Current Page: 10 of 17
Set Free and Phil Aguilar
Posted by: skeptic1 ()
Date: February 15, 2007 01:41AM

rrmoderator:

You say that Phil runs set free like a family business. Let's be honest here
What do you really know about Phil, Set Free, or his children?
Have you attended a service? Have you been to his home? Have you asked him yourself, all your questions and expressed your concerns?
he isn't hard to reach. Perhaps you should drop him a line and ask him.

All I know is that I am greatful to the man and Ministry for turning my life around. alot of the people in the home betray Chief because they want to leave in the middle of the night and get high, or drunk. They will live off of him for several months. he feeds them, clothes them etc. then as soon as they get a pay check they leave. I am happy to help him in any way I can.

as for comments that there is never any food, thats not so true. I have never had a problem with food or drink. In every home I have been in there has been ample amounts of food. Quite often Phil or one of his children after a days work will buy us all food such as burgers, pizza etc.
and he also breaks bread with us. I have seen first hand some ungreatful people complain because they didn't like a specific food item that he had provided to the home. These people are usually the ones who cause the most problems.

I have seen them go above and beyond the call of duty to reach out to others and help them. Nobody else reached out to me. most churches told me that my style of clothing was too extreme, they wanted to know why I had tattoos etc. phil doesnt see my clothes or tattoos, he see's that I am broken and does for me what he does for his own children.

Phil has never asked me or "Made" me do anything illegal or morally incorect, nor do I think for a second that he would.

how many of you would turn your back on a person when gang members come to your door looking for one of your brothers or sisters?

Chief is reaching out to people other churches and ministries run from.
He understands these people because he was once them. I don't see any of you in the ghetto witnessing, or preaching the love of Jesus.

he see's beyond the exterior, just as the bible teaches. Personally I don't know why he bothers with half of the people that he does. I will tell you this though we are all TOOLS!..............Gods tools to be used as he see's fit. I am very thankful that the lord chose phil to reach me.

Perhaps it isn't phil that you are angry with or questioning, perhaps it is your own faith.

What would Jesus say? who has the right to pull down Phils spiritual shorts?

If it's his corn you want to inspect, the cleanest way to see his corn is to simply break bread with him. I dare you!

Don't judge the man, get to know him!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:46AM

skeptic:

What do you really know about "Set Free."

Can you explain whate safeguards exist through its constitution and bylaws that provide recourse for the general membership if Phil Aguilar and/or his family do something wrong?

Have you ever seen an independently audited financial statement detailing the ministry's expenses, compensation etc.?

Is there or is there not a democratically elected church government?

Let's be honest here, isn't it true that even though you are a member and actively involved you really don't know these basic things?

Have you ever asked yourself any meaningful questions about how Set Free is run?

Why not just admit now that you don't know anything other than what Phil Aguilar tells you and that he is essentially a totalitarian leader with little if any meaningful accountability?

Date: February 15, 2007 06:44AM

moderator:

I have done much research into "Set Free" and Phil Aguilar.
I heard all kinds of crazy things the first time I was at Set Free. I Left the homes, and looked into every possible avenue.

Do not underestimate me or others in this ministry. I am by no means a weak mined brainwashed individual. I have done my homework.

Why is it SO important for you to know the finances of this man and the ministry? Perhaps if you have some sort of evidence of abuse or wrong doing then you should come forward with it. This man loves the lord, and all people in generall. His doors are open to all, they don't refuse people.

Because this man is controversial people are puting together a modern day witch hunt. hhhmmm, sounds familiar.......oh yeah That's right Jesus went through it as well.

It seems to me that because some people want this man to conform to what they believe to be right, and he wont be bothered by it, that they are outraged.

what concern does this mans finances have on you? If all you have to worry about in life is the Accountability and elected officials and finances of Set Free.... then you must be bored or doing quite well.

The bottom line here is that this man and ministry is doing good things in the communities that they reach out to. who are you to say otherwise?

The opinions of men are just that .....opinions of MAN.. perhaps some of us on this forum should take a good long hard look in the mirror and then it might be possible to see your problem.

I don't agree with everything Phil does. I didn't agree with my Father when I was a kid either. Nonetheless he was a great man.

If we are all christians as we claim to be then mabey we should all be comfortable alone in the thought that we have been saved, and that others are being saved around us.

Praise Jesus......as for me I am an infant in my christianity, a little one if you will................

Mark 9:42

"But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble,it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea"

How is it possible to judge that which you do not know?

Date: February 15, 2007 09:21AM

skeptic1:

You say,

I have done much research...and looked into every possible avenue.

Then you must have done "research" regarding the accountability of the Phil Aguilar and Set Free. What did you find out? How is he accountable through a constitution, bylaws, democratically elected board and financial transparency through published and audited financial statements?

You have repeatedly failed to answer these simple questions.

What's up with that?

You stated,

Because this man is controversial people are puting together a modern day witch hunt. hhhmmm, sounds familiar.......oh yeah That's right Jesus went through it as well.

Do you think Aguilar is really comparable to Jesus?

Did Jesus serve time in prison for a sex crime? And was his ministry mired in sex scandals regarding the alleged abuse of any minor children?

You conclude,

How is it possible to judge that which you do not know?

Well, it seems that you "do not know" or refuse to answer simple questions about Set Free operates.

Date: February 15, 2007 01:46PM

Moderator:

Let me first adress one of your obserd questions.
I am not and have not compared Phil to Jesus. He is my pastor and a friend.

It is not my place to discuss The finances of set free with you or anyone on this earth. If a question haunts you perhaps you should ask Phil yourself.

As for sex scandals within the ministry, were you there?
I have seen nothing of the sort. of the supposed 28 X members who lodge complaints against Set Free, my guess is they were probably not happy with not being allowed to get high, or being asked to contribute to the ministry.

Look if you have a problem with a man isn't it tought in the bible that you should take it up with him?

I am defending my church and pastor against people who have never even steped foot in his churches or even laid eyes on him.

In no way shape or form does Phil or set free control my life.
He counsels me and helps me as do other pastors within the ministry.
he has blessed me in many ways. I also consider his children to be my friends as well.

Perhaps it is clear that Set Free is not for you. As for me, It has changed my life for the better. That alone should be enough for any christian brother or sister to be happy about.

God bless you all! [/quote]

Date: February 15, 2007 10:05PM

To whom it may concern:

Notice the pattern on this thread established by the defenders of Set Free.

They refuse or are unable to answer the most basic questions about how their church is run.

And they attempt to shift the blame from the ministry to those who complain about it regarding Set Free's troubled history.

Here is what their responses demonstrate:

Set Free is a totalitarian organization, without any of the democratic checks and balances the overwhelming majority of Protestant churches have in the United States.

Likewise Set Free has no meaningful financial transparecy. That is, members don't really know where the money goes through published financial statements that detail salaries, compensation and expenses.

Note that supporters of Set Free won't dispute these facts.

Instead they attempt to spin around them and have never specifically pointed out anything that would demostrate otherwise.

Spin, spin, spin, but without substance it doesn't mean much.

For example skeptic1 says,

It is not my place to discuss The finances of set free with you or anyone on this earth. If a question haunts you perhaps you should ask Phil yourself.

If Set Free had a democratically elected church government with bylaws that could hold Aguilar and his family accountable, the members posting here would say so specifically and discuss it.

However, no supporter of Set Free posting here has done so.

If Set Free had meaningful financial disclosure through regularly published and detailed financial statements members posting here would point this out.

No such report exists, nor has anyone posting here in support of Set Free stated otherwise.

Anyone associated with Set Free for any length of time would know its practices, e.g. elections, financial disclosure etc.

But a pattern of deliberate obfuscation has been repeated over and over again here by Set Free members, by their refusal to answer simple questions about the church.

What this demonstrates publicly is what's worng with Set Free and why it is a potentially unsafe church.

Notice also that supporters of Set Free don't deny that their leader Phil Aguilar has served time in prison for a sex crime.

Nor do they deny that sex abuse allegations concerning a minor child also have been made regarding Set Free.

Instead skeptic1 says,

As for sex scandals within the ministry, were you there?

Set Free supporters will even try to blame the victim.

For example skeptic1 says,

my guess is they were probably not happy with not being allowed to get high, or being asked to contribute to the ministry.

All of this is the same pattern seen as demonstrated by other destructive groups exposed on this database and through this message board.

That is, they won't answer questions, try to blame others and keep trying to change the subject.

Posted by: Truth-seaker ()
Date: February 16, 2007 02:20AM

I would be very interested in any information you could provide to me in regards to Phil Aguilar's criminal past, such as where to gain a copy of his criminal paperwork, etc. and written complaints about set free and their practices.

It appears that his defenders have a very distorted sence of him and his ministry. I think it is due to the fact that alot of his members have never had any experience with any other churches, or pastors.

He runs his ministry like an outlaw motorcycle club. It would also appear that that his associations and finances are run the same way as well.

They are a very dangerous group indeed.

It may also be helpful to give information to his members such as skeptic,
as to how to get away and where to go for help. Alot of his members have no more money, or anyplace to call home.

Thank you

Date: February 16, 2007 02:32AM

There is a television report about the TBN ranch in Texas that includes information about "Set Free" and a complaint of sexual abuse involving a minor child.

See [www.culteducation.com]

You will have to play through the two parts "TBN Gay Sex Expose 2004" to find which one mentions Set Free, but one does.

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

And [www.culteducation.com]

Posted by: Truth-seaker ()
Date: February 16, 2007 07:41AM

Those links were very interesting, thank you!

Where might one find details surrounding criminal cases and convictions on Phil Aguilar and set free? In particular his convictions for sex crimes.

I once read an article that Geronimo Aguilar was abandoned by his father, a Hells Angel. Concidering that "Pastor" Phil is his father, is it safe to assume that in fact Phil was a Hells Angel?

Also is TBN still funding his Ministry?

Is he still connected to the motorcycle group Servants For Christ?

I intend to do a large school project on set free and cults.
If you can point me in the direction of his criminal reports, and paperwork
then it would help me alot. Our professor is willing to have the article published in a large well known newspaper in the chicago area.

Skeptic:
How old are you? Do you have any ententions of moving out the set free group homes? What long term goals are you working towards?
Are you a member of Phil's "Soldiers"? and how long have you been involved with his ministry?

Date: February 16, 2007 07:44AM

Moderator,
pass out the cool aide, these are people who were born too late for Jonestown.

Current Page: 10 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.