Atlantis as part of New-Age / Cultic Teachings
Posted by: solea13 ()
Date: August 06, 2008 11:00PM

I am curious to know how many other groups / cults / spiritual teachers use the mythology of the lost continent of Atlantis in their teachings.

My own Guru said that the Atlanteans had destroyed their advanced civilization through greed for power, and that the modern world was headed for the same destruction if humanity didn't change its selfish ways.

I now know that Edgar Cayce described life in Atlantis in great detail through his supposed 'life readings', and I wonder if this is where my Guru got his ideas from.

I guess on that topic, I would also be interested to know what people think about Edgar Cayce too? If anyone has done any research on that I would be very interested to hear about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 11:01PM by solea13.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Atlantis as part of New-Age / Cultic Teachings
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 06, 2008 11:29PM

Yes, it is common that some cults teach that the modern world is going to the dogs. Gurus borrow ideas from all kinds of sources.

But those ideas can be used to support everything from kindness to cruelty--it depends on the attitude of the person exploiting that material.

No matter how decent a belief system it can be corrupted into a nightmare by any power hungry person who has unresolved issues and treats human relationships as a giant game of chess.

Re: Atlantis as part of New-Age / Cultic Teachings
Posted by: solea13 ()
Date: August 06, 2008 11:45PM

Yes. I do understand that as far as recognizing a cult it is about the behavior and not the belief system.

It's just kind of a shock to realize that what you once thought were 'divinely inspired' teaching received directly from God in meditation were in fact just a hodgepodge of ideas borrowed from all kinds of sources.

It is this apparently seamless and well-constructed belief system that kept me in my cult for so long. If so much of the teaching seems so apparently true, it makes it all the harder to separate out the mechanisms of control.

If one still believes parts of what the Guru said, how is one able to see that the negative and controlling things are not true !?!

Sometimes it feels I'm just back to a 'pick n mix' spirituality as I was before the cult. Just believing the things that suit me and ignoring the hell 'n damnation. Aargh. It's like being a Catholic all over again!

I thought understanding more about other groups who teach similar doctrines might help me further dislodge this darn Guru-guy out of my system :D Thanks corboy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.