Fr. Ralph DiOrio - Faith Healer
Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: November 13, 2008 06:36AM

Has anyone had any experience with Father Ralph DiOrio of Worcester, Mass. (USA)? Supposedly this cat has been active for decades and yes, he is a Catholic priest and runs a Charasmatic-movement style church. "Admission" to see him work his miracle MoJo seems to be $10 (US) a head. He is supposedly "World Renown".

Friends of mine are true believers in his "gift". I can't see any abuse here outside of luring the True Believer to his "shows".

Is he like a Benny Hinn?...or is he just a harmless old man?

Here is a link to get you up and running on him. The link is from 1978 when he was 47 so he is 77 today and still alive at this posting:

[www.people.com]

Thanks for any enlightenment/critical info!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fr. Ralph DiOrio - Faith Healer
Posted by: laarree ()
Date: November 20, 2008 06:46AM

James Randi devoted an entire chapter to DiOrio in his book "The Faith Healers" from 1989. It's Chapter 13, entitled "Father DiOrio: Vatican-Approved Wizard".
[www.amazon.com]

Date: November 20, 2008 09:05AM

Thanks, laarree!

I have a copy in my storage room! I had forgotten all about this book....and yes...I bought it new in '89.

Thanks, again!

Date: November 20, 2008 10:51AM

You're welcome! I'm actually reading "The Faith Healers" right now, and finished the chapter on DiOrio last night. I had never heard of him before.

Date: November 21, 2008 07:50AM

I just today yanked my copy out of storage. I just finished the 10 page chapter on DiOrio. I don't think he is an "evil" man, just a huckster.

Now my dilemma, do I give a photocopied chapter on DiOrio to them or not? I've turned them onto Rick Ross' sites, and they did a "search" for DiOrio and said they came up with nothing so they ASSuMEd he was "on the level", although they said I would most likely be a skeptic (please, capitalize that word Skeptic!). They believe they were "healed" at one of his dog and pony shows. They are devout Catholics and I don't want to rain on their fragile belief systems...sadly, I think I will end my "education" of them at that and let them have their minor healings (of self-diagnosed injuries, btw).

Date: November 21, 2008 03:41PM

It couldn't hurt to give them a copy of the chapter from Randi's book, or even loan the book itself. They might learn something from Randi's investigations of the other more flagrant hucksters that might prove useful to them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.