Set Free and Phil Aguilar
Posted by: RachaelSmith ()
Date: September 07, 2005 02:44AM

I recently found a web site for Set Free. It seems that "Chief" as he is now being called is back at it again. He has a page about rumors, which is says are not true. Having attended Set Free from 1990 to 1995, having been in the "ministry homes" often over those 5 years several of those so called rumors are not rumors but in fact, truth. How is it that this man has once again risen to power in Anaheim California?
:shock:

After all these years of seperation from Set Free I myself am sometimes still drawn to Set Free and Phil Aguilar. Why is it that I can't seem to get that church out of my system. I know what went on. I was there. I saw myself but still find myself wanting once again to return to Set Free and once again be part of his church. I guess I just answered my question about how he has risen to power once again!

I am afraid for those who arrive at Set Free, a new christian, who believe in this man and his teachings. Once again in a few years there will be a flood of people, like myself, hurt and lost because of his teachings.

Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: September 07, 2005 09:16AM

Hi Rachael,

I don't know this organisation but I am responding to your comment:

but still find myself wanting once again to return to Set Free and once again be part of his church

My cultic experience goes back to 1991/2 and in some ways I wished it was all true but it was a gnostic and toxic lie.

I recognise I was addicted to the euthoria of it all, the emotional high and the companionship of my contemporaries.

I am much happier now knowing the truth and being free to use my critical thought processes, rather than acting purely through emotion, whether that emotion be good feelings or bad, such repression or guilt.

You are free now - rejoice :)

Oz

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: September 07, 2005 12:11PM

Concerned Oz
I am much happier now knowing the truth and being free to use my critical thought processes, rather than acting purely through emotion, whether that emotion be good feelings or bad, such repression or guilt.

You are free now - rejoice :)

AMEN!

Posted by: veronica77 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 06:31AM

I’m glad that the person above is in a better place now. I’m also glad that I have the opportunity to respond to the comments. I was introduced to Set Free Ministries 12 years ago and through the years I have come to thank God for putting them in my life. I was never a drug addict, prostitute, thug or whatever else people seem to think that seek set free. I was missing something in my life and it was that relationship with God that today is stronger that anything I could imagine. I have also witness people come into the ministry for the wrong reasons and idolize pastor Phil but who is to blame for that? I think it’s a joke for people to put the blame on him for their weaknesses and if it’s not him it will be someone else who they follow because that’s the problem with these people. Set free ministries has helped millions of people and that is the reason why its still going, the hand full of people that at one point where ok with eating off Set Free or getting their bills paid or getting a loan to get out of jail are just that…a hand full of people. In the years I have know the Aguilar family ( I have never lived in the homes), I have seen them take people in, help them time and time again and those very same people back stab them as well. I’m not as strong as they are and I would always wonder how they could take all the slaps and stones that came their way. I couldn’t take what they have been able to endure and still find in their hearts to continue their work and forgive. Because, I have been a witness to many of those so-called people that hate set free come back and ask for help yet again. I would suggest that people let them live in peace and if your not involved in set free then let it stay that way…stop being a cult follower and figure out what’s going on in their own life’s that for some reason or another don’t seem to get a life and move on. I find it pretty pathetic for people to say things like “the power he has” or “He is still out there”. Get a life, if you think he has “power”….then you are seriously crazy. The only people that can give him power are those same crazy people that accuse him of being a cult leader and I can assure you that anyone that knows him or his family would tell you that he is NOT looking for those people they look for him.

PS. I am not related to phil aguilar and I do not live in Orange County. I’m one of those people whose life was touched and for ever will be grateful going or not going to set free ministries. You are more than welcome to e-mail me directly if you have comments or questions.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 23, 2006 07:06AM

To understand the historical problems with "Set Free" and its founder Phil Aguilar.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

Note the following "Warning Sings."

Here are two Aguilar seems to have a problem with.

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability (i.e. to a democratically elected church board or denomination).

No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

Posted by: Jeff Seymour ()
Date: June 26, 2006 06:54AM

I thought I would chime in since I was with Set Free for over a decade and a half. I was as close as one could get to Phil Aguilar. I lived with him and his family for many years. I got to know them and what they were really like. I was put in charge of Set free homes, I was in the motorcycle club, I help start Set Free churches, I was in the worship band, I was one of the Pastors, I collected the money, I did it all, I mean everything, I was what you would call on that "inner circle". At that time Phil and I were best friends. Today I do not go to that church I go to Saddleback and Rick Warren is my Pastor. Looking back now many years ago here is my experience and story about what it was like to live the Set Free lifestyle.

When I first came to Set Free I was in the spot light because my dad was a State Senator for California this was back in 1982 (he eventually was appointed a United States Senator in 1991 by Pete Wilson). Previous to that my dad was Mayor of Anaheim from 1978-1982. The reason I mention that is because my Dad was very concerned about me going to Set Free. My dad had given awards to Set Free when it first started and now that the Church had gotten popular and was the fastest growing church in America things started to change and controversy started to hit.

Previously I was going to Chuck Swindoll's church in Fullerton but I felt God telling me to get more involved with doing Gods work rather than just reading my bible and praying for people. I heard about how Set Free took people in off the street and interacted with the dregs of society. I couldn't believe that a senior pastor would really live with those he helped. I also thought that pastors of Mega churches lived in a fancy house in the hills and would helicopter in, deliver their message and wave good bye (lol).

Anyways back to the point. My dad was so concerned that he mailed me a 2 inch stack of papers with all the dirt on Phil Aguilar and Set Free church. Anything that Phil had done in the past I was now aware of, and all of the current allegations during that time were just allegations, nothing concrete, but I had this funny feeling that where there is smoke there is fire. The more I read the more I was shocked. The Phil I knew was none of those things. Yet at that time I wasn't on the inner circle I was just starting to go to Set Free. At that time I was going to school to get my bachelors degree at CSULB and recently got my Masters at CSUF (yeah!), but I really wanted to become a Set Free Pastor and start a Set Free Church.

My dad was again concerned about this. My dad said "Jeff if you want to start a church I am great friends with Bob Schuller at the Crystal Cathedral and I can get you plugged in there" but I didn't want to go that route and my Dad finally gave in. He actually dared to show his face and speak at Set Free when I was ordained. He was running for re-election and didn't want to hurt his campaign by being associated with anything controversial like Set Free.

What attracted me to this church was the example that Phil was setting. Phil was doing what the bible said, taking in people to his own home, taking his own clothes, the good clothes not the stuff that I was use to giving (you know the Good Will junky clothes) he really seemed from all appearances to be helping people out. I knew Phil got the idea from Chuck Smith Pastor of Calvary Chapel Cost Mesa, because Chuck Smith use to do that and Chuck had got the idea from the bible. Phil (the last time I checked which was years ago) was still living with people that needed help. I remember in the past we hung out with know outlaws, people that were killers, drug dealers, etc. But we would share the gospel with them and sometimes they would accept Jesus in their heart and last time I check were still serving the Lord. Phil I found out is not afraid to share the gospel with anyone anywhere. He has been in the worse parts of town and reached out his hand to help anyway he could. God has given him the gift of evangelism and he is great at it. He has a great sense of humor too and loves what he does. He is not Jesus that’s for sure (I have seen him loose his temper) but he is Christ like.

As for the warning signs of an unsafe leader that Rick Ross has posted I’m not totally convinced Phil fits in that category. Phil was accountable to me and others at the time. I lived with him in his house (not too many pastors have that type of accountability). If he was into anything funny I would have seen it. There were times I got really mad at him but I use to do the same thing when I lived with my parents. And if anyone didn’t like living there they could leave anytime they wanted. Some people like to play the victim role and not be responsible for there own actions. I remember people would say that he was an absolute authoritarian as a leader. One example of this was when we would go out to eat. It is true that he did make everyone order the same Burger King Value meal deal but there was a reason for this. First he was paying for it. Second, when we would go some place we would travel in large groups because it was more fun that way and sometimes we would have 50-100 people ordering. It made sense to order the same meal because we could get the food a lot faster.

Another time we were playing softball against another group and he told us all too bad left handed. We did that because we were beating them so bad that we thought we would give them a chance. I can go on and on explaining things but time will not allow me.

As for his finances he's not rich that's for sure. As a matter of fact compared to most pastors he is poor. He barely could afford a home in Anaheim. We had to help him even get into that and I personal was one of the people that saw his income. In the hay day of Set Free when it was located in Anaheim he spent as much as he took in and has nothing to show for it today. He doesn't do too well when it comes to saving and investing in the future (that's my opinion). I can feel for Rachel Smith (the first post in this thread) but in the same hand stop playing the victim. The question was asked “How is it that this man has once again risen to power in Anaheim California?” The bible says that God is in control and maybe God has taken him to the top again. I know if we humbly ourselves in the sight of God he will lift us up.

Anyways that is my opinion on things and I am open to answering anything I can. I do not go to Set Free nor do I see Phil anymore so I can not speak for him. I can only tell you what I have seen.
Jeff Seymour

Date: June 26, 2006 07:53AM

Phil Aguilar has a history of serious problems.

[b:aeeb92eab3]Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability. [/b:aeeb92eab3]

No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

[b:aeeb92eab3]No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement. [/b:aeeb92eab3]

Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

The group/leader is always right.

The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

[u:aeeb92eab3]Note the issue of accountability. [/u:aeeb92eab3]

That is accountable to a democratically elected board that can fire the pastor or discipline him or her according to the ministry or group's constitutional bylaws.

Aguilar has no such accountability that I am aware of.

[u:aeeb92eab3]Also, note the issue of financial transparency.[/u:aeeb92eab3]

That is, an independently audited financial statement and budget that is published annually and distributed, which shows all compensation paid out in any way, shape or form to staff through salareies and expenses.

Aguilar has no such transparency that I am aware of.

Posted by: veronica77 ()
Date: June 28, 2006 08:03AM

Thank you Jeff. I have never had any personal interaction with Pastor Phil’s finances but from an outsider I know that he definetly puts 100% if not more to the ministry. I went to the Dream Center at one point and as a baby Christian it was amazing for me to see the Barnett pastors (Matthew and Tomy) drive in, in their fancy cars or from their fancy homes to conduct service and have it televised as if they themselves lived there in the Dream Center. I was witness to Matthew Barnett making statements of his personal interaction with the gang members in that area. It was really a joke, because he was only available for pictures and TV shots. He lived and lives in a very expensive place nowhere near the Dream Center. Anyway, my point is that I saw the Set Free crew go into the neighborhood and actually do all the things others took credit for. I also agree with you on not always agreeing with Pastor Phil but I also believe that it’s insane to expect someone to always be right. The moderator seems to have very specific feelings about Phil Aguilar and Set Free but it’s great to have a forum in which everyone’s voice can be heard.

Posted by: Jeff Seymour ()
Date: June 28, 2006 11:36AM

In response to your statements I agree with half of what you say but there is something kind of fishy about some of the things you are saying.

You said [i:e895e5fe7d]"Phil Aguilar has a history of serious problems."[/i:e895e5fe7d]
I would have to agree with you that before accepting Jesus as his Savior he had serious problems, after that everything was accusations right? Did he get arrested for something that I am not aware of? He has been pastor of that church for over 22 years and still he hasn’t been arrested for anything that I know of.

[i:e895e5fe7d]You said “Aguilar has no such accountability that I am aware of. That is accountable to a democratically elected board that can fire the pastor or discipline him or her according to the ministry or group's constitutional bylaws.”[/i:e895e5fe7d]
I would agree again with you that he has no democratically elected board that can fire him or discipline him. The confusing part is 1) the ministry doesn’t have a bylaw that says he can be fired, so what then? 2) Does a ministry have to have a bylaw that says they can fire the leader?

[i:e895e5fe7d]Finally you said regarding financial transparency “Aguilar has no such transparency that I am aware of. That is, an independently audited financial statement and budget that is published annually and distributed, which shows all compensation paid out in any way, shape or form to staff through salaries and expenses.”[/i:e895e5fe7d]
I would agree again with you. The confusing part is 1) there was no one with a paid salary at the church including him. So what then? Does this mean that he is a bad guy?

Regarding all the rest of the things you mention in your post you are not clear. I can only see where you are mentioning the 2 that I have delt with. Are the other things you say ment that he does those things?
thanks
Jeff Seymour

Date: June 28, 2006 08:25PM

Jeff:

"Set Free" is essentially a dicatatorship with no democratic checks and balances.

The Aguilars rule over the ministry like a royal family.

Your comment that no one receives a salary is not correct.

Auilar receives money through the ministry.

No one knows how the money is handled specifically because there is no financial report that reviews all expenses, compensation etc. that is annually published and independently audited.

I have never had any personal interaction with Pastor Phil’s finances but from an outsider I know that he definetly puts 100% if not more to the ministry.

Veronica77--If you have not seen a published and independently audited financial report regarding any and all compensation paid out by the ministry, you actually know nothing about Aguilar's finances.

Barnett pastors (Matthew and Tomy) drive in, in their fancy cars or from their fancy homes to conduct service and have it televised as if they themselves lived there in the Dream Center.

The Dream Center doesn't generate complaints and doesn't have a troubled history like "Set Free." Instead, the ministry is connected to a denomination, which is the Assemblies of God and is an elected board and bylaws to govern and manage the project.

The Barnetts are connected to Phoenix First Assembly, which also has no troubled history and is a long-established denominational church with the usual democratic checks and balances and a financial budget report.

Whatever salaries and other compensation the Barnetts receive is discussed and approved by a board.

None of these checks and balances exist regarding Aguilar and "Set Free."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.