Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Questions about the Urantia Book
Posted by: arc ()
Date: November 08, 2013 09:11AM

I was hoping you all could help me find more information about the Urantia Book. I've gone to the likely sources on the internet (Google, Wikipedia) and poked about on their website. I've been curious more on the origin story of the book and I've tried to find Martin Gardner's Urantia: The Great Cult of Mystery at the library but after putting the book on hold, the record no longer appears.

Also, from what I gathered already, the following of the Urantia book is less formal than other Cult-like movements (or am I wrong?). Does anyone have first-hand knowledge about the readers of this text or have you been one?

Besides any historical information, I'm curious what other opinions are and any first-hand experience with it.

All-in-all, any information would be appreciated. Info seems quite limited.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Urantia Book -- Some Lawsuits
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 08, 2013 11:16PM

[www.google.com]
------------
Summons, Complaint, Answers, and Counterclaims (wrt Urantia ...Summons, Complaint, Answers, and Counterclaims wrt Urantia Foundation
lawsuits. ... COMES NOW Plaintiff Urantia Foundation (the "Foundation") and files
the ...
www.freeurantia.org/webdoc3b.htm - 104k - Cached - Similar pages

The following is an overview of Urantia Foundation's litigation historySince that time, there have been no lawsuits in the Urantia movement. The
Urantia Foundation has initiated legal actions against the following individual
readers ...
www.freeurantia.org/UF_litigation_history.htm - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

Martin Myers Affidavit (Urantia Foundation lawsuits)Martin Myers Affidavit (Urantia Foundation) IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK
COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT, CHANCERY DIVISION.
www.freeurantia.org/Myersaffidavit.htm - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

Definitions of Legal Terms wrt Urantia Foundation's lawsuitsApr 9, 1997 ... Definitions of Legal Terms with regard to Urantia Foundation's lawsuits.
www.freeurantia.org/webdoc2b.htm - 36k - Cached - Similar pages

Voluntary Disclosures (concerning Urantia Foundaton's lawsuitsVoluntary Disclosures concerning Urantia Foundation's lawsuits.
www.freeurantia.org/webdoc6b.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Religion Facts (wrt Urantia Foundaton lawsuits against believers)Apr 13, 1997 ... Kristen's Statement of Facts...in Opposition to Urantia Foundation...
www.freeurantia.org/Webdoc4.htm - Similar pages

The Free Urantia News #2 - The Urantia RevelationDec 2, 2000 ... And with their lawsuits against believers - the very fact of the lawsuits - the
trustees of Urantia Foundation have also chosen not to "represent ...
www.freeurantia.org/FUNews2.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

FOR DISTRIBUTION TO The Urantia Book READER COMMUNITY.May 8, 2003 ... After years of Urantia Foundation's lies, relentless and vicious lawsuits against
believers, default of Urantia Foundation's Declaration of Trust ...
www.freeurantia.org/Unity_rebuttal.htm - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

An Overview of the Maaherra Case - Urantia-book.orgBrief History of Foundation Lawsuits. In 1973, about "one generation" after the
Urantia Papers were printed, and about 40 years after the Papers were put into ...
urantia-book.org/archive/readers/doc088.htm - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia Foundation Report on Special MeetingUrantia Foundation Trustees Report on ... Dear Reader of The Urantia Book, ...
Lawsuits: No lawsuits will be entered against each other without prior meetings to
urantia-book.org/archive/history/doc215.htm - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

1930s concepts in Urantia Book?
Date: November 08, 2013 11:25PM

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

I’m just going to focus on one in particular because a colleague at work had mentioned it to me recently. I decided to do a little research to see what it was all about because I am so damn fed up of all those postmodern pseudo-spirituality movements.

It’s called the Urantia Book. It is said that the author is anonymous but we are told that it was actually communicated by some “celestial beings”, yeah like aliens. The book is managed by a group of people (or a single guy) who call themselves the Urantia Foundation, “revealing the mysteries of God, the Universe, Jesus and ourselves”. That sounds very cool actually why would anyone not be interested to know who God is finally? It must be legit too I mean its written on the book cover who cares!? So here’s how the story goes according to the Urantia Foundation: in 1911 a guy named William S. Sadler, a psychiatrist, received this weired visitor that blurted stories while he was in some trance from which he could not wake up. This mysterious man was actually believed to be serving as a communication channel, through which the said celestial beings were speaking to us. William Sadler decided to write everything and so the Urantia Book was born. No body ever saw or witnessed this except for William who supposedly talked about it to a group of people named the “Contact Commission”. This cannot be proven because according to the Urantia Foundation, none of them is still alive and their names cannot be revealed in case people want to adore them… yeahhhh…

I’m starting to smell bullshit here, so let’s get digging shall we? Let’s start with what we know: William S. Sadler was a very busy man, member of many associations and foundations, such as the Kellogg Foundation and the Seventh-Day Adventists. Also married to Lena Kellogg… wait there are too many Kellogg associations here. I don’t like this coincidence a bit. Whenever I hear the name Kellogg, it automatically rings an alarm in my head. I previously wrote a blog entry a few weeks ago (here) about the racist foundations of eugenics. But before we go forward let’s learn a bit about the Kelloggs. You see, the name is more than a cereal brand. In 1876 John Harvey Kellogg was a controversial medical doctor who administered the Adventist hospital in Battle Creek Michigan. He was a prominent member of the Seventh Day Adventists who settled in great numbers in Battle Creek more than a century ago. The Adventists, sincere and dedicated fundamentalists, observed the Sabbath on Saturday and believed in the Second Coming. They also believed that the White people were sent from God to populate the Earth, that “Niggers”, “Indians” and other none-Whites were to serve them. Many Advantist leaders supported the doctrine of Arianism. By providing his patients with plans to readjust their diet and lifestyle J.H Kellogg put many new items on the market under catchy names, such as the Corn Flakes. His name became for ever associated with a brand of cereals, although he regretted to be remembered this way. He was also the founder of the Race Betterment Foundation, which became a major center of the new eugenics movement in America. Kellogg was in favor of racial segregation and believed that immigrants and non-whites would damage the gene pool of pure White people. It also happens that the founder of the Urantia Book, William Sadler, was also a member of this foundation.

According to Martin Gardner, author of “The Great Cult Mystery”, Wilfred Custer Kellogg was the “channeller” Sadler talked about. Wilfred Custer Kellogg was actually the descendant and hereditary of his uncle’s legacy, J.H. Kellogg. In fact there was no channeling whatsoever. Just basic pen and paper editing done with his brother-in-law William Sadler...

(excerpt deleted)

...The scientific facts stated for example are outdated and based on knowledge known only at the time the book was written. Highly irrelevant if it were communicated from a well advanced race of aliens. The described formation of the solar system is consistent with the Chamberlin-Moulton planetesimal hypothesis discarded in the 1940’s. Some species are said to have evolved suddenly from single mutations without transitional species, but the idea has not been supported since 1930. Controversial statements in the book support the idea of distinctive “spheres” in society based on physical differences such as color. According to Gardner, William S. Sadler and Wilfred Custer Kellogg who wrote some eugenicist works, had a hand in editing or writing the book, and that this is how the ideas were included. Another fact is that the book is said to have been published in 1955, giving more time for the editors to edit old scientific facts to satisfy the needs. Furthermore, in recent years the book had shown that it was edited again from its earlier versions, to include more accurate scientific facts, so they make it look like the whole thing was prophesied in 1911.

It’s easy to fall for any philosophy that preaches peace, love, acceptance and equality for all. Who in their right mind wouldn’t want such a thing for all of us? No cult is going to win you over by stating that they worship murder and rape, well maybe satanism. So obviously we all want the same answers about life, where we come from, where are we going. We need to feel special, accepted and loved. We want peace for everyone and reigning harmony for the planet. These are all simple core values preached from all major religions since the dawn of scriptures. The problem lies in the interpretations humans make of each and single word, instead of just retaining the essential message that can be resumed on one page. I don’t care to know about the birth of life and if there are extraterrestrials. Sure it’s nice to know these facts but aren’t essential for me. What’s essential is how I live my life in the NOW and how I make the best of it...

References:

- Gardner, Martin (1995). Urantia: The Great Cult Mystery. Prometheus Books. ISBN 0-87975-955-0

-

[www.google.com]

“How The Urantia Book Came Into Existence” by William S. Sadler, Jr., February 18, 1962.

-

[beforeitsnews.com]

Affidavit of Dr. Meredith Sprunger on October 24, 1998 regarding the origin of The Urantia Book

- Mather, George A. and Nichols, Larry A. (1993). Dictionary of Cults, Sects, Religions and the Occult. Zondervan Publishing House. ISBN 0310531004

- House, Dr. H. Wayne (2000). Charts of Cults, Sects, and Religious Movements. Zondervan.

[beforeitsnews.com]

“Some Human Sources of The Urantia Book” by Matthew Block, originally published in 1992. Describes suspected parallels Block found between The Urantia Book and possible human sources of material.

- Stevie Ray Vaughan : Caught in the Crossfire-Hugo de Vries on heredity, 1889-1903. Statistics, Mendelian laws, pangenes, mutations., Isis. 1999 Jun;90(2):238-67 [beforeitsnews.com]

Urantia Book and Eugenics
Date: November 08, 2013 11:30PM

Urantia Book and Eugenics

[www.google.com]

Racist and Eugenics writings found in the Urantia Book ...Let's connect the dots,shall we: “unrestrained multiplication of inferiors, with
decreasing reproduction of superiors, is unfailingly suicidal of ...
www.datehookup.com/Thread-921368.htm - 156k - Cached - Similar pages

nthposition online magazine: The bible of eugenicsThe bible of eugenics. by Donna Kossy. [ strangeness - april 02 ]. The Urantia
Book (UB) is a channeled bible of colossal proportions, describing the entire ...
www.nthposition.com/bibleofeugenics.php - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia book and Eugenics Nazism - YouTube
Urantia book and Eugenics Nazism Eugenics in the Urantia book.
10 min -
[www.youtube.com]

Outisde Reading: Eugenics - Progressive Civilization - Urantia Book ...Page 1 of 4 - Outisde Reading: Eugenics - posted in Progressive Civilization: In
an effort to keep my mind open about some of the potentially ...
urantia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/1033-outisde...eugenics/ - 174k - Cached - Similar pages

Eugenics_1_Purpose - UBtheNEWSThe primary purpose of this paper is to provide a comprehensive review of
statements in The Urantia Book related to eugenics and race and, in particular, ...
www.ubthenews.com/Eugenics_1_Purpose.htm - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Eugenics, Race, & The Urantia Book - UBtheNEWSJan 1, 2011 ... Eugenics, Race, and The Urantia Book. Please contribute whatever you can to
support this effort. Every bit helps. Thanks. You can purchase a ...
www.ubthenews.com/Eugenics_Race_Urantia_Book.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Eugenics, Race, and The Urantia Book - UBtheNEWSJan 1, 2011 ... Urantia Book related to eugenics and race and, in particular, to focus on ...
involve sections from The Urantia Book that address eugenics and.
www.ubthenews.com/documents/Eug0FinalDraft.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

The Urantia Book and Eugenics, discussion with Chris Halvorson 05 ...May 16, 2009 ... The controversial issues series continues. The word "eugenics," appears only
once in The Urantia Book, but the concept appears sporadically ...
www.blogtalkradio.com/.../the-urantia-book-and-eugenics-discussion-with- chris-halvorson - 145k - Cached - Similar pages

Davy Jones' Locker: Urantia still promoting EugenicsNov 12, 2009 ... So..., what's your beef with The Urantia Book on eugenics, can you say? Can you
be specific? Or do you think that everyone has the God given ...
davyjoneseslocker.blogspot.com/.../urantia-still-promoting-eugenics.html - 85k - Cached - Similar pages

Amazon.com: Eugenics, Race, and The Urantia Book eBook ...Eugenics, Race, and The Urantia Book - Kindle edition by Halbert Katzen,
Andrew Myers, Claire Miller. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device,
PC, ...
www.amazon.com/Eugenics-Race-The-Urantia.../B007MAFTPM - 279k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia Kellogg Eugenics in search slot
Date: November 08, 2013 11:37PM

Eugenics Urantia Kellogg in Google Search Slot

[www.google.com]

nthposition online magazine: The bible of eugenicsSadler, a famous psychiatrist, was the front-man responsible for the Urantia
Foundation and for UB's publication, while Kellogg, a shy, unassuming
businessman ...
www.nthposition.com/bibleofeugenics.php - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

DISCLOSE THIS! - Viewzone"Your world, Urantia, is one of many similar inhabited planets which comprise the
local universe of Nebadon. ... Prohibition, Kellogg Cornflakes & Eugenics.
www.viewzone.com/event99.html - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

John Harvey Kellogg MD - Urantia Book HistoryOne very important influence he had within the history of the Urantia Book
Movement was ... John Harvey Kellogg's eugenics beliefs varied considerably
from his ...
www.ubhistory.org/StoriesandPeople/JHKellogg.html - 71k - Cached - Similar pages

Racist and Eugenics writings found in the Urantia Book ...more racist and eugenics writings from the urantia book .... Whenever I hear the
name Kellogg, it automatically rings an alarm in my head.
www.datehookup.com/Thread-921368.htm - 156k - Cached - Similar pages

The Urantia Book Spiritual Scam | Religious figures (modern)Jul 2, 2010 ... Also married to Lena Kellogg… wait there are too many Kellogg .... Sangers
version of Eugenics when they are talking about the Urantia Book.
beforeitsnews.com/.../the-urantia-book-spiritual-scam-91376.html - 73k - Cached - Similar pages

William S. Sadler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThere he met the physician and health-food promoter John Harvey Kellogg, co-
inventor ... The man's words were eventually published in The Urantia Book, and
the Urantia .... Sadler wrote several works about eugenics, endorsing and heavily
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Sadler - 143k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia: The Great Cult MysteryLike Sadler, Dr. Kellogg was an ardent supporter of eugenics. In 1906 he
founded an organization that later took the name Race Betterment Foundation.
books.google.com/books?isbn=1615922458

Urantia: The Great Cult Mystery - Christian Research InstituteJun 10, 2009 ... The unnamed contactee was Wilfred (a nephew of W. K. Kellogg, the ... Sadler's
own theories about eugenics and racial inferiority seem to ...
www.equip.org/articles/urantia-the-great-cult-mystery/ - 52k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia and Kellogg.... - LunaticOutPostHe was also the founder of the Race Betterment Foundation, which became a
major center of the new eugenics movement in America. Kellogg ...
lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-Urantia-and-Kellogg?page=2 - 107k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia Book Forum : Discussion Board : Study Group • View topic ...Also, Kellogg convened the first eugenics conference in America. ... "Incurably
insane"- in the context of urantia they only referr to insane ...
forums.truthbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3770&start=30 - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

Eugenics and Kellogg in Google Search Slot
[www.google.com]

American Eugenics Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe American Eugenics Society (AES) was a society established in 1922 to ...
Kellogg was outspoken on his beliefs on race and segregation, in spite of the fact
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Eugenics_Society - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

John Harvey Kellogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia1915 "Health and Efficiency" Macmillan M. V. O'Shea and J. H. Kellogg (The
Health Series of Physiology and Hygiene; 1915 The Eugenics Registry Official ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg - 121k - Cached - Similar pages

Michigan EugenicsDr. John Harvey Kellogg, American entrepreneur and inventor of “Corn Flakes”,
was an avid supporter of eugenics. In 1911 he founded the “Race Betterment ...
www.uvm.edu/~lkaelber/eugenics/MI/MI.html - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

American Breeders Association - Social Origins of EugenicsFinancial support for the popularization of eugenics came both from individuals
and foundations in America. In 1906, John Harvey Kellogg created the Race ...
www.eugenicsarchive.org/html/eugenics/essay6text.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Eugenics article (connection to Kellogg) - Mothering.comMay 14, 2012 ... [www.latimes.com]-
day-20120513,0,4681748.story Did anyone catch this op-ed ...
www.mothering.com/.../t/.../eugenics-article-connection-to-kellogg - 149k - Cached - Similar pages

Kellogg's, Eugenics and Race Betterment - World Fiction ShowNov 26, 2009 ... Something To Chew On: Kellogg's, Eugenics and Race Betterment. “As a child I
had a dream, a marvelous dream, in which I saw a wild place ...
deeliberate.wordpress.com/.../something-to-chew-on-kelloggs-eugenics-and- race-betterment/ - 80k - Cached - Similar pages

John Harvey Kellogg - NNDBFresh out of medical school, Dr John Harvey Kellogg became chief physician at
the ... He also sponsored "Race Betterment Conferences" in support of eugenics
www.nndb.com/people/018/000133616/ - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Eugenics and the Race Betterment MovementEugenics poster ... Eugenics is the belief that the human race would be improved
by enhancing the inherited ... Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, cereal magnate and ...
xroads.virginia.edu/~ma03/holmgren/ppie/eug.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Disturbing Facts About Eugenics - NeatoramaSep 2, 2008 ... Logo from the Second International Eugenics Conference in ... Dr. John Harvey
Kellogg of Battle Creek, Michigan served as a member of the ...
www.neatorama.com/.../disturbing-facts-about-eugenics/ - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

The Atlantic | July 1913 | Eugenics And Militarism | Fielding-HallVernon Kellogg explores the dysgenic effects of militarism.
www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/13jul/kellogg.htm - 38k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia and Kellogg

[www.google.com]

Urantia Book - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.comOct 6, 2013 ... According to The Urantia Book Fellowship (UBF), The Urantia Book (UB) is ...
These are the same Kellogg brothers who were featured and ...
www.skepdic.com/urantia.html - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

John Harvey Kellogg MD - Urantia Book History... Harvey Kellogg, MD. Chronological timeline of highlights in the life of John
Harvey Kellogg MD as an influence on the history of the Urantia Book Movement.
www.ubhistory.org/StoriesandPeople/JHKellogg.html - 71k - Cached - Similar pages

16_WILFRED - World-destiny.orgWILFRED CUSTER KELLOGG. A strange myth floated through the community of
those who accepted The Urantia Papers. Many believed the Papers were ...
www.world-destiny.org/16_wilfred.html - 59k - Cached - Similar pages

DISCLOSE THIS! - Viewzone"Your world, Urantia, is one of many similar inhabited planets which comprise ...
The most popular clinics of this type were run by the Post and Kellogg families in
www.viewzone.com/event99.html - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

Wilfred Kellogg, the sleeping subject? - Urantia Book Forum ...Usually, when Wilfred Kellogg is mentioned as the sleeping subject, Urantians
reject it out of hand. My question is, so what if Kellogg was the ...
urantia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/1413...kellogg-the... - 117k - Cached - Similar pages

The Urantia Book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaCover of 2008 edition of The Urantia Book, published by the Urantia Foundation
.... Gardner's conclusion is that a man named Wilfred Kellogg was the sleeping ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Urantia_Book - 202k - Cached - Similar pages

William S. Sadler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThere he met the physician and health-food promoter John Harvey Kellogg, ...
The man's words were eventually published in The Urantia Book, and the Urantia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Sadler - 143k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia review by Dave Langford - Langford Home PageMartin Gardner, Urantia: The Great Cult Mystery ... by Sadler's brother-in-law
Wilfred Custer Kellogg -- a relative of the Dr John Kellogg of bowel-obsession
fame, ...
www.ansible.co.uk/writing/urantia.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Urantia: The Great Cult Mystery - Christian Research InstituteJun 10, 2009 ... The unnamed contactee was Wilfred (a nephew of W. K. Kellogg, the cornflake
king), an identification Gardner first made in 1991. In Urantia: ...
www.equip.org/articles/urantia-the-great-cult-mystery/ - 52k - Cached - Similar pages

How The Urantia Book Came Into Existence... of a tape recorded talk by Bill Sadler about the origin of The Urantia Book. ... If
you write to Donnelley, they'll tell you they negotiated with Mr. Wilfred Kellogg.
ubfellowship.org/archive/history/wssjr1.htm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Re: Questions about the Urantia Book
Posted by: Sandman ()
Date: November 08, 2013 11:42PM

Urantia: The Great Cult Mystery by Martin Gardner can be ordered from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591026229/roberttoddcarrol

I'd recommend it, it's a good read.

This article is also worth a look: The Bible of Eugenics -- http://nthposition.com/bibleofeugenics.php

Posted by: arc ()
Date: November 09, 2013 04:39AM

Thank you both for the information. I'm parsing through all of it right now and if I can't get the library to order a new copy, I will get one of the used copies of Martin Gardner's book.

I see from the info above that the foundation can be litigious, especially with the use of their name/trademark. Do you know of any instances where the practice or belief of the ideas expressed in the book have led to harmful situations (I'm most notably thinking of Scientology because they are so big these days).

Thanks again for all of the info. Always appreciated.

Interlibrary loan and World Catalogue
Date: November 09, 2013 05:06AM

Dear arc, if the book is not available at your library, the librarian may be able to get you a loaner copy via interlibrary loan or the World Catalog.

Bookfinder.com is great resource--one can comparison price books.

(Full disclosure: I dont work for them and am not friends with anyone who does)

Warning: If you are a book lover bookfinder is like a bottomless container of ice cream.

Nice thing is, you can assemble a home library.

Posted by: Warren ()
Date: November 11, 2013 10:23PM

Hello,

Let me first say that the vitriol here is impressive.

I'm an over-40-year reader of the Urantia Book, or UB, and although I originally started reading it to find flaws, over time it has become clear to me that there is something more-than-human in its authorship.

So, I'll be speaking with a rather in-depth knowledge of the UB's content, rather than just reading from hatchet jobs on the UB, as Gardner's book is. Gardner would fit well with previous "informative" posts in this thread, as he starts from the assumption that there is no God, so that anything which references God must be false. As I see it, that's a bizarre approach for someone who espouses science.

To start out, and avoid as much work giving you detail in which you are not interested, let me just include an article I wrote some time back about my experience of meeting up with the UB. Please feel free to ask questions not addressed by this article. Enjoy!

The following is slightly adapted from a board posting I made in 1996.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you start, you have to understand that all of

the "communications" I had were of what I think of as a direct link

between minds, and do NOT translate well into words. I'm "translating."

It started out with strictly physical motivations. I had been

hounded by a new convert to the Campus Crusade for Christ. I was a

very vocal, and very effective, debater for atheism. I became the

"personal project" of a new CCC recruit, who followed me around with

an intensity which would easily qualify under Michigan's new stalking

laws, had they been in place then. I think it was as much a gathering

of intelligence about my movements that was a motivator as the hope

that I might be converted. That could be nothing but paranoia talking.

It's easy to drift into paranoia while being stalked.

After many weeks of having this guy at most of my classes, and

all of my meals, I was showing the strain. Well, at least I was FEELING

the strain. Finally, verging on desperation, I talked with him about a

"deal" we could make. I asked him if he believed the Bible was written

by God using men as we would use pencils, and he said "yes." I asked

him if he had faith in the inerrancy of the Bible, and he again answered

affirmatively. I then told him that, if he would leave me alone for a

week, I would produce a list of pairs of Bible quotes which appeared to

be contradictory. I would then give him a week to look them up, and to

study them. If, after his week, he could show me how my interpretation

was faulty, I would do what he wanted, which was to go to the CCC meetings

for a month. If, on the other hand, he became convinced that my quotes

were indeed contradictory, he would do what I wanted, which was to leave

me alone. He was suspicious, but I manipulated him by telling him he was

placing faith in the Bible alone, not in his actions or perfection of

understanding. He agreed.

So, gleefully, I began my task. I had read the entire Bible,

and had some idea of its structure. The easy way is to get relevant

quotes from the early Old Testament, and compare them against quotes

from Jesus in the New Testament. One of my good friends came by, and

was startled to see me reading the Bible and taking notes. I explained

the situation to him. He was amused. He was also a Psychology major,

and Theology minor. He asked if I was having any luck. I told him

that I was indeed, and that I was enjoying myself immensely. He said

that, when I got done with that, he had another book for me to rip

apart in the same way. You only get one guess as to what that book was.

I finished my task, and handed it to him at the appointed time.

I never saw him, or heard from him again. I may well have ruined his

faith, based as it was upon a book. In any case, as the weeks crawled

by, with me halfway expecting to see him around every corner, I came to

realize that I had probably succeeded in regaining my life. Gradually,

a glow of accomplishment built up. After some weeks, I began to think

about "that other book" in a yearning fashion. I was feeling omnipotent

at detecting errors and inconsistencies. Finally, I asked Del if he had

a copy of that book, and he quietly gave me a copy of the Urantia Book.

I began to read, looking primarily for massive inconsistencies.

I found none. It appeared to be internally consistent. A couple time

I thought I found something which turned out, upon closer examination,

to be due to me missing a "not" or some such. A tough nut... I was

forced to actually READ the thing, with an eye towards a thorough

understanding, rather than just a skim for major ideas. This proved to

be very destructive to my atheistic faith. It was written with such

power, such complex mentation behind it, such sterling grammar! It

seemed to me to be beyond the scope of what was possible in a hoax. So,

with my atheism crushed, a simpering agnostic, <Grin> I offered up a

truly sincere prayer, to any creative Deity who might be in attendance,

to offer me some indication if this book I was reading had any shred of

validity. This was at lunch time.

Strangely enough, within about ten minutes of reading, after

waiting a while for a "sign" to appear, I came across a passage which

described an ancient meeting between people, at least one of whom had

arrived on the scene on a Fandor, described as a large TRUE bird.

I KNEW, at that point, that the albatross was the true bird

with the largest wingspread ever, at about fourteen feet. There is

simply NO WAY that an albatross, let alone a smaller bird, could EVER

lift a three-and-a-half foot tall monkey-like person into the air.

It simply could not happen. I calculated that the bird would have to

have a fifty-foot wingspread, MINIMUM, to accomplish the task. I knew

that nothing like that had ever been found. Ergo, the UB was BS. I was

jubilant. While internally consistent, the UB had been proven to be a

load of fertilizer.

I now had a problem... I still liked to think of myself as an

atheist, even though I was in the middle of a crisis of faith. On the

other hand, it appeared that either God had answered a prayer of mine,

or I had just had an INCREDIBLE coincidence. It was disturbing. I

resolved to think about it.

That evening, on the CBS Evening News, Walter Cronkite told me,

with his own face, that contractors digging a foundation for a bank

building in San Diego had uncovered the skeleton of a true bird with a

wingspread of over fifty feet, and that archeologists from all over were

converging on the site. Immediately, the hair on the back of my neck

stood on end, and the bottom dropped out on my stomach. Hoo, boy. The

idea that THIS was a coincidence was just too far-fetched to believe.

So, for the second time in the same day, I was making a sincere

prayer to God. I just stated how I was feeling, as the UB had led me

to believe was the proper way. I pointed out how hard-headed I was,

and how tied I was to evidence, logic, and proof. I said that I

WANTED to believe, but that I seriously doubted that I could, unless I

could have some actual contact with the spiritual world.

Immediately upon finishing that prayer, I felt pulled within

myself. I was sitting in the lotus position on my bed. I could not

tell if I had been withdrawn inside my body, made incredibly small,

or if my body, now a shell, had expanded to galactic proportions,

leaving me tiny (by comparison) in the center of the space it

enclosed. I was alone in a vast space, not afraid, but nervous.

While I sat there, transfixed, I could "hear" a sound which seemed to

be coming from the back of my head... It started out as inaudible,

and gradually increased in frequency up to about 1kHz. (I'm a

calibration technician. <Grin>) It started below 20 Hz, and worked

up the scale slowly. The IMPRESSION I got was that it was my alpha

rate. I don't know WHY I got that impression, but it fits with what

happened, in a weird way. The knowledge that it was my "basic

frequency" simply appeared in my mind.

Suddenly I was (****) (Fill in with something somewhat like

lassoed, picked up, embraced, rescued....) by a bodiless male person.

This person was very benign, and his dominant emotion, as he "reached

down a hand" to "pull me up" was one of incredulous amusement. I was

cracking him up. I got the impression that I was somewhere not in

the physical realm, and he was seeing me much as a high school student

would see a chimpanzee who happened to wander into the classroom, and

take a seat. I got a vague impression of being asked if I wanted to

communicate more personally. I REALLY wanted to.

Again, suddenly, I found myself "wired" to this person. He was

able to send HUGE seas of information to me in almost no time. I was

confused, and "asked" if he was getting the same from me. He was, he

said with the equivalent of a chuckle. It was immediately apparent

that it was impossible to lie in this medium, and that even hiding

information was not possible.

I "asked" if he was God, and he practically went into hysterics.

He was not, he said, but he was on the same team. I got the impression

of a human laughing so hard they were crying. One of the things I got

from him was that I was NOT supposed to be there normally, not for a

VERY long time, but that I couldn't ever GET there if it was really

against the rules. He asked me what I wanted to know, since I was there,

and I just felt a huge desire to know where everything was going, and

how it all fit together. Immediately, I felt suspended in space, looking

down at the galaxy. I could see the whole thing, and see the invisible

lines tying the whole thing together, as well. I found I could focus in

on particular parts, and zoom in on things, even down to the point where

I could see individuals. I "knew" that this was real-time. At every

level, I could see the interactions of beings and forces, and knew not

only that they worked, and what they were doing, but knew, at a very

deep level, that they were RIGHT, that they were as they should be. It

was incredibly comforting. Additionally, I was able to grasp the

wholly incredible amount of information, process, and understand it all

as it came in. It occurred to me that people just CAN'T see the very

rightness of things because they see so little of the picture. I was aware

that I was forming conclusions at lightning speed, and testing them out

by searching for more data... I was processing a massive stream of data,

and everything was checking out. I was amazed at what my mind could do.

After a time, to which I cannot really place a measure, I noticed

that I was losing the sharpness. I was not integrating all the new data

at all well, and much of it was rolling off me without my being able to

grasp it, and file it away, as had been happening. I panicked, and

"turned to" my friend, who informed me that I had to stop what I was

doing, as it would burn out my mind. I could not do what I had been

doing for long. I consoled myself with the thought that at least I had

more information added to my memories than a hundred times the store I

had before this experience. He let me know that I could not hold that

much information in my normal mind, and as I got this information, I

could sense things slipping away. In desperation, I tried to put what

I had learned into ideational coding, like parables, so that I'd have

at LEAST a flavor of it. The "slide" back to "normal" increased, and

I could FEEL the memories of the experience losing their intensity,

their fine edge, and becoming fuzzy. While I was trying desperately to

nail down some of these memories, I lost contact with my new friend.

I startled, and gasped, on the bed where I sat. I looked at the

clock. It appeared that no time had passed, or a very few minutes at

most. I was so befuddled, had had so many things going through my mind

that I went out and asked Del what day it was. It was the same day. I

felt an incredible sadness that the contact was over. My mind also felt

somehow "bruised," as if I had overworked a muscle. I was mentally a

bit slow for about a week. That's it...

What I retain as CERTAIN knowledge is that there is a vast

group of inhabited worlds out there, tied together much as communities

are tied together here by the Internet. The "big guys" are very loving,

and competent. Things work VERY well, close to perfectly, whatever the

appearances are here. We have a GREAT deal of incredible experiences to

anticipate joyously, and we are SUPPOSED to get there by doing what we

can do where we are. This much I KNOW. After that, there's a lot of

fuzzy stuff, but the above I was able to nail down while I had it. I

sometimes wonder if I actually hurt myself spiritually by having that

experience. I mean, how impressive is having faith, once you've been

there and SEEN how it is set up? I feel that was the experience I had.

I don't know to whom or what to attribute the experience I had.

I do know that the UB is the closest to the experience in the FEEL of

it, albeit ANYTHING one could write, falls incredibly short of doing it

justice. I am well aware that what I write about it falls into the

same category. It is the same kind of thing as trying to describe the

Grand Canyon to someone who's not been there. "Yeah, it's a REALLY big

hole. You said that. I believe you. So?" Then they GET there...

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 11, 2013 10:56PM

Warren:

Please understand that this thread is not about preaching your beliefs.

This is not a message board to debate religion, theology or philosophy.

This board is about complaints about the behavior of certain groups and leaders and the undue influence certain groups or leaders may exercise over their followers.

If you want to share about your personal beliefs this is not the appropriate place to do that and it is against the rules of this message board, i.e. no preaching.

It also against the rules of this message board to personally attack any member posting here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 10:56PM by rrmoderator.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.