in the genre of guru exposés, and a text that many will refer to in future years. It is very well-written and entertaining. And above all the sincerity of Tredwell shines through.
This is why I give it five stars! Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment Comment

Characteristic Patterns of Communicaton by Guru Defenders
Date: November 27, 2013 11:58PM

This article is from a website exposing abuses by the deceased guru Satya Sai Baba.

Persons who have exposed the back scenes behavior around Ammachi may note similarities

To get the live links at end of this article go to the webpage

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

Dissent From Guru Cults Draws Slander and Harassment

Posted by Barry Pittard on November 5, 2007

Discussions with activists from other movements of exposure of corrupt gurus are revealing. The various types of comparison between our separate experiences fall thick and fast. Those who speak out have typically and intensively undergone:

threats of injury or death

cyber and other forms of stalking

vilification, demonization, libels, character assassination

attacks on privacy and attempts at muckracking

attempts at intimidation by threats of various kinds, including those aimed at media who investigate the allegations
shunning or sometimes harassment by former fellow followers

mixed falsification and concealment by leaders to the rank-and-file of the testimony of those who have dissented

dereliction of the duty-of-care by organization leaders

gross distortions of words, intentions and actions of those who speak out
frequent branding of dissenters as ‘liars’ ("cynics" is another favorite--Corboy)

putting worst case interpretations on statements and situations, without considering alternative explanations

failure to understand, or at other times deliberate failure to acknowledge, why in many cases replies cannot be given to questions aimed at dissenters (e.g., security, individual or family sensitivities, knowledge that whatever is stated, attackers will use it for their own ends, sometimes devious, sometimes simply blinded)

ignoring the points being made, leaping on peripherals and ignoring essentials
making extremely improper inferences by extrapolation and decrying of dissenters as e.g., perverts, anti-Semitic, fascists, drunkards, Hindu hating, Christian fundamentalists, liars, hallucinators, addicted to drugs, etc
the lumping of all dissenters, as though they are perfectly co-ordinated or speak with one voice at all times (The Aristotelian ‘law of the undistributed middle’ – the confusion of the logical operators of ‘all’ and ‘some’ – is frequently violated)

(Corboy note: This lapse in formal logic is characteristic when persons regress or already function at childhood levels of thought which can happen to any of us when under severe stress and a result of thought reform methods used by exploitative gurus.)

complicity by organization leaders, of both high and lower rank, in standing back and allowing proxy defenders of a guru to attack dissenters, while secretly ensuring that legal or other information or funding is passed to the proxies, and turning a blind eye to devotees who stalk, harass, and defame those who speak out or, more often, covertly assist those who do.

All of this proceeds despite the knowledge that dissenters have spent long years of dedication, service and sacrifice in their former cause, and who are known in their professions, trades and communities at large as persons of integrity, sacrificial service in noble causes, kindness and decency.

The Sharing of Experiences With Those Abused By Other Leaders

In discussions with those involved in other abuse exposures (sometimes very usefully conducted via webcam via a service like Skype), discussants have often not had to end our sentences. This is because of the great similarity of experience of the crimes, dirty tricks, cover ups, and shocking vilification of those who raise their voices out of conscience and deepest concern. The recognition-of-situation factor is sky-high, and tragedy, betrayal and – that greatest of emotional allies and sublime social lubricant – humor are able to be deeply and spontaneously shared.

Further Resources (To read these as live links go to this web address)

A selection of closely-related articles on [barrypittard.wordpress.com] follows:

Some Key Cultic Responses To Critics

Probed On Male Sex Abuse, Sai Baba Evicts BBC TV Team

Cost Of Cover Ups Can Far Exceed Hoped-for Benefits

Exiting A Top International Cult. A Sai Baba Experience

The Case of UNESCO’s Missing Media Advisory

Sexual Abuse And Cover-up

Corrupt Indian Judges Stonewall Case Vs Sai Baba

If Not For Whistleblowers

Cultic Depersonalization or Demonization of Dissenters

Caught In One of History’s Most Powerful Cults (Parts 1-4)

Indian Gurus Stifle India’s Chance To Excel

Is Humanity One Big Cult?

Sai Baba. Some Dissenting Themes and Resources

Quoted from Rituals of Disenchantment by
Date: November 28, 2013 12:22AM

Gail/Gayatri Tredwell's book, Holy Hell is now available on Amazon

We can bet that followers of Amma, who has made untold millions of dollars, will scream objections at Treadwell for earning one penny for this book.

Note these points:

Amma pays no US income tax on her bloated income stream--all by claiming to be a spiritual project.

Treadwell, who is a mere citizeness, will have to pay income tax whatever she earns from her book.

Amma defenders will howl that Amma gives to charities, how dare we criticise her money.

But today in the US, with breakdown in the social safety net, private citizens, such as Tredwell, must take care of themselves by earning enough to pay rent, food, and health care.

Ammas food, shelter and health care are paid for many, many times over. After twenty years of serving this Queen Bee, Tredwell had no retirement pension.

Of course Amma's defenders will continue to hate Treadwell and call her a profiteer and traitor, but children in adult bodies are a lot like drunks. One cannot win an argument with them.

One can only keep a safe distance and take care of one's own welfare--especialy since Amma has reportedly failed in love to take care of so many who took care of her.

The recurring theme in all cults is unreciprocated loyalty.

".....As reported in Guruphiliac, the longtime personal assistant of the hugging saint (as Amritananda is affectionately known) fled her 20-year gig and her Guru's ashram under cover of darkness. After many years spent hiding and in silence, Gail Tredwell found her way to the exAmma Yahoo chat board, joined the site and "came out" to the community a year or so ago with an open letter that details 40 reasons why she left. She is currently writing a book about her experiences."

I've excerpted her letter below, which can be read in its entirety on the French website Le Blog Des Infidèles. The blog owner has also posted an interview with Gayatri, or Gail, there (in English). And any of you who may miss the "the Guru is an omniscient being who is beyond being judged by the standards of normal human behavior" line of bunk, there is a very long and belabored and nine-kinds-of-crazy example posted by an unhinged individual by the likely name of Ram Das in the comments section of the same blog.

Lastly, and because no yogic path scandal would be complete without a major magazine exposé! here is a link to the Rolling Stone article on Amma, which also covers Tredwell's defection.

-----------------------------------

To explain for those who don't know who I am/was. I was Amma's personal attendant for 20 years. I arrived in Jan. 1980 when she was Sudhamani living with her parents and left in Nov. 1999. I was nicknamed 'Amma's shadow' because I was constantly by her side and lived in her quarters. I can speak fluent Malayalam so language was never a barrier to understand what was going on. It would not be an exaggeration to say I know her better than anyone in the world.

"A few days after I escaped, when I was still in hiding, feeling hunted I sat at my laptop and wrote down the reasons why I chose to leave. I wrote them as a reminder in case I ever forgot. After writing it 12 years ago I read it again for the first time just now. I have not edited it...thought I should leave it in it's raw state. Hopefully, this will answer some of your questions.

Reasons why I left the Ashram

1. Loss of faith

2. Not happy for years

3. No harmony amongst seniors

4. No manners from the seniors

5. Too much politics between the seniors

6. No love between the seniors

7. I felt extremely unloved

8. And unsupported

9. And untrusted

10. Absolutely worn out on every level

11. Too much stress

12. Routine too gruelling

13. Never any concern given for physical well being nor emotions which are alsoa very important part of spirituality

14. Partiality shown between the men and women, east and west, rich and poor

15. Swamis arrogance, back stabbing, cruelty, hatred, power struggles.

16. Amma's obvious favouritism towards them

17. Giving too much money and gold to her family members and at the same time denied Suneeti private hospitalisation.

18. Too many secret things going on.

19. Too much scheming, plotting, planning and suspicion

20. No sweet spiritual feeling of love or compassion from amma behind the scenesonly anger, gossip, criticism, revenge, suspicion, business, violence or secretmeetings with the swamis.

21. Terrorism - in a subtle sense not with guns or anything.

22. Violence (mental, emotional, psychological and physical.

23. Horrible yelling and shrieking like a demon

24. Constant accusing me of being a good for nothing and always angry at mewhich always would make my guts cringe and constantly putting me down.

25. Not allowed to feel happy, if you do you should be guilty

26. Guilt if you rest, laugh, take care of your body

27. Money, money, money that is the main aim and you are good if you try and make as much as you can for the ashram even if you squeeze. Amma used to praise people for this

28. Lying, cheating

29. Copying from other writers and books then using amma's name on them andcalling it her teachings. Also none of the speeches which were made at U.N. or Chicago were her own, they were Swamijis from some books or possibly his head that I don't know.

30. Having to tell untrue miracles in talks, she herself would make them up for us.

31. Worn out from heat and crowds and the culture of India, also the jail like lifestyle in the Indian ashram

32. Suppressed and oppress and even hit and abused constantly by the swamis.

33. Too many institutions and projects but not enough capable people to runthem, therefore endless problems which would then fall on my head.

34. Never been understood, or acknowledges for any participation which I had inthe ashram. Never been considered in any major decisions to be made even if it was which girls should get yellow. Even that swamiji would try and decide,until I would put my foot down.

35. Not enough protection given to girls sent to branches. Just go! Whether theyhave a place to stay or not no problem, whether they are by themselves in a hugeschool overnight, no problem.

36. No questions allowed. Just shut your mouth or you will be considered for treason, betrayal and a cheat, you are unloyal to amma and the ashram.

37. Scandalous the way the flats have been built, so much money charged, nomaintenance even though the people pay the same. D block has been built rightin the face of A and B. The buildings were not even finished properly with cracks everywhere and sloppy cement everywhere. Plumbing stinks and leaks all over the steps. Try and maintain and keep clean the existing ones before starting more skyscrapers.

38. The residents i.e. Indian are not fed properly. They are also overworked.Even amma would criticize that some girls were drinking milk, she would tell tos ell all the fruit and not to give the residents. I would still give it now and then. They all look so anemic.

39. Amma's obvious revenge and hatred towards anybody who has left the ashram. Getting even with them, not allowing them to move on or get a job `let themsuffer for a while' her famous quote. Where is understanding and forgiveness,compassion that she teaches so strongly about. Okay, yes she doesn't want to encourage anybody to leave but is keeping them in the ashram by fear of the future or the consequences healthy.

40. Only Hinduism is any good, narrow minded attitude of the swamis against Christianity. Only your guru is any good.

"I understand that my list of reasons was vague....like I said it was written years ago when I was in a state of trauma. Without going into too much detail I will try to clarify some of your questions. Many of the topics have been covered in detail in my book and will give a clear and rounded understanding with specific details and examples.
Yours sincerely, Gail a.k.a. Gayatri

Reflections on Compassion
Date: November 28, 2013 12:33AM

From the Guruphiliac blog.

(quoted)

Oct 13 12 1:02 PM

Here's a little ditty I wrote after my guru chasing days; it especially applies to Ammachi.

"Compassion is a word used by a lot of groups, gurus and spiritual teachers, so I looked it up on wikipedia…I’d say that is a very self serving word and a con job.

..Is keeping people at a perpetually juvenile (or an even more age regressed state) stage of development, compassion? eg. as in ashrams…

Is giving your disciples impossibly complicated sadhanas that no one can do, and that have no genuine success rate, compassion? This also includes teaching sadhanas that require daily, weekly, or monthly supervision, fine tuning, etc. and not fulfilling that requirement; is that compassion?

Is justifying one’s messiah complex whilst building multimillion dollar spiritual empires, compassion?

Is compassion enabling dysfunction?

Is it teaching things that one does not really understand or practice, while claiming to be the answer; is that compassion?

Is taking the poor’s money and promising salvation; is that compassion?

Is never letting your client’s grow up on their own and graduate into functional autonomy; is that compassion?

Show Gail Tredwell Some Support-Buy Her Book Full Price
Date: November 29, 2013 11:17PM

Corboy's world weary perspective:

The more a group and guru yap about love, love, love, the more misery a dissenter can expect.

Now that Gail Tredwell's book has been published (with validation from other former devotees), Amma supporters are stepping forward demanding to know why Gail waited so long to reveal all this.

(Answer: it can take a long time to feel steady enough to face the onslaught of vengeance from members of a multimillion dollar entity that functions in many ways as a private fiefdom)

Gail Tredwell. Amma. Truth. Lies. Scandals. Fraud. And. Reality ...2 days ago ... You projected your own faults and defects and weaknesses upon Amma. In the
process, your mind has become filled with vengeance towards ...
ammascandal.wordpress.com/ - 160k - Cached - Similar pages

amma lies | Gail Tredwell. Amma. Truth. Lies. Scandals. Fraud. And ...2 days ago ... Posts about amma lies written by Sneha and Randall W. ... It's not out of
vengeance or hatred that I have shared these recollections—the truth ...
ammascandal.wordpress.com/tag/amma-lies-2/ - 142k - Cached - Similar pages

-------

I can tell readers that for consecutive years I went to a late springtime fair that brought together cultural and spiritual offerings from various Indian and Nepali traditions. The Ammachi ashram always had an information booth. And all those consecutive years, the behavior of many of the people at the Amma info table was the same. They'd gaze out steadily and hungrily, and if I ventured a foot too close in their direction, push literature or, just a little too pushily ask if I knew about or wanted to know about Amma.

I had little sense of happiness or peace from them; instead a sense of aggressive hunger, like starving people hoping to land fish for dinner.

Re: Crimes of Mata Amma Amritanandamayi aka Ammachi
Posted by: dabcult ()
Date: December 01, 2013 05:23AM

I got a few hugs over the years ...from Amachi and was touch by her beautiful signing voices ...
and the hidden stuff is now coming out ....and its the same reactions
as in the scandal of sai BaBa or Swami Nityananda ....or the jehova withness for this matter
One one side ...you have the unconditionals... for theses people MOTHER can do no wrong there is no amouth of proof that will change their mind they keeo thinking she is this goddess incarnations
and then there are the one who where just visitors like me that will not be surprises to learn that another india guru is a phoney ....even had sex with her swamis ....I like the words of the Buddha "Do not believe in any gurus or scriptures
not even in my words ....for you have to know it for yourself by yourself"
This international habit of giving ones allegiance blindly to this guru or that other guru ....is a very big mistake that as ruin the health ...the wealth of many and even was cause for many many murders BRAVO Gail for speaking out laud and clear

Holy Hell review Amazon com UK --Parents of Lost Daughter
Date: December 01, 2013 10:34AM

(Corboy Note: San Ramon is in Contra Costa County, California. The New Age and yoga magazines feature full color, full page ads for Amma's appearances at San Ramon. Remember folks--look up the current exchange rate for US dollars vs Indian Rupees. There's muuccch to love in that rate. The US dollar buys a lot of rupees.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic, brave and a really good read 25 Nov 2013
By Destroyed Family

We have just finished reading Gail's book and want to say how impressed we are with it. It is as beautifully written as it is compelling.

The events described are almost incredible and yet we felt ourselves believing every word. It is honest and brave. It certainly puts the Amma Organisation in a totally different light from that portrayed in the media, which seems to be completely in thrall to her PR machine.

This book was a very important read for us as our daughter has been deeply affected by the Amma cult and is all but lost to us as a consequence. Her story has many parallels with Gail's own story and it is a source of comfort to us to know that Gail's story has, at last, a happy ending.

Up until 5 years ago we were a very close family.

Then our daughter left for India looking, like Gail Tredwell, for a spiritual experience.

She went to Amma's ashram in Kerala and for the last 5 years has visited Amma whenever possible - in San Ramon , in Kerala and in London. She went through a "marriage ceremony"with an devotee she met in the ashram conducted by Amma. For this that she was made to pay 1008 euros in cash for a ceremony lasting just a few minutes.

Since then she has progressively given up on family, friends and her career. We thought all along that this was just a money obsessed cult and after reading this book we now know for sure that it is.

It is to be hoped that more people will be brave enough to come forward and tell their stories of this destructive group and that this book will be a turning point of Amma's image in the media.

We felt very much for Gail's parents in this as this is the position we are in. We don't know what to do or say to bring her back to us. If only we could get her to read this book!

We are very glad that Gail made it back to real life . This book is a tremendous achievement. It inspires us with hope that one day our daughter might realise that she is on the wrong path. We just hope it doesn't take her 20 years.

Gail's book is a great read for anyone - an absolute page turner- but a must for anyone thinking of getting involved with a guru.

Pages: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.