Just be honest Eckhart
Posted by: Thinkwise23 ()
Date: May 25, 2012 06:59AM

One of the problems when looking into different types of spirituality, is that you go into it with an open heart and mind. Most people would agree that this is not a bad trait to have, but if you're not careful you leave yourself open to manipulation, and the vulnerable always come out worse. I like the quote 'be open minded, but not to the point that your brain falls out'.

Eckhart Tolle and many other new age gurus are simply not being honest with what they are selling. When I bought 'The Power of Now', I thought, that's a good simple concept that makes sense. Live more in the now, enjoy the moment and all that, great.

He starts in the book by stating "you are here to allow the divine purpose of the universe to unfold, that's how important you are". Wow, that's amazing, I thought, and the book starts off in that complementary style. But it doesn't last. He's soon into slagging off (in a spiritual manner naturally) everything that people hold dear about themselves.

For example he states "I speak from inner experience, and if at times I speak forcefully, it is to cut through many layers of mental resistence". You see what he's trying to do. He's trying to get you not to think for yourself, or give you any opportunity to disagree. If this isn't cultic behaviour, I don't know what is.

I bet if he asked the audience on Oprah "Put up your hand, everyone who wants to lose all sense of self and personality", not many would put their hand up. But he doesn't do this, he promises enlightenment, whilst slipping the ego death stuff through the back door.

Another example, he states "You have probably come across mad people in the street muttering to themselves. Well, that's not much different from what other "normal" people do, except that you don't do it out loud. The voice comments, speculates, judges, compares, complains, likes, dislikes and so on". So now he is also trying to compare the average person to somebody that is mad. Is this guy for real?

Notice that he's allowed to make judgments and comparisons, but not you! It's a disgrace, it's shocking, and he ought to be made an example out of for using mind control techniques.

If he wants to deny who we as humans, and preach ego death and nihilism, then let him, but he shouldn't be allowed to sell it as something else. It's deceitful, shameful and immoral.

Options: ReplyQuote
Eckhart Tolle is clearly an Egomaniac, ironically.
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: May 25, 2012 09:48AM

Gotta agree with that.
Tolle is clearly an Egomaniac, ironically.
And now he is a multimillionaire, and will only get much worse.

And that is very true, Tolle is comparing people who have serious mental illness, delusions, and even psychosis, to the normal inner dialogue each person has in their minds.
That of course is extremely false.

Eckhart Tolle is a confidence-man, who is able to play-act that he has attained enlightenment, and sell products.
He is a salesman.

People think if they buy his products they will end the PAIN of life. And it won't.
What Tolle is doing will ultimately INCREASE people's pain.

Its the ultimate modern confidence-trick, and there must be thousands of Mini-Eckharts selling the same thing now.

Re: Eckhart Tolle is clearly an Egomaniac, ironically.
Posted by: Thinkwise23 ()
Date: May 27, 2012 05:00AM

Absolutely. I can remember one clip I watched from another of these gurus, Adyashanti, who again doesn't use his proper name, because that would make him too ordinary.

A woman who had come to one of his "get togethers" was feeling terrible fear, and her voice was trembling. My heart went out to her, but all Adyanshanti could say was "don't worry, it's just mind stuff, it sometimes happens at events like this". I thought, you arrogant bastard. Here is someone who is vulnerable and in need of some love and understanding and he's just palmed it off as just "mind stuff". Apparently she had a brother who suffered from psychosis, and he like Eckhart Tolle shamelessly compared it to what she was feeling.

These people are just beyond belief. They claim that they are at the peak of spiritual conciousness and yet they show utter contempt for the average person. They show no humility and don't respect anyone elses right to be unique.

I'm always thinking, who the hell do these people think they are. They're just people like you and me, and yet they put themselves on this higher plain.

I'm not particularly religious, but I'd rather have a cup of tea with the vicar anytime. At least you know where you stand.

Re: Eckhart Tolle is clearly an Egomaniac, ironically.
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: May 27, 2012 11:45AM

They are egomaniacs, who think they are special and even superhuman.
Or at least they try to get their followers to believe that, often using reverse psychology.

If they really were "enlightened" the first thing they would admit is that they are a fallible greedy crooked person, and probably renounce the con-artists lifestyle, and get a job.
But they are self-promoting con-artists who want to want to be rich.

And the more adulation they get from the public, the crazier they get.
Power corrupts.

Tolle is a big phoney, and Oprah turned him into a superstar.
That is not the only dangerous person Oprah unleashed on the world, she also made James Arthur Ray famous, and people died.
[forum.culteducation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.