Young Life Experiences - Looking for both good and bad reactions...
Date: November 06, 2008 02:06AM

I just got back from a weekend as an adult guest for a Fall Weekend at a Young Life camp. I was impressed with the message, but concerned with the structure and/or tactics being used.

I am a graduate student, and after speaking with one of my instructors, we have decided this would make a good semester project, and she is looking into publication possibilities. Obviously, by looking for info in a web post, I realize I am not going to get names, and I am okay with that. I am looking for honest reactions which could point me in a direction. I am not sure what I think myself...I am in the process of talking to local leaders and such as well...but I am looking for other perspectives.

My questions are these:

1. What makes Young Life so successful compared to other youth ministries?
2. Do the ends justify the means - in other words, since the message is good and promotes "clean living", are some brainwashing tactics acceptable?3. When does an organization cross the line into a cult? Is it only when something horrendous happens like Jonestown or Waco?
4. Who is responsible for the fall out these kids are dealing with in repsonse to the questions and encouragement to "share their pain" with the leaders, with direct mention of rape, suicidal thought, abuse, etc?
5. What kind of system is set up to approve or question the ethics behind the structure of club, camp, etc?

I am looking for answers to these questions, but also any other information, gut feelings, personal reactions (both good, bad and in between), etc. I understand that what goes on in "Cabin Time" is confidential, and I respect that. But I am wondering about how kids are dealing with some of the issues that can be brought up by the emotional ups and downs that are structured through the weekend. Is anyone else concerned or looking into this? I have heard that the leaders are not counselors or therapists and they are not trying to be - but with these kinds of talks and encouragements, are they setting themselves up to be? And what happens to the kids?

Thanks for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Young Life Experiences - Looking for both good and bad reactions..
Posted by: applecart ()
Date: January 19, 2009 09:23AM

I had a lot of friends who were deeply involved in Young Life in High School (late 90s) and I attended a few activities, including Club and Campaigners.

1. What makes Young Life so successful compared to other youth ministries? I can't answer that as I only know of this one.
2. Do the ends justify the means - in other words, since the message is good and promotes "clean living", are some brainwashing tactics acceptable?
No. If their only goal was "clean living" then it might be, but that isn't their goal. Their goal is conversion into their brand of Christianity, which is often at odds with other churches. They discourage critical thinking in favour of group mindset and playing into teenagers needs for emotional and mental security in something bigger than them, and discourages independence. The message, besides clean living, also included telling kids that their pets had no souls, that their parents worshipped the wrong type of Christianity and that they had been taught from the wrong Bible. They are not "non-denominational" but basically form their very own, very large denomination, but they do everything they can to hide it. Check out this article [www.christiancentury.org]
3. When does an organization cross the line into a cult? Is it only when something horrendous happens like Jonestown or Waco?
No it I think it has to do with mind control and forcing specific dogma without allowing any straying from that dogma. That said, I think it is a hazy line. Most religions could be called cults, quite easily, but I'd say Young Life is just a little step closer to the real cults.
4. Who is responsible for the fall out these kids are dealing with in repsonse to the questions and encouragement to "share their pain" with the leaders, with direct mention of rape, suicidal thought, abuse, etc?
I would say it's the families and other support of the kids, unless they decide to go "all in" and become one of the group, abandoning their previous ties to family etc, if they are not on the same page of Christian thought as YL. All of my friends except one left YL shortly after High School, after they basically broke her down and told her what to believe. To others : a girl who had an older boyfriend that she was sleeping with was ostracized by adult leaders. They had planned on sitting with her at her graduation and declined after they heard she wasn't following their "clean living". What would Jesus do?? To another deeply hurt girl who struggled finally to come out as a lesbian, they sent a group of Young Lifers to sit her down and tell her what she was doing was wrong.
5. What kind of system is set up to approve or question the ethics behind the structure of club, camp, etc?
All of these questions are secretive. You don't get answers to these until you've been sucked into the structure and have shown that you are a good follower. I felt terrible for my friends who went through wanting to believe their feel-good method, but since I'd already deprogrammed myself from the Catholic Church at a much younger age, I already knew the kinds of things they expected. Another thing : the kind of emotional backstabbing, gossip and all around naivete of the leaders, themselves not much older than High School students, was terrible to watch. Children leading children into fear, and the only way out of that fear was to accept their teachings.

So yeah, the best thing I got out of it was the activities that happened before "Club" like playing pool and such. Club was pure Cult, to my mind, and Campaigners was like Bible study with no guiding hand, just the brainwashed activities of young people believing that they were saving kids from the evils of drugs, non-Christians and independent thinking.
Hope that helps.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.