Current Page: 7 of 9
No matter how good you feel -- fact check
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 05, 2015 10:10PM

This is a description of how recruitment works for a particular yoga group
based in Hawaaii.

[forum.culteducation.com]

But change the a few names and one may see this play out in other groups, too.

No matter how good something makes you feel, no matter how flattering the attention, be humble.

Tell yourself "I can't be so special to deserve all this attention. What's up?"

Fact check.

Behind the delicious food, flowers and sweet music -- is does this serve a humane project?

Or is it a vetting process into the spiritual equivalent of a cruel and bitchy sorority where people cut each other dead while smile, smile smiling?

What happens if you fall from favor later on?

If your child is involved in a group's activities, adores a babysitter provided by the group's volunteers, what will happen to your child if you fall from favor -- such as your rich husband suddenly dying and you discovering you've inherited debts - debts and nothing else?

Will these nice people still be your friends if you were to lose your money
and prestigious social connections?

Or if the babysitter falls from favor -- or decides to leave the group for some other reason?

Options: ReplyQuote
Lululemon Diaries
Date: July 16, 2015 07:58PM

Lululemon Diaries: My Life in an Exploitative Libertarian Happiness Cult

.7/15/15 12:10pm

[jezebel.com]

And again, this practice of mindfulness could be good in theory. But when it’s warped by who is in charge, it’s full-on positive psychology meets Tea Party. Ayn Rand’s books are in our “core library,” and you can’t escape that pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps mindset. When a customer comes in and is rude to you, it’s your choice to be offended. It’s you not taking personal responsibility for the situation. If you point out something wrong or unethical, it’s labeled as your choice to complain. One of my managers told me she had a conversation with the former founder, Chip Wilson, where he talked about how he didn’t believe in public assistance or welfare, that people who were “entrepreneurial” would survive and be successful.

Since then, I’ve watched hundreds of people cycle through my store and the stores around me. The turnover at Lululemon is one of the highest for any retail company; even outside the store, upper-level management is constantly changing. It’s a company that really purports to be about their people, so you’d think they’d examine this more, especially since their 10-year goal is “getting our global collective scores within the top quartile of happiest people on the planet.” But who measures that, and with what measuring stick?

Everything in the Lululemon corporate culture is based on a bastardized version of yoga: the employee regulations book is called “Pramana,” which is a word that roughly translates to knowledge in Sanskrit. Ironically, Pramana really means true knowledge you gain from experience, not just what people tell you. The theft guide is called “Asteya,” which means “non-stealing”—an ethical guideline from Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras. That’s typical Lululemon for you; they co-opt something from yoga and warp it until it loses its true meaning. We once made a shopper that spelled out the Sanskrit word Brahmacharya (virtue) in drugs, junk food and hypodermic needles. The company is so disproportionately tone-deaf it’s astounding. They mean to be relevant, and instead they manipulate good ideas until they become totally corrupt.

The emphasis on goodness and “yoga values” can be very insidious, very cult-like. You get constant feedback and “coaching,” which means that you’re scrutinized from the moment you walk in the door till the moment you leave. If you’re in a bad mood when you walk in, you have to do a “clearing,” which is this neo-spiritual way of making you say whatever is going on in your life, and then someone coaches you on how to get over it.

When I started at the store, I was straight out of college, very lost. I had massive student loans and I was trying to figure out what to do with my life. The girl who interviewed me was in her late 20s, edgy, very cool. She seemed so genuine. She talked about how what she did never felt like a job, how Lululemon cared about empowering women to reach their goals, about living your “best life,” about how Lululemon cares about their people. Most of all she talked about the company’s integrity. I went for it hook, line and sinker. I was 21, and I wanted to believe that what she said could be true; I was very naive.

Corboy note: "Empowerment" is not an emotion. It is a condition in which one has conscious and physical access to at least some of the following:

* Information - being fully informed

* Resources such as time, money and rest. If one lacks sleep and is tense, this interferes with critical thought

* Social networks such that you have sources of information in addition
to the sales person or propagandist

* Freedom not only to question but to leave the situation if one feels unsafe or uneasy.

I recommend being skeptical of any for profit entity claiming it will "empower you". If you become genuinely empowered, you'd not feel you need
to purchase their merchandise all that often - or you'd not purchase their merchandise at all.)

The author concludes:

And leaving is awful—you have to do your exit interview in front of your manager, so you can’t say a lot of things or their “happiness metric” will suffer. In general, it’s hard to leave Lululemon on good terms.

And all this being said, I really don’t hate this company. Most of the people who work for the company are good people at heart. I believe they could change if they actually wanted to. It’s that belief that makes the reality so jarring, so sad.

Since the founder of Lulu reportedly bases his philosophy on two sources, one elitist and one coercive (Ayn Rand and Werner Erhard, respectively) readers are invited to ask themselves what the likelihood actually is that Lulu will change.

Corboy's citizen opinon is that this like hoping Louis XIV could have been persuaded to become a New Deal Democrat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 08:12PM by corboy.

Re: The downside of yoga and meditation
Date: July 16, 2015 08:31PM

Some comments following the Lululemon Diaries article.

Here is a conversation about genuine empowerment.

Fuzzyresearchbunny

7/15/15 12:29pm

When the new overtime rule goes into effect in September, they will be violating labor law if they do not compensate those making under ~$50,000 for time and a half for hours worked beyond 40 a week. .

[www.dol.gov]

And it is a labor violation if they make employees work off the clock.

I don’t know that they would be punished or brought to justice. The workers aren’t unionized, so there’s not much they can do besides organize themselves and report / document any labor violations.

agenttremble 7/15/15 12:35pm

The way she describes it (clocking out and continuing to work), it doesn’t seem like any of those managers were salaried and exempt to begin with.

Saltylady
7/15/15 12:41pm

They shouldn’t have been— they’re clearly nonexempt. I’m an employment attorney in California and I’ve seriously thought about asking the salespeople who go to their activities for little girls (they actually have a great run club for girls) if they’re getting paid for those hours.

.YogaNerd MD.

It's kind of funny how hard it is to be interviewed and get a position
there. I had THREE interviews I had to go through, which was so nuts. ETA
Also, they are a snark-free zone. Having a sense of irony is, um, less than appreciated.

Charityba to Yoga Nerd MD
7/15/15 3:22pm

That’s probably by design. They want people to feel committed even before they’re hired. It also creates this aura of exclusivity — it’s the employment equivalent of those bars and clubs that have long lines out the door and when you finally get in it’s the same dingy, crowded nightclub environment as anywhere else in town. If it took you a long time to get in, you’re not going to want to quit right away when the weirdness starts

SaffronaYoga Nerd MD
7/15/15 1:51pm

I was amused when Eckhardt Tolle was on Oprah and he told her he lived on the edge of the rainforest as he was being interviewed down at Spanish Banks. He lives in an area, above the beach, where houses routinely sell for $20,000,000. The only “rainforest” near that snake oil peddler is the forest surrounding U.B.C.

[quote}
.SuffersfoolsgladlyaAnonymous
7/15/15 12:25pm

Any place that has their own way of using language, their own unique vocabulary, especially replacing strongly negative words with softer sounding euphemisms, is generally a place to stay away from.

Just look at Scientology, or for that matter any place that establishes it’s own culture and world. Not to say that all of them are awful, I’m sure there are some organizations that meet this description that are beneficial to people..I just haven’t encountered any and I’ve been around a long time.

Even long standing legit institutions can fall prey to cult dynamics..I have experienced this in certain AA groups and also in the Tibetan Buddhist community (where I studied and practiced for many years) when Lamas go off the rails and exploit their students sexually or economically.

Tip; there is always a gut feeling that something is wrong in these situations..don’t ignore it!

( I especially love that Lulumon was at one point selling a wrist Mala ( prayer beads) with the corporate logo where the traditional Guru bead symbolizing the teacher belongs. The Mala would have cost about thirty-five bucks at a Dharma supply place but the company had it on sale for $108. 108 is a sacred number in Buddhism.)

alconleighaAnonymous
7/15/15 12:22pm

I applied for a part-time job there to keep me afloat during grad school. I don’t know if the application is the same everywhere, but the Canadian one is BANANAS. Like, I don’t fucking know “what song best describes my life”, lululemon, and if I did, I wouldn’t tell you.

Unsurprisingly, my uptight ass did not get an interview.
[/quote]

Collapse replies

.valeriethomas

SuffersfoolsgladlyaAnonymous
7/15/15 12:25pm
Any place that has their own way of using language, their own unique vocabulary, especially replacing strongly negative words with softer sounding euphemisms, is generally a place to stay away from.

Just look at Scientology, or for that matter any place that establishes it’s own culture and world. Not to say that all of them are awful, I’m sure there are some organizations that meet this description that are beneficial to people..I just haven’t encountered any and I’ve been around a long time.

Even long standing legit institutions can fall prey to cult dynamics..I have experienced this in certain AA groups and also in the Tibetan Buddhist community (where I studied and practiced for many years) when Lamas go off the rails and exploit their students sexually or economically.

Tip; there is always a gut feeling that something is wrong in these situations..don’t ignore it!

( I especially love that Lulumon was at one point selling a wrist Mala ( prayer beads) with the corporate logo where the traditional Guru bead symbolizing the teacher belongs. The Mala would have cost about thirty-five bucks at a Dharma supply place but the company had it on sale for $108. 108 is a sacred number in Buddhism.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 08:46PM by corboy.

More conversations about real empowerment
Date: July 16, 2015 08:55PM

Yoga Nerd MDaAnonymous
7/15/15 12:21pm

I dunno, maybe retail has changed a lot, but I remember finding out I got PAID sick days and was blown away. It was the first time I had ever had that benefit at a retail employer. The pay was better than what I had received at other retailers as well. The way we treat retail employees in GENERAL is incredibly shitty, so my experience at lululemon certainly benefitted from incredibly low expectations.

MelissamacheteaYoga Nerd MD
7/15/15 12:55pm

Aside from the Rand bullshit and the nuspeak weirdness, it sounds like your regular retail experience. I've only worked at s couple retail stores, but off the clock hours was an unspoken expectation at all of them. Forget about sick time and vacation time.

plzprettypussaYoga Nerd MD
7/15/15 1:13pm

The simplest answer was that you worked in a municipality that mandated paid sick days, whereas the author of this piece clearly does not.

Yoga Nerd MDaplzprettypuss
7/15/15 1:15pm

New York city does, I guess? Wait, no, that can’t be right, bc I don’t think my friend who works at another retailer doesn’t get paid leave.... Maybe its an older policy that they did away with?

zombiepandaaYoga Nerd MD
7/15/15 1:20pm

NYC absolutely does mandate paid sick days for all workers. If your friend’s employer is saying otherwise, she needs to have a talk with DCA. [www1.nyc.gov]

Yoga Nerd MDazombiepanda
7/15/15 1:21pm

Thanks for the tip!

1llamarampageaYoga Nerd MD
7/15/15 2:09pm

The Smithsonian gift shop complex had pretty good employee benefits when I worked there, including paid sick leave, health insurance, and even a 401(k) for people who had been there for 2 years, but that’s because it’s technically federal employment. And of course, over the 2.5 years I worked there, they started firing employees on pretext as soon as they got near the 2 year mark, hiring 2 new part-timers every time a full-timer left, and having “long-term temporary” employees when before “temporary” meant strictly “for the summer busy season.” The experience of watching my best-of-the-breed retail job slowly get eroded to same-as-the-rest soul-crushingness is what convinced me that the filthy fingers of capitalism will eventually creep in and dirty every good thing.

HudsonEileeniversityAsSeenOnLawAndOrderaYoga Nerd MD
7/15/15 2:52pm

After working shitty retail and service jobs for so long, when I first had a job that gave me sick and vacation AND personal days, it took me, no kidding TWO YEARS to get over the feeling I was going to be fired when I had to use one of those days.

It’s amazing how shitty and abusive “entrepreneurs” can be.

Yoga Nerd MDaHudsonEileeniversityAsSeenOnLawAndOrder
7/15/15 3:30pm

Ahem, JOB CREATORS!

Omega -- Lululemon Symbol?
Date: July 16, 2015 09:19PM

Worth looking up what omega stands for.

Among many things, omega is the last letter in the classical Greek
alphabet, corresponding to our letter 'Z'

Omega can mean 'final', 'last' 'culmination' 'outer limit'.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Wikipedia mentioned these:

The symbol of the resistance movement against the Vietnam-era draft
Year or date of death
Used to refer to the lowest-ranked wolf in a pack
In eschatology, the symbol for the end of everything

This last is true.

The omega wolf is the weakest of the pack, the last permitted to feed.

[www.google.com]

So...wonder what letter of the alphabet stands for an organization in
which the omega wolves are sweetly told that they are actually alpha
wolves and will discover this not by being paid full salary and benefits, but by cultivating a positive attitude.

Let's Talk About Yoga and Gurus -- Politics
Date: August 01, 2015 10:13PM

In 1960, concern was expressed publicly when a Roman Catholic, John F. Kennedy,
was a candidate in the Presidential election.

In 2008 and 2011, there was public discussion about Matt Romney's membership
in the Church of Latter Day Saints when he was a candidate in those
Presidential elections.

It is now time for this conversation to extend to and include candidates
who identify as yogis, and especially those candidates who have
joined or been born into sects centered upon gurus.

John F Kennedy and Matt Romney stepped up to the plate.

So can yogis.

More and more yogis are going to come forward as candidates for political office.

Are they freelance yogis who merely do the poses and breathing exercises?

Or are they secretly beholden to a controlling guru?

Yoga was not part of the context when the Founders drafted the Constitution and Bill of Rights. The religions the Founders had in mind were those sects to which one gave public allegiance.

The spiritual terrain has changed. We now take care to research the religious
commitments of yogi candidates, just as concerns were raised in 1960 about John F Kennedy's Roman Catholicism and Matt Romney's membership in the Church of Latter Day Saints.

Gurus and yoga must now be added to this conversation if yogi candidates run for office.

Dharmabum wrote this on another thread.

(Small excerpt)

[forum.culteducation.com]

Yoga seemed encompassing, embracing all faiths and non-political. That is why yoga is a very effective political tool because it is supposedly a non-threat. Whether Tulsi is naive or a proactive conspirator, it's obvious she is trying to mislead. The aspect of yoga she embraced and espousing is the religious aspect of yoga, wherein you have to surrender unquestionably to a crazy guru; not the yoga the elite westerners practice as sort of a beauty secret.

From the lab: mantra may dull the mind
Date: August 04, 2015 06:04AM

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Repetitive speech elicits widespread deactivation in the human cortex: the "Mantra" effect?

Heavy dosage of mantra, hours - long chant sessions may compromise one's mind.

And one's boundaries.

Just see how many gurus prescribing chant (eg.Maharishi, Srila Prabhupada, Sokka Gakkai/Ikeda have become obscenely rich.

Ditto for Ammachi, Sai Baba Patthaparthi, Muktananda, Gurumayi, fill in the blanks.

The best and safest advice was given by the old healers: moderation.

From the lab: mantra may dull the mind
Date: August 04, 2015 06:04AM

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Repetitive speech elicits widespread deactivation in the human cortex: the "Mantra" effect?

Heavy dosage of mantra, hours - long chant sessions may compromise one's mind.

And one's boundaries.

Just see how many gurus prescribing chant (eg.Maharishi, Srila Prabhupada, Sokka Gakkai/Ikeda have become obscenely rich.

Ditto for Ammachi, Sai Baba Patthaparthi, Muktananda, Gurumayi, fill in the blanks.

The best and safest advice was given by the old healers: moderation.

“Energy is not inherently a good thing.”
Date: August 05, 2015 06:51AM

What Happens When Your Guru Disappears?

[www.thedailybeast.com]

in 1997 I found myself in Rishikesh, India, on my own spiritual pilgrimage, and discovered that Andrew’s photograph was plastered all over town, announcing his upcoming two-week retreat. The local bookstores were carrying all his published works. I quickly read them all, and decided to attend.

Unlike our first encounter, on the retreat I did notice something very interesting. I had always been a restless meditator, never able to last longer than 15 minutes before needing to adjust my position. Sitting with Andrew, however, I found to my amazement that I was able to sit effortlessly for 90 minutes in perfect stillness. So there was definitely an “energy” in that room with which I was previously unfamiliar.

But as a seasoned Buddhist practitioner later pointed out to me, “Energy is not inherently a good thing.”

As the two weeks of the retreat unfolded, my “cult antennae” became increasingly aroused. Disagreeing with or challenging Andrew about anything was simply not permitted, and would be met with public humiliation and scorn from him, accompanied by his particularly annoying, cackling laughter. Cohen likened his “Perfect Teachings” to a glittering diamond, shining and flawless no matter through which facet it is viewed.

When the retreat was over, Andrew’s written works went on display and I picked up an early copy of his newsletter and discovered that his followers addressed their letters to him with the salutation “Dear Lord.”

That very same newsletter grew and expanded over the years into the aforementioned What is Enlightenment?, in which Cohen managed to attract and interview respected luminaries not only from the spiritual world, but esteemed social activists, eco-pioneers and other visionaries on the cutting-edge of contemporary, paradigm-shifting work. Although it often seemed as if he was actively cultivating “respect-by-association.”

While Andrew consistently presented a public face as the very model of integrity, often denouncing other teachers for their imperfections and bad behaviors, he was engaging in them himself. He had a community of devotees living with him on a property in Lenox, Massachusetts, adhering to a strict regime of rules and regulations, with him comfortably ensconced as King of the Castle.

It gradually came to light that anyone deviating in the slightest from their leader’s ideas or instructions were subject to bizarre punishments, humiliation, and community shunning, and anyone who wanted to leave often had to literally escape in the dead of night. Scores of people reported suffering emotional, physical, financial, and spiritual trauma at his hands.

Re: “Energy is not inherently a good thing.”
Posted by: dharmabum ()
Date: August 19, 2015 07:04PM

corboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What Happens When Your Guru Disappears?
>
> [www.thedailybeast.com]
> hat-happens-when-your-guru-disappears.html

Gurus are simply pathological narcissists. The problem with narcissists is that they do not know they are. They wake up in the morning with the aim of saving the world – like a mission from God -- having that, they feel entitled, believing that the world owed them adulation for who they are. They don’t feel guilt when they commit abuse and atrocity and are at lost when they are told, blamed or have been found guilty. They are clueless because their ignorance and empathy or for the lack thereof is of the cosmic level. They believe that the world is just not that advanced enough to understand or appreciation for their role in the Universe. Stay away from these madmen.

Pathological narcissism is a mental disorder:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.