Promise Keepers
Posted by: angel2008 ()
Date: May 10, 2008 08:36PM

What do all of you think about PK? I researched them and they seem to incorporate disipleship/sheparding techniques, such as building covenants with other men (being held accountable to other males about private details such as finances, sex life, etc).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Promise Keepers
Posted by: blacksheep ()
Date: May 10, 2008 11:35PM

I've been to a Promise Keepers rally. I do not see them as a cult. Yes, it is true that women are not allowed at these events. However, that is not to say women have not snuck in at past events. I am aware of a story involving two women who's husbands went. These women were members of NOW (they have renounce thier membership since). So they snuck in, dress as teenage boys. They were suprised at what they saw, as it was like a church service in which men were being urged to love thier wives and work harder at thier jobs. When there was an alter call, the two women were in absolute tears and went forward and revealed who they were and begged for forgiveness for sneaking in. At least that is the story. However true is the story, I don't know.

However, how is what PK does that much different from what a pastor or priest may do? The real difference that I see is the scale. Of course you will have those who hate the whole Promise Keepers movement. Given that Promise Keepers encourages men to attend church with thier families, I don't think they are a concern.

Posted by: angel2008 ()
Date: May 11, 2008 02:06AM

Im sorry for not clarifying my post. I didnt think they were a cult, but I have some reservations about it. What about personal issues? I heard that men have to share private things such as financials, sex life, these are things that are private. I wouldnt want my man telling personal things that's between me and him. I understand being accountable to the Body of Christ as far as sin, but since when are we to confess our deepest intimate situations to others, such as sex life and finances? And what about oath taking? It is forbidden to take oaths,according to the Bible.

Posted by: blacksheep ()
Date: May 11, 2008 09:58PM

The things you show the most concern about are things that I have never seen, not at rallies nor on the website. Also, the Bible doesn't espressly forbid oaths per se. Rather, Jesus merely explained to his disciples that they should not swear by Heaven, Earth, or anything upon it. His point was that we should answer truthfully and keep our words few. A more careful reading of the Epistles of Paul finds that even Paul was willing to take an oath with regards to certain matters of the utmost gravity. Indeed, Paul even shaved his his head for the sake of a vow, which is really nothing more than an oath.

Notwithstanding, I do have my own misgivings regarding PromiseKeepers. My misgivings are theological in nature and boil down to two items.

1. Decision theology. Nowhere in scripture can I find a single reference to us being able make a decision for Christ. In fact, the extreme opposite, that is predestination, seems more likely (as a Lutheran, I am prone to some proto-Calvinistic thinking).

2. Pre-Tribulation Rapture. This doctrine is shared amongst many churches. Hence it is no surprise to find that most of those involved in PromiseKeepers believe this doctrine. However, a more careful and thorough examination of scripture demonstrates a few dozen kinks in the doctrine that most who believe it have to make up an imaginary explaination for (Tim LaHaye explains away the idea of the rapture being at the last trumpet (1Corinthian 15:52) as being a retreat trumpet, despite the clear evidence in Apocalypse that the seventh trumpet is the last trumpet). A really well written book on this was authored back in 1977. Its entitled "Things To Come For Planet Earth" by Aaron Luther Plueger. It was published by Concordia House and its ISBN is 0-570-03762-X.

Please understand that I am a seminary student with an Associate of Theology degree and I've read materials that most Christians are no longer aware of. Indeed, within the Lutheran churches, it is rare to find somebody that has read the Book of Concord or the Augsburg Confesion. Truthfully, I think the guys at PromiseKeepers would do well to read these and apply them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.