Shinchonji -- How do you convince someone to get out?
Posted by: grasshopper ()
Date: September 12, 2012 10:41AM

Is there any way to get through to someone who has joined Shinchonji? The people who give the Bible classes are so convincing and pushy. If you try to leave the group, you are an outcast and labeled. Everyone outside of the group, who doesn’t believe are “devils” according to Man Hee Lee’s book . The Creation of Heaven and Earth. “Since Satan means divider and opposer, it should be obvious that anyone who breaks away from us and opposes us is Satan” (31). The Bible Study leader masks their religion by calling it a “Non-Denominational Christian Bible Study,” so you are tricked from the start. Why can’t they be truthful and say who they really follow? Later on they finally throw Man Hee Lee in the study after they hooked you in to believing the study is actually “Bible truth.” The parents of these young people are at home thinking their children are attending a Christian Bible Study and the whole time their children are engaged in listening to a “robotic” Bible student with a scripted plan to corrupt their minds into believing that Man Hee Lee is the “promised Pastor.” The Bible study is identical for all, even incorporating the same symbolic pictures as the next Bible leader. The problem is that young people are really buying into this stuff, they believe it’s directly from the Bible, they believe he’s the promised Pastor, they believe they are the “chosen” people. They believe everyone else is against them! And that’s exactly what the designer of this group wants them to believe. [jmscult.com]
So, it becomes impossible to share scriptures with them because they have come to believe that everyone else is corrupted, even pastors, and unfortunately even family. May God grant these young people discernment by showing them that JESUS IS all about LOVE – NOT hate.” All about FORGIVENESS – NOT condemnation. All about LIFE – NOT death and all about TRUTH – NOT deception.

The Grasshopper (hopping everywhere to find answers)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shinchonji -- How do you convince someone to get out?
Posted by: Lida ()
Date: March 05, 2015 11:09PM

How do you convince someone to get out??

Posted by: Lida ()
Date: March 05, 2015 11:10PM

Re: Shinchonji - I know someone involved. Please help me with advice on how do I convince that person to get out.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 05, 2015 11:24PM

Lida:

See [www.amazon.com]

The book "Cults Inside Out: How People Get In and Can Get Out" offers a detailed analysis of cults and cult involvement. It also provides information about assessing and coping with a cult situation. Additional chapters in the book explain how to prepare and undertake a cult intervention.

This book may be helpful.

Posted by: Peter Daley ()
Date: March 15, 2015 10:18AM

Lida, if it will help, I can put you in contact with some former members. Let me know and if you want I can send contacts via personal messages here.

I live in Korea and have been trying to keep tabs on this group here: [www.jmscult.com]

And if you weren't aware, a multi-part expose will start airing in Korea tomorrow night (March 16). Here's a trailer:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 14, 2017 04:20PM

There have been a few artcles published over the past couple of years. Rick was interviewed for the most recent:

July 11, 2017: This apocalyptic Korean Christian group goes by different names. Critics say it's just a cult.
[www.pri.org]

April 5, 2017: Churches on alert of "dangerous cult" Shincheonji on takeover mission
[www.nzherald.co.nz]

April 4, 2017: Shincheonji members helped believer "escape" family
[www.nzherald.co.nz]

December 29. 2016: Ban Ki-moon appears in Korean cult group's PR video
[www.koreatimes.co.kr]

December 10, 2016: Exclusive: Churches warned of 'deceptive cult' linked to South Korea infiltrating congregations
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

December 10, 2016: The Korean religious leader on a collision course with the Church of England
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

June 11, 2016: China Megachurch, Chongyi Church, Intruded by the Shinchonji Cult
[chinachristiandaily.com]

Sept. 21, 2015: Shinchonji Illegally Occupies Peace Plaza and Holds Massive Event
[www.kukmindaily.co.kr]

May 29, 2015: Mystery surrounds visit to UAE of alleged religious cult
[www.thenational.ae]

"Bible Study", Parachristo warning from Church of England
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:43PM

This apocalyptic Korean Christian group goes by different names. Critics say it's just a cult.

Public Radio International, The World/July 11, 2017

By Matthew Bell

[www.culteducation.com]

“Heavenly Culture, World Peace, Restoration of Light,” and another one called “MANNAM Volunteer Association.”

Critics say that these are front groups for the church of Shinchonji.

Parachristo may be another such front group.

It’s not just Korean religious leaders who have spoken out about the group’s use of deception.

In December last year, leaders from the Church of England sent out warnings to parishes in London, telling them to beware of a non-profit group called Parachristo. The group is understood to be a front for Shinchonji.

“This group has no connection whatsoever with the Diocese of London and has no authority to promote itself amongst our churches,” reads a statement sent by church officials. “A call for vigilance has been issued to all churches in the Diocese.”

A statement from Rev. John Peters, that rector at St. Mary’s in London, used even stronger language to describe the group offering Bible study classes under the name Parachristo.

“A number of members of London churches have been pulled into this cult and gradually they are encouraged to cut all ties with friends and family,” reads the message from Peters, according to a report in the Daily Telegraph.

In April, similar warnings were issued about Shinchonji’s alleged activities in New Zealand.

Reportedly, this group uses seemingly innocuous bible study classes
to lure people in.

Bible Study classes as point of recruitment

The path to becoming a member of the church of Shinchonji usually begins in a classroom. Chanting disrupts critical thinking and fosters group bonding.

In one of the classrooms, 40 or so students sit behind desks and answer rapid-fire questions about the scriptures from their teacher, who writes notes on the chalkboard up front.

Throughout the exercise, a woman with bright red lipstick in the back of the classroom sits in front of a microphone and prompts the class every 15 seconds or so to respond in unison with a robust, “Amen!”

On the wall outside, there is a sign with the name of the study center. But it does not include the name Shinchonji. And that is typical.

Believers say they must keep the locations of their group’s activities secret, because they face so much persecution, especially from other Christians. Some churches in South Korea, in fact, post signs that say something to the effect, "No Shinchonji."

Lee, the director of the Bible study center I visited, says she has been a member of Shinchonji since 1999.

“We offer a very deep course of study into the Bible,” she says. “This is different than other churches.”

“The students would like to come to class seven days a week, but we limit it to five,” Lee says.

(Corboy opinion here) Note that in this instance, the class met five days per week. This alone might
be a way to estrange people from their families and bind them to the group. Those who become tired of attending classes or who are persuaded by their families to go less frequently will drop out. The people who defy their families or who deceive their families so as to keep on attending the frequent classes will be the most recruitable.

Messianic leader, Reported Infiltration of Non Shinchonji Churches

The founder of Shinchonji goes on to say that prominent Christian leaders in South Korea and elsewhere only criticize Lee out of jealousy. He says his church is growing, while their churches are shrinking.

Lee sees the persecution that he faces as evidence that he is on the right track. After all, he tells me, wasn’t Jesus persecuted by prominent religious leaders of his time? His critics, Lee says, “are not connected to God. They don't know Bible.”

This leads me to ask about the “narrow path” to heaven offered by the teachings of Shinchonji. In 2,000 years of Christian history, I ask, is Shinchonji the only real way to God?

“Yes, that’s right,” Lee says.

Before leaving, I ask Lee another sensitive question. Who will take over for him after he dies?

At this point, Lee’s interpreter seems to get a little nervous, and he hesitates to translate the question. When it is finally put to Lee, he answers with a few words in English.

“I don’t know,” he says. “This is a nonsense question,” Lee adds in Korean.

But some mainstream Christian critics of Shinchonji say this question gets to the heart of why Lee Man-hee is preaching what they see as heresy.

‘He will live forever’

“Shinchonji people believe that he will live forever,” says J-il Tark of Busan Presbyterian University, referring to Lee Man-hee.

Tark is an expert on heretical Christian groups, and he says Shinchonji is one of the most prominent of them in South Korea today. Korean Christians are “strongly against Shinchonji,” Tark says.

That's because the believers of Shinchonji, “are attacking the core belief of Christianity,” Tark says, by equating their founder with the second coming of Jesus. That, he adds, puts Shinchonji far outside of the Christian mainstream.

Another controversial aspect of Shinchonji is the way the group recruits new members. In general, competition among Christian churches to grow their congregations can be fierce in South Korea, where about a third of the country’s population belongs to one Christian denomination or another.

But Shinchonji stands apart, says Byun Sang-wook. Byun is a broadcaster with CBS, a Christian television station in South Korea. He produced a television documentary series that is highly critical of Shinchonji.

“Shinchonji members infiltrate other churches and try to lure people to their Bible study classes. And when new students sign up, they are not told right away that the class is part of Shinchonji,” Byun says

Reportedly privacy is not respected in Shijni Bible Study classes
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:52PM

[www.religionnewsblog.com]

"The Church of England has issued a formal alert to almost 500 parishes in London about the activities of the group known as Parachristo."

Organisers insist Parachristo exists solely to help “understand the Bible more deeply”. […]

Former attendees of Parachristo study groups have claimed that existing members effectively pose as new students.

Shinchonji teaching documents seen by The Telegraph instructs these “maintainers” to “arouse curiosity” of newcomers and “try to be close to each other until the student relies on you fully”.

They are told to “take notes of the conversation with the student” and report back to the group leader.

Very different from Jesus' admonition, "Let your yes be yes. Let your no be no.
Anything else is from the Evil One."

Date: July 16, 2017 06:29AM

Thanks for exploring those articles. In Korea, this is the most visible cult and the one most often in the news. When I mention my interest in cults to Koreans, this is usually the group they respond with.

The group's mass events held in September around the leader's birthday are similiar to North Korea's Arirang Games. Members spend months practicing their dances and card performances - there are even allegations members wear adult diapers to avoid toilet breaks which would interfere with the perfect card displays. Discarded adult diapers were found afterwards in rubbish bins surrounding the venue. Here's one Korean news report that mentions that.The scale of the event is evident. Most members are present, and hundreds of VIP and other guests are invited under the guise of front groups.

The toilet ban is certainly consistent with other things I have heard - members being told not to bring water to protest to avoid toilet breaks, and people duped into attending have reported being told to stay in their seats when asking for directions to bathrooms and when leaving before the end of the event. These events make for great propaganda videos and the seats need to stay filmed and there can be no gaps in the card performances.

[www.youtube.com]

This next video, which I filmed, is from such a protest against a Korean TV station. They shouted in unison for hours. After a few hours, some looked ready to drop. It was for this event that members were told not to bring water. It was an unseasonably warm day in late April. And I was just filming one part of the protest. At a park to the left of the scene I filmed, there were about 3-4 times as many members all shouting for hours as well.

[www.youtube.com]

This interview with a member by the journalist who wrote the most recent article is very telling. In it, she quite candidly answers questions about the group's deceptive tactics, the belief the leader is immortal, and the many broken families.

[soundcloud.com]

And related to the mass games, here's a piece from Zimbabwe:
[allafrica.com]

Date: November 12, 2017 11:45PM

Footage of the leader arriving at LAX back in April. Miniature version of their larger events in Seoul: hired goons and members tasked with intimidating members of the public who happen to come across them. And enormous sums of money spent. I am surprised to see so many members in America. I don't know whether they flew members in from Korea, or they could have larger numbers in the US than I previously thought.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.