Shlomo Carlebach
Posted by: Scott Allen ()
Date: March 15, 2003 09:07AM

I found the article on Shlomo Carlebach very interesting. I think it says alot about the approach of "Rick Ross".

It describes a supposed "paradox" of personality.

On the one hand you have an "enlighted" orthodox person who rejects orthodox practice about minimizing social and physical contact with the opposite sex.

On the other hand we have a potential pervert who likes to maximize social and physical contact with the opposite sex.

I don't see much of a paradox, assuming such alegations are true. Its to be expected when one who recognizes the attractive power we naturally have in the opposite sex and how it subtly effects us...but nevertheless throws caution to the wind and tries to behave as those to whom such casual contact does not have a (noticable) effect.

But "Rick Ross" didn't write the piece. Nevertheless, despite the fact that it is an article about the possible diviancy of a Rabbi whom the article describes as having forsaken orthodox observance "Rick Ross" puts this in the "Ultra-Orthodox" section.

So to Rick Ross "Sexual deviency"= "Ultra Orthodoxy".

Options: ReplyQuote
Shlomo Carlebach
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: March 16, 2003 05:52AM

Originally posted by Scott Allen
I found the article on Shlomo Carlebach very interesting. I think it says alot about the approach of "Rick Ross".

It describes a supposed "paradox" of personality.

On the one hand you have an "enlighted" orthodox person who rejects orthodox practice about minimizing social and physical contact with the opposite sex.

(Richard Green's reply: I saw Shlomo have thrown negiya laws totally to the wind on 2 occassions. And the ultras in Mea Shearim used to print up handbills against him.)

On the other hand we have a potential pervert
(RMG's reply: Are you trying to say that all non-orthodox types are "potential perverts"? That'd be really stretching it a bit.)
who likes to maximize social and physical contact with the opposite sex.

I don't see much of a paradox, assuming such alegations are true. Its to be expected when one who recognizes the attractive power we naturally have in the opposite sex and how it subtly effects us...but nevertheless throws caution to the wind and tries to behave as those to whom such casual contact does not have a (noticable) effect.

But "Rick Ross" didn't write the piece. Nevertheless, despite the fact that it is an article about the possible diviancy of a Rabbi whom the article describes as having forsaken orthodox observance "Rick Ross" puts this in the "Ultra-Orthodox" section.

(RMG's reply: Shlomo was the "Billy Graham" of orthodoxy. Many people who were attracted to Judaism became more rigid than he could and some in fact stopped talking to him later on as they became angry at him for his lax ways.)

So to Rick Ross "Sexual deviency"= "Ultra Orthodoxy".
(RMG's reply: I don't think that's Rick's point. His point in printing this was to show that Shlomo took advantage of his position and power. And he doesn't begin or end on ultra orthodox Jews in regards to this. He points out Hindus, Buddhist, etc..).

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.