Cults in Our Midst
Posted by: Rmorgan ()
Date: November 13, 2005 09:48AM

Has anyone read "Cults in our Midst" by Margaret Singer? I was thinking about purchasing it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Cults in Our Midst
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 13, 2005 09:09PM

Excellent book.

Probably the best you could buy dollar for dollar on the subject.

Another good book is "Snapping" by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman.

Cults in Our Midst
Date: November 14, 2005 08:47AM

It seems like a good read. Does it speak about specific "cults" or just general? I myself am into esotericism.

Cults in Our Midst
Posted by: Wiser Aussie ()
Date: December 01, 2005 10:44AM

Hello Rmorgan,

I read the book about a month ago and so far I think its the best one I've read. Eventhough she, Margaret Singer, doesn't go into specific cults and their beliefs, she explains simply the 'methods' various cult groups and large group awareness training groups use. I highly recommend it. Obviously you or someone you know has had a cultish experience. It is very informative and explains the psychological and physiological influences and methods these groups use to recruit and hold people in cults.

Wiser Aussie

Cults in Our Midst
Date: December 02, 2005 02:33AM

I waiting for it to come. I ordered it from amazon.com. Does she go into spirituality?

Cults in Our Midst
Posted by: lightwolf ()
Date: December 02, 2005 11:06PM

Rmorgan,

No, she doesn't get into spirituality. Wiser Aussie gives a pretty good summary. I'd add only that she gives some examples of how the cult techniques are used to recruit and some examples of cases brought against specific LGATs that describe some of the damage done. The chapter on intrusions into the workplace is especially good, as this is something few people think about.

BTW -- get the 1995 first printing if you can (you'll have to get it used probably) -- the second edition has some material removed due to litigation with a particular LGAT. If you can't, the second ed. is still worth the reading.

Happy reading!

Cults in Our Midst
Date: December 03, 2005 02:31AM

Thanks for the help. I asked about the spirituality because many groups these days teach esoteric sciences and because of their reputations, spirituality seems to have a negative connotation to it.

[www.culteducation.com]

Cults in Our Midst
Posted by: Wiser Aussie ()
Date: December 04, 2005 12:15PM

Hi Rmorgan,

As Lightwolf mentioned, the book doesn't go into spirituality. I checked the index of a 2003 published copy and the author briefly touches the subject in 1 or 2 pages. Its still worth the read.

Hope you find the book knowledgable and informative.

Wiser Aussie

Cults in Our Midst
Date: December 10, 2005 06:23AM

I started reading it today. So far its good.

Cults in Our Midst
Date: December 13, 2005 05:33AM

I read the first three chapters and then skipped around to chapter six. I liked when it spoke on hyperventiling and some of the breathing exerises taught by many swamis, yogis, and gurus. I can relate them to my own experience and know what to watch out for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.