Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Heaven's Gate: The New Generation"
Posted by: thelambchopkid ()
Date: October 25, 2006 02:33PM

Remember "Heaven's Gate" (not the movie)? It was a UFO cult of Christian radicals that committed mass suicide on March 29 of 1997 over a three day period. It was known as the largest mass suicide on American soil.

Well, it seems that there is a new breed of followers that sprouted up after 9 years. I guess the group used to be called "God's Gates", which was a 'cousin' to Heaven's Gate (having alot in common). But now, they have absorbed all of the Heaven's Gate teachings and now call themselves "HEAVEN'S GATE: The New Generation". The minister used to be a member of "The Gates Of Fox Mulder" movement (another UFO cult, consisting of predominant pagans that worship The X- Files as absolute Truth). The Heaven's Gate: TNG website can be located at [webspawner.com] they have two pages to their website.

And to think "Heaven's Gate" was gone for good. I guess not. With the 10 year Anniversary, of Heaven's Gate's demise, coming up in March 29 of 2007, who knows what these new brand of followers will do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 25, 2006 10:25PM

Not really "Christian radicals," but rather a personality-driven cult molded and led by Marshall Applewhite.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Date: October 26, 2006 03:59PM

rrmoderator
Not really "Christian radicals," but rather a personality-driven cult molded and led by Marshall Applewhite.

How come they, the next generation, aren't in the link you gave me? They should be added on for extra awareness, don't you think?

tlck

Date: October 29, 2006 04:19PM

rrmoderator

I don't understand. How are they a personality driven group. Could they (the newbies) have a certain sense of over zealous behavior, much their 39 predecessors did up until 1997?

Please verify.

tlck :?:

Date: October 29, 2006 10:28PM

Sorry. I was discussing the nature and dynamics of "Heaven's Gate," not a new group using that name.

Date: October 30, 2006 03:45AM

rrmoderator
Sorry. I was discussing the nature and dynamics of "Heaven's Gate," not a new group using that name.

That's what I meant. First off, you said that Heaven's Gate was a personality driven group, that has obviously been the cause of the second group. I just wanted to know the defintion behind "personality driven". What would be your prediction for this second group, that claims that they are the same religion, but, a next generation?

tlck :?:

Date: October 31, 2006 01:04AM

This explains the nature and dynamics of destructive cults.

Note the three criteria:

[b:2418f657a2]A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power.

A process [is in use] call[ed] coercive persuasion or thought reform.

Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.[/b:2418f657a2]

The first criteria explains the "personality-drive" or defined nature of destructive cults.

Date: October 31, 2006 05:22PM

rrmoderator

This explains the nature and dynamics of destructive cults.

Note the three criteria:

[b:2b3961b479]A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power.

A process [is in use] call[ed] coercive persuasion or thought reform.

Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.[/b:2b3961b479]

The first criteria explains the "personality-drive" or defined nature of destructive cults.

Okay I get it now. Do you think that this "new generation" group would have the same blueprints? Or do you think that they could be worse?

tlck

Date: October 31, 2006 09:47PM

These basic "warning signs" offer a measurement of group behavior, stucture and dynamics that might be helpful.

Date: November 04, 2006 08:04PM

rrmoderator

These basic "warning signs" offer a measurement of group behavior, stucture and dynamics that might be helpful.

I checked out the link you gave me. Looks pretty precise.

tlck

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.