Date: September 19, 2012 11:48PM

Maple:

See [www.cultnews.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steven Hassan's new book -- critical review by psychologist
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: September 20, 2012 12:12AM

rrmoderator
But to date only a person employed by Hassan has posted at this message board. That person is Brian Birmingham who goes by the user name "zeuszor". Birmingham is employed as a "researcher" by Hassan.

As long as you have "outed" me (so to speak), Rick: yes, it is true. I have been working for Freedom of Mind, as Steve's research assistant, for the last couple of years.

That is as much input as I will contribute to this particular thread, lest you accuse me of being here as a shill or apologist for for "Hassanology" (that was sarcasm).

You'll accuse me of being an apologist or a shill for Steve no matter what I write, in other words (unless, of course, my sentiments conform to your point of view).

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: September 20, 2012 01:07AM

It would be very helpful if Mr Hassan posted a response to the original academic critical review of his book, and just go through each point. Why not?
I have read hundreds of such discussions over the years, this is how they usually go.

Psychologist/Dr ________ releases a book on _______ subject.
They get a bunch of reviews, some very critical by other professionals in the field.
They then respond to the critical reviews point by point, to clarify the research and their positions.

In fact, real researchers WELCOME critical reviews, as it allows them to further explain their positions, and work through the data. Peer review is what it is all about.

The review posted above is by a professional, not from just a random person. So it would be reasonable to expect a point by point response to clarify various points.

And in future, its too bad there isn't a sub-genre of peer-review for those working in the field of "cults" to begin to work through which approaches work best to help people, and what doesn't work.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: September 20, 2012 01:34AM

Brian/zeuszor:

As you may know "Freedom of Mind" is a for-profit privately held corporation.

If Steve Hassan's writings are not a belief system based upon faith in Steve (i.e. "Hassonology") than his writings should be subject to critical review.

I don't see you as an apologist, but as a loyal employee protecting your own self-interest and business concerns.

"Research is billed at $125 per hour" by Steve Hassan at Freedom of Mind.

See [freedomofmind.com]

What portion of that do you receive?

Date: September 20, 2012 01:41AM

The Anticult:

What you say makes perfect sense, but as Dr. Mann pointed out, that's not Steve Hassan's history.

He typically responds through surrogates like zeuszor.

Posted by: yasmin ()
Date: September 20, 2012 01:48AM

Hi Zeuszor, good to see you here, and to see you finally acknowledging your work as a paid researcher.
( As you know, this has been a long time discussion on the JC thread;imo, as mentioned before, if this was true, you needed to disclose to people who you are communicating with that you are collecting info ,and that the conversation or pm discussion is not private. And since you have now acknowledged it is true, then it becomes obvious that Mr Hassan should have identified and discussed the importance of this with you.)

I think you are right though, that it is very hard to defend someone that you have a vested interest in, or an employer. And though we have certainly had our disagreements, I would not call you a shill.
And of course opinions that agree with the majority are going to be more readily accepted.
Generally, imo,in a situation where you have vested interests, it is probably best to stick to facts that can be verified from outside sources, if you choose to join in the discussion.
But honestly it is Mr Hassan who should , as Anticult suggests, be addressing the issues himself,whether on this forum, or in some other way.

Date: September 20, 2012 02:01AM

Brian Birmingham is one of several agents dispatched by Steve to review, collect, and report back to Steve the audacity that anyone would criticize him. I know numerous people who are afraid of challenging Hassan or even talking to him about problems due to his reaction. Hassan thinks he is above the task of answering challenges, so he sends others to do it. I know first hand that Hassan solicits letters of support so various people can post these to Hassan's purely commerical enterprise. Brian does some kind of research for Hassan, but I doubt that it is academic research The best I can say about his "research" is building information for Hassan's website and perhaps 'borrowing" ideas from others to help in promoting Steve in his informercial website and pursuits of media appearances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 02:03AM by Cathleen Mann, PhD.

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: September 20, 2012 02:26AM

I have worked for FOM since late July of 2010, to be exact.

For the record: my work for FOM has nothing to do with my work against the JCs. I was working against them well before I ever came into contact with Steve Hassan.

After the 2010 ICSA conference, he offered me a job, and I accepted. And how much I am paid to do what I do for FOM is nobody's business.

Date: September 20, 2012 02:35AM

Dr. Mann:

It appears that Birmingham functions (though not specifically credited) as the paid researcher at the Freedom of Mind Web site. You can see a subsection at the "Consulting and Coaching Services" page titled "Custom Research Reports".

See [freedomofmind.com]

It states as follows:

"The Freedom of Mind Resource Center can help you research groups and publish reports. We have extensive files, contacts and other resources that are not online. Research is billed at $125 per hour and valuable information and referrals can be often be given within hours. Full written reports can be completed within two to three weeks."

Apparently Steve Hassan bills $125.00 per hour for Brian Birmingham's "research", which is then packaged and sold to clients as a "custom research report."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 02:50AM by rrmoderator.

Posted by: yasmin ()
Date: September 20, 2012 02:45AM

Dr Mann;
Zeuszors research is most likely collecting information from ex members of various groups.You might want to read about the information he gathered that made up his infamous "dossier" on the Jesus Christian thread, to get an idea of the kind of research it is likely he provides.
I very much doubt whether he is involved in building infomercial websites. I also doubt whether he is an "agent" reporting back to Mr Hassan on people who disagree with him, either. All Mr Hassan would have to do is read this site to get a pretty good idea of what we all think; it does not seem like an "agent" would be necessary. Zeuszor has been on this website since 2006, so he hasn't joined just so as to monitor this thread,which of course he, or anyone else could do without joining at all.
Given that Zeuszor has already said he does not intend to comment for fear of being called a shill, he doesn't seem to have been hired to be an advocate here, either.
I do agree though, that Mr Hassan should respond to challenges himself.

Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.