What ... religion?denomination?cult? is this?
Posted by: Moishe3rd ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:06PM

A friend of mine wrote to me:

Believes the Illuminati exists and is bent on world domination.

Believes the United States will not exist much longer because there is no mention of the USA or a country like the USA in the Book of Revelations.

Believes this is Satan's world.

Believes there are demons all around us interfering with our daily lives and thoughts.

Believes that Catholics are going to hell. Believes that most Christians are false Christians and will spend eternity in the Lake of Fire.

Believes the Theory Of Evolution is a lie perpetrated by Satan and his followers ... the secular humanists.

What does that sound most like?

He further wrote:

It sounds pretty generic to several evangelical denominations, but to be honest ... when a friend of mine started talking about this stuff ... and trying to "plant a seed" with me it creeped me out big time. The way he talked. And the way he expressed his points made me think of some cult.

This is a friend I've had for nearly 30 years. I haven't seen him much in the last 2 years. Last weekend we got together to BS a bit. And this stuff is what he wanted to talk about...

It's the "united States will not exist much longer blah blah" part that really freaked me out. And the way he went into a rant about it. This is a guy I've been best friends with since I was 9. And it was like I didn't know this person. I was very uncomfortable and wanted to get away from him as fast as possible. All the way home during the 6 hour drive I sat and thought about it and decided ... I gotta talk to him about it. So ... I'm going to find out as much as I can about what his current belief set might be.

The "there's demons all around us affecting how we think and act" part ... especially in reference to him asking what my mom and dad thought about religion (my mother tells me everytime she feels herself worrying and staying up nights, she feels God telling her not to worry and she relaxes ... according to my friend this is a demon influencing her thoughts). That is soooo not my friend Jason. Wow. Who the hell was this guy.

When we weren't talking about religion ... we were sitting in an uncomfortable silence unable to even make small talk anymore.

Since I started frequenting this forum, I figure maybe someone would know what this guy's friend was into.
Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shakti ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:58AM

Moishe3rd

Believes the United States will not exist much longer because there is no mention of the USA or a country like the USA in the Book of Revelations.

"It sounds pretty generic to several evangelical denomination"

Unfortunately, that is kind of true. I think we would need more specific information than that. Many protestant churches believe in that stuff.

The one that sticks out, though, is the "United States will not exist" and may give you some clues. Most apocalyptic protestant groups do not claim the "end of the world or US" on this basis, but see the United States as "Gods hand" that will defeat Satan's minions. They see the end of the world as involving the US and generally do not view it as "non-biblical". Is it possible that your acquaintance is a Moonie? Reverend Moon, despite his "Go USA!" rhetoric for conservative American audiences, is very anti-American at heart, shares all of the views above, and I think has predicted the end of America. Not sure of Moon's view of Revelations, though.

If you can give us ANYTHING more, then somebody on this board can probably decipher who it is.

Posted by: kageki ()
Date: August 16, 2007 07:14AM

This isn't really a cult per se but in the realm of conspiracy theories. The key here is the talk of the mysterious Illuminati. Just do a search for Illuminati and you will find plenty of websites that talk about this. One of the more famous personalities that talk about the Illuminati or globalists is Alex Jones from www.infowars.com

The "United States will not exist" can be a reference about the North American union and proposed new currency called the Amero. Lou Dobbs actually even talked about this.

[www.youtube.com]

This is a Christian angle on the Illuminati who believes we are in the "End Times".

[www.cuttingedge.org]

Demons, aliens, the CIA? There's a grab bag of theories floating around:

[educate-yourself.org]

Posted by: Fishbulb ()
Date: August 18, 2007 09:06AM

An author by the name of Hal Lindsey wrote some books in the '70s about this kind of thing, one of which is called "Satan Is Alive And Well On Planet Earth". He's your typical literal biblical evangelical, whereby every word in the Bible is considered to be the actual word of God and therefore infallible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.