Another Take on Sterling
Posted by: DCS ()
Date: April 09, 2009 12:41PM

I did my Men's Weekend in July of 2006 at the urging of an old friend. My marriage was in trouble and he felt strongly that the Weekend could help me. Despite my trepidations and some horror stories on this website I went forward and did the Weekend.

Did it solve all of my problems? Of course not. But 3 years on my marriage is definitely in a better place, as is my career. My relationship to my children is wonderful and nourished by my participation in the Men's Team. My relationship with my father, and men in general, for that matter, has also benefited.

Is Justin Sterling a saint? Hardly. Does he have great teachings to offer? Definitely. Does he make money off the Weekends? Of course, it's his job.

I suppose that this will be seen as a posting with an agenda...and I suppose it is. I have seen so much negativity toward Sterling on this site and more than one man that has decided against the doing the Weekend as a result and I'd like to see the other side of the issue represented.

Also, my wife did her Women's Weekend a few months after I did the Men's Weekend. She appreciated parts of it but ultimately did not get involved with the women like I did with the men. That's okay, our marriage is still good and I understand her better everyday.

I welcome any questions, comments, points of debate, etc. I understand this to be a discussion forum, so let's discuss!

Be well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Take on Sterling
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: April 09, 2009 08:12PM

To whom it may concern:

If you are not familiar with Sterling Institute of Relationship see [www.culteducation.com]

Sterling is a for-profit privately owned company run by Justin Sterling, previously known as Arthur ''Artie'' Kasarjian. He is not a licensed counselor nor a marriage and family therapist and his weekend seminar is what many commonly call an LGAT (large group awareness training).

Sterling has a troubled history of complaints, bad press and allegations of personal injuries.

To better understand what is wrong with LGATs or "mass marathon training" see [www.culteducation.com]

For a more in-depth look at the coercive persuasion techniques often used by LGATs see [www.culteducation.com]

Groups like Sterling often require that a participant sign a release form before doing a weekend seminar, which specifically releases the group from any legal responsibilities concerning their program, which may result in an injury.

Licensed professional counselors, such as marriage and family therapists, don't expect clients to sign such releases and unlike Sterling can be held accountable through licensing boards.

Likewise, support groups and marriage programs run through community social services, churches and licensed professional counseling centers can also be held accountable.

There are safer more reputable ways to resolve a troubled marriage or relationship than attending Sterling.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.