Movies about Cults
Posted by: Marion ()
Date: December 09, 2006 02:09AM

Hello!

Can anyone give me some titles of movies (fictional or not) that are based on cults, please?

I heard about "The Profit" which was scientology related but the production was stopped, whatever, do you guys know if there are a few movies like that around? I would like to see a few to get a better picture of what cults are like.

Thank you very much!

Marion

Options: ReplyQuote
Movies about Cults
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: December 09, 2006 03:23AM

An interesting, low-budget anti-scientology docu-drama called, [b:47ae754b6c]The Bridge[/b:47ae754b6c], by Brad Hanover is very interesting...if not, ultimately, rather disappointing. It is a 'free to distribute' little film (about 60 minutes) that gives an insight into the lives of two characters dealing with the In's and Out's of this organisation.

I particularily enjoyed the opening sequence...apparently taken straight from one of scientology's 'private' instructional videos.

Movies about Cults
Posted by: cultreporter ()
Date: December 09, 2006 03:36AM

Savage Messiah

I saw this movie about Roch Theriault wo had a small cult of his own making, very creepy and in parts quite graphic. There is the official website here, although it is in French with some screen shots.

[www.christalfilms.com]

Jonestown : The Life and Death of the People's Temple released this year, review and view trailer

[movies2.nytimes.com]

Two Documentaries that go for almost an hour each

The 2oth Century with Mike Wallace Cults - Heaven's Gate and the Branch Davidians

In this documentary, part of the 20th Century With Mike Wallace series from CBS News and the History Channel, series host and CBS News correspondent Mike Wallace goes behind the scenes of cults and how some cults carry their fanaticism to deadly heights.

and another episode from this series Different Worlds - hippies and cults in America

[www.answers.com]

this episode heads back to the time of "make love not war" and looks at how the culture of those free-spirited times corresponds with the messages of some of the subsequent cults. 20th Century With Mike Wallace features interviews with some former and current cult members who share their reasons for joining a cult and how the cults compared with the hippie culture.

There are several films about Charles Manson and 'the Family' the best would be Helter Skelter originally released in 1976 and also has a 2004 version that is on DVD.

[www.amazon.com]

There is info and a preview here for the remake.

[www.cbs.com]

[www.answers.com]

John Aes-Nihil's Manson Family Movies has been filmed in a style that suggests it is nothing more than a collection of home movies taken by various members of Manson's cult. Filmed on many of the locations the family lived at or committed crimes at, this dialogue-free film uses real recordings of different "family" members singing and performing music. ~ Perry Seibert, All Movie Guide

[www.answers.com]

The Manson Family

If some of the factual and character details are omitted or somewhat misrepresented, the fact still remains that Van Bebber has managed to capture the essence of the Manson "family" and their unthinkable deeds as no filmmaker has succeeded to date.

There is a sugguestion list from the University of Iowa Rhetoric Department

[www.uiowa.edu]

Contact : last 30 minutes or so especially, which I showed in class.

The Apostle: I showed this one in class. I’d recommend it. The lead character, Sonny (Robert Duvall) is sufficiently complex as to generate spirited class discussion (Is he a big fraud? Why? Is he the real thing? Why?). His evangelical-style preaching is pretty gripping.

Stigmata : deals with incredulity and really out-there religious experiences.

Holy Smoke : about a cult deprogrammer (Harvey Keitel).

The Holy Ghost People : I also showed this one in class. I saw it when I was an undergraduate and it impressed me greatly. It’s about snake handlers in West Virginia, filmed in the 1960s. The problem is that the university’s copy, available through the anthropology department, is a film reel that is very old. It broke twice during our class, and despite my valiant efforts to mend it, we only got about half-way through it. If you can get your hands on a copy that works, I’d highly recommend it.)

There is also another thread on the forum on this topic that names a few and might be added to [board.culteducation.com]

Movies about Cults
Posted by: cultreporter ()
Date: December 09, 2006 03:41AM

Sorry I should have mentioned the movie Savage Messiah is in English, it is just the site that is in French. It was a TV movie apparently but I saw it on DVD.

Movies about Cults
Posted by: starter ()
Date: December 09, 2006 09:07AM

a thread under a different catagory on this site has this conversation about films with cult stuff:

[board.culteducation.com]

Movies about Cults
Posted by: forum ()
Date: December 19, 2006 11:37AM

Is there any in German?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.