A Confession, followed by a Diatribe.
Posted by: medic8ed ()
Date: July 14, 2006 12:53PM

What follows does not apply to any [i:e7d52185ff]particular[/i:e7d52185ff] group or cult, but this section of the board seems to have the most activity, which is why I am writing here. Moderators - please feel free to move this, trash it, etc. as you see fit. It won't hurt my feelings...

[b:e7d52185ff]First, my confession.[/b:e7d52185ff] I feel that I was, for a while, an (unwitting? unwilling?) accomplice in the perpetuation of many of the cults and other harmful groups discussed here; I am feeling quite guilty now that I know more about them. In 1994 I took a job at a "New Age" store in Atlanta. I had worked for an independent bookstore in Ithaca, NY for several years, was moving to Atlanta to be nearer my (now ex-)wife's family, as well as my own.

Before the move, I mailed resumes to many bookstores, as I had reached the level of "book buyer" by that point and was very happy with that occupation (I am a very, very avid reader.) I received a promising offer from an independent bookstore and took the job sight-unseen. Once I arrived in Atlanta,however, I discovered the store carried in "New Age" material exclusively. I was in no position financially to argue, and I am well-versed in religious matters (I spent a little over a year studying for the Episcopal priesthood before this -- a long, strange trip in itself), so I just shrugged my shoulders and got to work...

While there I sold the whole gamut of materials discussed here; Urantia, Eckankar, Course in Miracles, channelers' writings, Chopra, Rolfing, St. Germian, UFO communications -- you name it, I sold it. As buyer for the store, I also attended trade shows for New Age marketers, buying the latest books and other paraphernalia in immense quantities to be peddled at the store. I met many of the folks discussed here, or their representatives, allowed them to wine-and-dine me, and channeled (pun intended) their poisons to the masses without even a twinge of conscience.

Now that I know more about these people and these groups, I feel absolutely horrible that I was such a credulous agent and accomplice. At the very least I took people's money like a barker at a sleazy side show; at worst (and this is what haunts me) I provided materials to people that led them into damaging cult situations. If you happen to be one of those people...I cannot apologize enough.

[b:e7d52185ff]And the diatribe:[/b:e7d52185ff]

This addresses the activities of controlling cults in the US alone; I cannot speak for situations in other nations. I[i:e7d52185ff] am of the opinion that a great deal of the blame for the existence of the groups and their success at finding willing, easily manipulated followers is a direct result of the stigma that is still attached to mental illness in the US. [/i:e7d52185ff]

I am severely bipolar (rapid cycle), and have been for years, but was never properly diagnosed until I was well into my thirties -- family doctors, general practitioners, marital therapists and social workers would not discuss it, it was a media non-entity (and still is, except when attached to a workplace shooting or other such violence -- that is nearly ubiquitous), and was certainly not something I could comfortably talk about with my wife, family, or employer. I was left grasping at straws for some sense of control -- I chose substance abuse personally, but could just as easily have gotten deeply involved with any of the many gurus or groups that promised me spiritual, physical, and mental stability through their special practices.

As I read the stories of those who made it out and those who did not, I see myself, undiagnosed, or poorly diagnosed. It took several years, dozens of doctors, and immense medical bills (insurance for mental health? what, are you nuts?) to get me where I am today. None of that would have come about were it not for a suicide attempt and a state law that kept me in a psychiatric ward for 72 hours. It boggles the mind that it took a situation that extreme to even start discussion of my having some form of mental illness.

Our collective inability to deal with the reality of mental illness and its biological causes (eff you, Mr. Cruise, while I'm at it, as well as those who have provided his pulpit) is, in my view, a boon for the pathologically narcissitic predators and greed-fueled charlatans in our midst. We should not be afraid of psychiatric diagnoses or psychotropic medications; the alarmist media is wrong in condemning drugs like Welbutrin, Lamictal, Depakote, Buspar, etc. as modern mind control. The groups discussed on this board are the [i:e7d52185ff]real[/i:e7d52185ff] examples of modern mind control. Sure, the medical model is not a panacea, and these medications are not without their side effects, but how many of us are even aware of how modern psychiatry works? Again, drawing from experience, my substance abuse issues disappeared practically overnight once I found the right treatment regimen, and no, I don't get high on my prescriptions.

I now teach High School English (and am remarried with two beautiful sons); I make no effort to hide my condition from anyone in an effort to show that a person can be productive, can think for themselves, can be creative and happy and healthy with the aid of available medication, and in an effort to demonstrate to superiors, students, and parents that there is no shame in a diagnosis of mental illness.

Parents: look at your children, particularly if they are showing signs of being susceptable to the kind of manipulation offered by these groups, or if they seem to be, as I mentioned, grasping at straws for some sort of spiritual stability. You already know the big signs to watch for (cutting, bulemia, violent impulses), but look for the more subtle points as well. Is there any mental illness in your family history? Maybe some that has been hidden from you due to the stigma of years past? Ask! (I did, and yes, the hidden history did exist.)

Mental illness is real and is treatable, AND it has many outward manifestations. We must overcome this stigma; "denial ain't just a river in Egypt." I am convinced that would save lives and help choke off some of these destructive groups as they lose their base of potential victims.

Okay, diatribe over. I would be interested in any responses, either here or at wsoutherland-at-gmail-dot-com. In case you can't tell, I'm just a [i:e7d52185ff]tad[/i:e7d52185ff] vocal on this topic.

As you were...

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.