MDI Mind Control and Sexism?
Posted by: hollyn ()
Date: February 22, 2013 09:44PM

My husband has been part of this group for months - we have read all the sterling information on here and he does not think it applies to MDI much. Among many things I am concerned about the secrets MDI insist he keep (leave the house every week and do not tell her why or where you are going etc) He is currently in point program. I know from other members and sources that MDI corrects the Mans language/use of words if they deem them "feminine" also I know there are physical "clean-ups" etc that to me are nothing more than humuliation. (Feels like grown men are told by someone in leadership to "jump"and they all say "how high?")
I have many questions and concerns.... looking for feedback from former MDI members.

I appreciate the fellowship that the men feel and on paper MDI says all the right things in their available readings. However I feel the subtle pressure and the encouraging of lies and the judgemental viewpoint of women might indeed be dangerous and one sided.

I do not wish to hear from current members as I have read all your MDI Success website and am aware of the dogma you present. If anyone with direct past expereince has honest feedback I would be grateful.

Re: MDI Mind Control and Sexism?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 22, 2013 10:13PM

"MDI was formed in 2000 by a group of men who no longer wished to participate in the Sterling Institute of Relationship. " (from Wikipedia article, cited below)

Search terms (from Wikipedia article acessed as of February 22, 2013, 6:08 am PST)

Mens Divisions International

Legacy Discovery (Weekend event)

Men's Team

MDI - Enabling men to live a life of honor and become the man he ...MDI - Mens Division International is a collective of men working together to help
each other become the men they always wanted to be.
www.mdisuccess.com/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

MDI (Men's Divisions International)

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

This article relies on references to primary sources. Please add references to secondary or tertiary sources. (July 2010)

Men's Divisions International (MDI) is a mutual benefit not-for-profit organization that has been active in the United States and Canada since 2000. The organization's focuses are on the strengths and sorrows its men face, friends, families, work places, and communities.[3]

Contents
1 History
2 Structure and Organization
3 Activities
4 References
5 External links

[edit] History
MDI was formed in 2000 by a group of men who no longer wished to participate in the Sterling Institute of Relationship. As a result of this, these men decided to create an independent, non-profit organization.[4]

The organization sprouted from the work of several men. Through a series of in-person meetings across North America and scores of conference calls about twenty men engaged in the process of forming MDI over a two-year period from 1998 to 2000. The organization was originally called Men’s Divisions International. The intent of these men was to provide others with the inspiration and support to win in their lives.[5] Up to this day, the organization has grown to over 1000 members. The purpose of MDI is to cause greatness by mentoring men to live with excellence and as mature masculine leaders create successful families, careers and communities.

[edit] Structure and Organization
The basic unit in MDI is a Men's Team, a relatively small group of men who meet on a regular, usually weekly, basis. The Teams are grouped in Divisions, and the Divisions are grouped in Regions. There are currently seven regions in MDI: Eastern Canada, New England, the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Southwest, the Western region and Western Canada.[6]

[edit] Activities
In addition to weekly meetings, the teams and divisions within MDI often engage in community service activities in their communities. For example, in 2004, men from the Southwestern region of MDI worked to beautify a children's emergency shelter in Long Beach, California.[7]

MDI has created a weekend for men called the Legacy Discovery that provides men the opportunity to undertake a personal journey that celebrates the strength, wisdom, insight and purpose each man carries throughout their life and throughout this world. It is an exploration of the collective wisdom of men that includes each man's own unique and valuable wisdom. It is a voyage that is designed to lead men to a deep understanding of the man they are, and is intended to awaken the power and determination to be the man their legacy demands.

The Legacy Discovery seeks to accomplish this by assisting men to look deeply within themselves to see where they stand with leadership, success, relationships with women, marriage, fathering, and personal goals. The end result is to ultimately lead men to realize their own purpose and mission in life. These weekends are offered throughout the year throughout North America. More information can be found at [www.legacydiscovery.com].

On the first Sunday of every December, the Veterans Department of Voluntary Services, VA VGLA, Men’s Divisions International, along with over 500 volunteers and local businesses, come together as one. This union of men and women helps maintain memorable meals, gifts, and entertainment, as well as much needed appreciation.[8]

The men of Men's Divisions International are regular volunteers for Big Sunday which is the largest annual citywide community service event in America. These men work along side with volunteers of every age to help hundreds of nonprofits, schools and other agencies.[9]

During the second week of October MDI holds its annual convention in Las Vegas, Nevada. The convention includes dozens of seminars on a variety of issues from leadership, family, money, community building and relationship. The convention is open to any man. The 2011 Annual MDI Convention will be held at the Rio All Suites Hotel on October 21–24. Future Conventions will be held at the Rio October 11–15, 2012 and October 3–7, 2013.

[edit] References
^ [www.mensdivisionsinternational.com].
^ [www.mdisuccess.com].
^ [www.mensdivisionsinternational.com].
^ [www.mdisuccess.com]
^ [www.mdisuccess.com]
^ [www.mdisuccess.com]
^ [articles.latimes.com]
^ [forums.military.com]
^ [www.bigsunday.org]
[edit] External links
MDI Home Page
Greg Tennant's men's team parody

A description from a dating website. The author and a date were in a park and stumbled upon an MDI event. Seemed to respect it.

[datinglatonyc.com]

Date #6? App-guy and the MDI… | datinglatonycJun 9, 2011 ... App-guy and the MDI… ... Is it a cult? ... “Men empowerment groups, for all I know”, I chuckled, “but you seems to be producing ...
datinglatonyc.com/2011/06/09/date-6-app-guy-and-the-dmi…/ - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

We met at 67th and CPW and with basket in one arm and 2 bottles of wine in the other, he greeted me with a huge smile. His face was long, very long and his brow sweaty.

We walked to a clearing nestled between trees overlooking a lake with row boats strewn about. He’s from the Bay area and came out here for college and just stayed. We sipped white wine, ate hummus, mozzarella and some of the best chocolate soft cookies I had in a very long time.

On the double blanket he brought as to keep us dry from any impeding moisture coming from beneath, we were captivated by a men’s group gathering a few trees over.

Encircled they chanted.. “I am a fucking jerk! I am a fucking jerk!” over and over after an almost spoken word poetry jam with mostly 30’s white men.

Is it a cult? A men’s empowerment group? Standing around a single candle burning in silent prayer?

Bowing to their God?

The “producer” and I are fascinated by their vigor! Is there a second chapter that has come to join or are they in hopes of being recognized?

We talked about theater, well he talked about theater and his adventures in producing. He has developed an App for women and is working on getting it out to the public so women can use it to find out their “color chart”.

.....(deleted for brevity). So… “App-guy” and I pack it in after dark as the inquisition was growing.

Quickly the blankets were folded and trash gathered up as the “man-cult” appeared to be coming to an end and we had to find out what was going on.

We skulked toward the group as to not interrupt their flow. Quietly we lurched over until there was a break in the pack.

I sidestepped politely over to them and complimented their intention.

“You seem to be doing a good thing here” I smiled. “I’m not sure what you are doing exactly but it seems it’s for the greater good, I continued. “ The App-guy, waiting a few steps back until the coast was clear.

One of the 2 said few words and abruptly returned to the group as if we had intruded on his secret, the other stayed back to acknowledge us and the work that his group are doing here once a month with regular weekly meetings or smaller more concentrated gatherings. “Men empowerment groups, for all I know it might be a cult”, I chuckled, “but you seems to be producing some great results”.

The guy agreed and said that Producer-guy might want to look into it. He gave us a website.. MDIsuccess.com and we were on our way still awe-struck by the thought.

Well, it makes sense I guess, that women are more likely joining other women to empower themselves or to find play-dates, relationship advice, group therapy, etc.. so I’m proud that there are groups out there for men. Well, proud might not be the correct word but fulfillediness was the feeling. Glad to know that there are groups out there for men and that some are even taking advantage of them

Date: February 22, 2013 10:25PM

A person named MDIspouse posted here in 2007

[forum.culteducation.com]

Another, possible citation here

forum.culteducation.com/read.php?4,99859,117522 - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

Date: February 22, 2013 10:48PM

An essay, "Are You a Feminized Man?", was referenced by a citation on google for one of the MDI regions.

[somethingishappening.org]

Most men and most women have learned feminine roles thoroughly. Women do engage in a lot of masculine practices. Women don’t seem to have any problem integrating both roles without thought.

But men who don’t learn masculine behaviors thoroughly (and these are not taught in school) and who engage unthinking in feminine behavior are but pale shadows of who they could be as men.

You may be feminized if . . .
(collected wisdom from many men – send us more)

You think learning an arcane language just to order a damn cup of coffee is engaging(auto parts, stereos, computers, are ok!)

You think that you’re not feminized
You find yourself thinking ‘maybe she’s right’

You don’t have a place on this planet (a den, cave, sanctum sanctorum) that is absolute, inviolate, and your own, and she knows it and honors it

You find this web site exasperating or disgusting

Corboy--these are just a few items. For the entire list, go here

[somethingishappening.org]

References to this essay in citations for one of the MDI Regions.

You may be feminized if... - MDI Southwest RegionJul 28, 2011 ... You may be feminized if . . . (collected wisdom from many men) ...you think
learning an arcane language just to order a damn cup of coffee is ...
swr.nationbuilder.com/you_may_be_feminized_if - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Ron Robinson at MDI Southwest RegionMDI Southwest Region. Optional email .... Ron Robinson published You may be
feminized if... in No Contradiction - Pure Mettle 2011-07-28 19:39:39 -0700 ...
swr.nationbuilder.com/watchcenter - 92k - Cached - Similar pages

No Contradiction - Pure Mettle - MDI Southwest RegionJul 28, 2011 ... MDI Southwest Region. Optional email code ... The Pit, The Forge, The Heart ·
You May Be Feminized If... Unstoppable.
swr.nationbuilder.com/no_contradiction_pure_mettle - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Posted by: hollyn ()
Date: February 23, 2013 01:24AM

Thank you for providing more cleverly polished public relations on behalf of MDI
My post specifically asked for former members which I gather from your multiple posts on this site you are not.

My questions were and are specific:

How can a group claim to make MEN better husbands and fathers when they are instructed to leave the house weekly and are forbidded to communicate any details to their family (HONOR the MEN = lie to the family)
This is the FOUNDATION of this group - LIE to the family (I support and beleive in confidentiality but this is so much more than that)

I wanted to hear from FORMER members in regards to physical punishments (clean up) given - from my perspective these are nothing but humuliation (and possibly mind control) Grown men are told to do embarassing and physically humiliating things in support of others and to "clean-up" (and if called to do so outside of the meeting they have to report it after completion) I am curious if this is truly helpful for anyone who has expereinced it (and if so how)

I have many questions of course, but hope that this forum can provide me with impartial opinions from FORMER MDI Men and not just more rhetoric and shrouded truths.

Posted by: ceo1492 ()
Date: December 12, 2020 02:35AM

Hey,

I was part of MDI for a about 3 months. I found it pointless. Your husband not telling you where he is going is bullshit coming directly from him not the group. We were never encouraged to hide anything. On the other hand part of their code of honor is "honor the truth" but does not imply "tell the truth". Maybe some other divisions/teams take that to a different extent. Once again not my experience.
About the 'cleanups' it is just a way of ridicule you for a job poorly done or not done. You didn't make a phone call by such time, pay 10 pushups. You are late for a meeting, take a 30 second cold shower in camera. Once again ridicule for grown men.
Those type of 'punishment' are also common for loosing a game.
I never found any purpose to a meeting but to nitpick that all members execute a task to perfection. I've seen meetings hung up on the fact that someone was omitting one single word on a couple of paragraphs.
I did find some of their training useful. They are good at making you put things in retrospective and learn by listening to other men point of view.
Other than that a complete waste of time and money even if it only cost me $30/month plus $50 for 8 hours of training over 4 sessions.
Hit me up if you'd like to know more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.