Reformulating my Opinion of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: June 21, 2007 12:07AM

I have to reformulate my opinion about Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach because of a number of reasons. Years ago, Shlomo, Yeshua Witt and myself were in the TV studio in Tel Aviv and I wanted to go on TV with them. Shlomo didn’t want to make the decision himself and he delegated the decision to Yeshua who said no. If I had been allowed on TV (I was seen on TV by friends of my parents when I was playing together with the Moshav Me’or Modi’in Band though) I probably could have launched a music career and not have fallen flat on my face in Israel in ’95.
Basically, Yeshua always gave me the same attitude that Lubavitch did as per, I could never be good enough for the movement. I told Yeshua last time I was in Israel that I simply didn’t believe in Judaism anymore. He saw that I was telling the truth, notwithstanding the orthodoxy’s idea that we are “believers the children of believers.” I don’t’ buy it.
When I see all the horror stories in the world in politics, also what’s on this site revolving around these “outreach organizations,” I have to come to the conclusion that the world needs a breath of fresh air. I find it hard to believe that all of these rabbis have good jobs in outreach, loads of political influence in the world and especially in Israel and that the world has use for people who believe in G-d knows what and that I’m on the ropes and incapacitated.
I was shipped to Jerusalem in ’95 by the Carlebach Shul and I got sick in Israel in ’95, not in Tokyo. I also have issues with the fact that I am Israeli educated and I couldn’t find a job in Israel even though I graduated 3rd in my class in the program Boston U did with Ben Gurion U back in ’85 – 86. I think something is wrong here and I don’t think it’s me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 21, 2007 11:09PM

See [www.culteducation.com]

This article explored the incredible paradox posed by Rabbi Carlebach, that is between his public persona and abuse allegations repeated by a number of women.

"It is an alarming paradox, then, that the man who did so much on behalf of women may also have done some of them harm. In the three years since Rabbi Carlebach's death, at age 69, ceremonies honoring his life and work have been interrupted by women who claim the Rabbi sexually harassed or abused them. In dozens of recent interviews, Lilith has attempted to untangle and to explain Rabbi Carlebach's legacy."

"Among the many people Lilith spoke with, nearly all had heard stories of Rabbi Carlebach's sexual indiscretions during his more than four-decade rabbinic career. Spiritual leaders, psychotherapists, and others report numerous incidents, from playful propositions to actual sexual contact. Most of the allegations include middle-of-the-night, sexually charged phone calls and unwanted attention or propositions. Others, which have been slower to emerge, relate to sexual molestation."

Posted by: shimon ()
Date: June 22, 2007 05:46AM

Thank you for posting this article. What i find most amazing is the difference between public personas and allegations of abuse across the board for many teachers and even rabbis, who you would never think this could happen to. I guess you cant trust a public persona, in most cases. I dont remember the persons name, but another Jewish rabbi recently had a scandal about him for abusing his students.

Someone posted something about Tibbettan Buddhist Masters recently too. They seem so pure and loving and enlightened outwardly, and yet inwardly they might not be as pure as you think. Thank God for forums like this that help reveal some of the dark side of the world of religion and spirituality. ITs not all so pure and good as some would have you believe. YOu have to stay alert and aware of what is going on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.