Re: The downside of yoga and meditation
Posted by: tia007 ()
Date: March 10, 2015 03:49AM

Thank you! It's good to see that you have considered both sides on the subject.

Some discussions of meditation hazards
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 10, 2015 05:16AM

Some discussions on problems reported among persons doing strenuous
meditation.

[www.buddhistgeeks.com]

[www.abhidhamma.org]

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 05:17AM by corboy.

Date: March 10, 2015 11:26AM

From reading your links, I can see how very important it is to find the correct kind of meditation that is safe. Some meditation practices can be quite extreme.

How do you feel about meditation, if it is done to connect up with God, the universe, mother nature? If it's not used, to blank out the mind, or done in the extreme, like I have been reading about on this site.

I personally don't see how it would be considered dangerous if someone had a practice of meditation that they used as a personal religious experience?

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 11, 2015 02:21AM

My feelings about meditation are irrelevant to the discussion
on this thread.

This topic was started assemble information that would serve the needs of persons who have had difficulty or experienced adverse reactions to
various meditation methods and who want to find out if other
persons have reported similar having similar problems.

By contrast, there is no shortage of venues online for persons who have had
happy and fulfilling experiences as meditators.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 02:29AM by corboy.

Date: March 11, 2015 06:29AM

I see, so it's more of a neighborhood watch to report suspicious behavior?
I thought this was a form to discuss spiritual topics. What if I started my own thread and brought up a subject of interest would that be ok? You know so I wasn't steering someones discussion off topic.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 11, 2015 10:20PM

tia007:

Yes you can do that.

See [forum.culteducation.com]

Choose a category that is listed, which is appropriate for the topic you wish to discuss.

Date: March 12, 2015 11:39AM

You said I could start a topic to discuss...

Isn't spirituality what your board is about?
I'm really confused why you cut it off. Don't cults, religion and new spiritual groups all fall under that category? Is it just because I was looking for an open discussion that you didn't like it? I wasn't trying to make it non-negative if that was your concern. I just really like hearing different sides on a discussion and thought it could turn into a really interesting debate. I like that element. Who wants to go to a discussion board where everyone has the same point of view or agrees with you. I find it stimulating to hear another perspective.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 12, 2015 10:11PM

tia007:

No. Spirituality is not what this board is all about.

And offering your personal opinions about spirituality or religion is against the rules.

See [forum.culteducation.com]

"The purpose of this message board is not to promote a specific religious and/or political viewpoint."

Read the topics listed.

This is the Cult Education Institute Open Forum message board, where people post about destructive cults and the problems and potential dangers posed by some controversial groups and movements.

If you want to discuss your views on spirituality find a message board where that topic is the focus of interest.

Posted by: yasmin ()
Date: March 12, 2015 10:35PM

Hi Tia007,

I think you are a bit confused about this board. The people here have mostly come because they or someone they know has been hurt through misuse of religious beliefs.

It might help if you think of it as an information or support board for those who may have been hurt by religious abuse.

If you have a religion or sense of spirituality that you love, that's great. But here is not the place to preach about it, or even discuss it.

The last thing most people here need is for someone else to tell them which religion or belief system they really "should" follow. As RRmoderator points out , there are lots of other places to go to for that.

Kind of like the fact that lots of people like alcohol, and want to discuss the merits of different types of Wines.
But going to a support board for Mothers of Children killed by drunk drivers and discussing the joys of alcohol is not a good fit.

Its a mistake some people make, not understanding why this board is here. If you are trying to support a particular group and feel the facts about it are wrong, you can always state the facts as you see them. Of course if others have been hurt by your group, they may also point out other facts to you.

There are few places though that people who are hurt by religion can go for support. This is one of them, and as such is very valuable ( imo)

Hope things go well for you, and wish you happiness wherever life takes you

Yasmin

Date: March 13, 2015 12:57AM

Hi Yasmin,

Thanks for your explanation. I by no means meant to promote anything and don't have a particular group that I'm following. I have definitely misunderstood the purpose of this board. My heart goes out to anyone that was hurt.

I'll find another board for the purpose of debating various subjects of interest.

Take care,
Tia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.