i-churches ??
Posted by: Aurora ()
Date: November 18, 2004 12:52AM

Strangely enough I have noticed some new and unusual billboards on the side of the I-95 interstate in my area (and I do not live in the "bible belt").

It rekindled an uncomfortable feeling I had when vacationing in Tennessee a few years ago where the roadways were inundated with religious (primarily christian) billboards.

The advertisement on the billboard in my area states in huge letters: "Love God, but not religion?"

It gives a website address for more info which I cannot recall at the moment. I suppose there can be an infinite number of "virtual churches" on the internet so next time I pass the ad I'll record the website.

I believe it claims to be one of the "world religions" but it has a christian foundation - (sounds like a contradiction to me...)

It sounds like an organized religion to me--- whether it be an "i- church" or made of stone/brick.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
i-churches ??
Posted by: Aurora ()
Date: November 19, 2004 03:17AM

www.ourvirtualchurch.org

Here's a segment from the home page.

"We're glad you're here.

Most of us at some point in our lives feel the need to stop and rethink where we're going. We need to consider new directions and new approaches. We wonder if there are better answers to the big questions in our lives.

Whether you're interested in new religious ideas, are uncomfortable with standard religious practices, have had a traumatic life event, or feel a lack of spirituality in your life, this site was created to help you find deeper meaning and a sense of peace.

Our site has literally thousands of pages of information and inspiration. It is comprehensive and user-friendly for people who would like to explore deeper aspects of God, His second coming, the Bible, the spiritual basis of marriage, the details of life after death, and the purpose of life.

We’re the New Church, a unique brand of Christian faith. We base our beliefs on the Old and New Testaments and their inner spiritual sense as explained in the Writings of Emanuel Swedenborg, an 18th century Swedish scientist who became the most unexpected and original prophet in modern history.

The New Church believes religion is not mainly about organizations but about each individual’s relationship with God and with other people. We don’t get involved in politics or tell members what to think. Our task is to relay the teachings of the Scriptures and Swedenborg’s Writings, which we believe are authentic revelation.

We encourage you to stay as long as you like and return often. You’re invited to participate in discussions about the Writings or any of the many articles and books posted here. Feel free to join the message board or communicate directly with one of our experts about your questions.

Every journey begins with the first step. We welcome you to begin a new journey of discovery here with us."

i-churches ??
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: November 19, 2004 07:13AM

I actually explored some of the Swedenborgian stuff long ago.
I went to a few meetings at a church during my exploration days.

Basically, Swedenborg was another "mystic", who dreamed up an entire Kosmos in his imagination, and then all these other folks believe all this stuff from his imagination is objective reality.
Sort of like if you took Dante literally.
[swedenborg.newearth.org]

I didn't find them too culty.
They are folks that seem enjoy debating and talking about Theology.
I even questioned some fundamental aspects of the bible at one meeting, and the head church guy didn't mind, although i recall one guy saying what i said was blasphemy.

I do recall there were some little old ladies there, who were totally into this Swedenborgian Heaven-Hell Angel stuff, and that was pretty cute.

Coz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.