Anyone familiar with BattleCry and Ron Luce, founder??
Posted by: dzrtnwt ()
Date: May 25, 2006 02:23PM

[www.truthdig.com]

Ran across this article and cannot tell if this is hype or not. If the reporter is accurate, the group sounds scarey. :?
Kids are impressionable and this type of presentation does not appear benign to me.
I did a search on this website and could not find any additional information.
Will look forward to anyone's input. THanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rubbrduck22 ()
Date: June 23, 2006 01:07AM

Most of the stuff that reporter said is taken out of context. I was at the Battlecry event in Philly to try to find out what this guy was preaching. He isn't preaching hate of any kind or any of that. He is just another extreme right wing christian. He wants teenagers to stand up for their morals and stand firm on their religion. In short, he's nothing to worry about. His organization is perfectly harmless unless you read too much into his military metaphors and similies.

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: June 23, 2006 02:19AM

Don't groups like this believe that sex and violence in the media are corrupting the minds of children? They obviously don't see that influence as harmless.
Using metaphor, such as "battle" and "holy war", and calling on youth to "join and fight", would exert the same kind of influence, adding to it the stamp of "God's approval".
I don't think this sort of thing is "harmless", at all. There is a hidden agenda here, and one that is pretty transparent.
This is an obvious call for youth to enlist in the "holy war" against anyone who doesn't adhere to a right-wing, so-called "christian" agenda. Violence against their enemies may or may not be verbally encouraged, but it is certainly implied.

Posted by: rubbrduck22 ()
Date: June 24, 2006 03:01AM

Actually, there are countless independant studies that show sex and violence in the media contribute greatly to the way teenagers and children act and think. Many crimes are commited after playing violent video games. etc etc.
If you look into Ron Luce's battlecry, you realize his only message is to stand up for the Christian morals that America was founded on. In the bible, it is described as a fight against the devil. Again, metaphors. You don't see a devil prancing around in tights poking at you and taunting you so the battle cry groupd isn't going to take up guns or something to kill stuff that isn't literal.

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: July 08, 2006 12:00AM

[www.onlinejournal.com]

[www.acquiretheevidence.com]

From what I have read by their critics, they seem extremist yes, but a cult, no.

Date: July 08, 2006 02:33AM

[www.onlinejournal.com]

How many of the moms and dads and youth gravitating to the Christian fascists looking for life with a purpose have any idea that the agenda of their leaders is as gruesome, bloodthirsty, and horrible as the hell myth that they are being scared into submission with.

But whether or not you realize what you are signing onto, when you make your pact with Luce and his bunch, you're not only signing onto a brain-deadening fantasy that robs you of your ability to understand and change the world, you end up being led to fight -- and shed blood -- in a “holy war” for Bush and all he represents.

Posted by: mindful ()
Date: July 08, 2006 12:15PM

I read the online Journal Barabara, and this guy sounds pretty scary to me. How could any female listen to that crap and find it to be inspirational?

Date: July 09, 2006 12:17AM

rubbrduck22

Actually, there are countless independant studies that show sex and violence in the media contribute greatly to the way teenagers and children act and think. Many crimes are commited after playing violent video games. etc etc.

How is it different in the case of Luce? Is his brand of violent entertainment somehow less influential and damaging to youth because it carries the endorsement of God?
Is this intended to represent Christianity or not?
Where exactly in the bible does Christ advocate violence against your enemy?
Where in the bible does Christ call for soldiers in the "Holy War"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.