Looking for SECULAR information, << CSJ and AFF>&gt
Posted by: dogma ()
Date: October 11, 2004 05:30AM

I am interested in researching cults and mind control, but am finding it very difficult to find any information that is not afiliated in some way with the Christian church. So far, Rick Ross is the only name I have found that does not seem to be afiliated with csj.org (cultic studies journal), a review that on face value seems to be (indeed, professes to be) secular. However, a deeper look into csj and it's parent AFF (American Family Foundation) leads into a myriad of links that ultimate flow exclusively into oceans of Christian dogma.

csj/AFF point out the Christian affiliation of some resource links, but don't mention that in fact ALL of their links directed toward cult-survivors are in fact Christian. So, one must click and click through to learn that [u:2791557665]"Spiritual Counterfeits Project"[/u:2791557665] is a "frontline ministry", that [u:2791557665]"Exit & Support Network"[/u:2791557665] proclaims: "Simply stated, we believe that eternal life is found only through faith, by grace, in the Lord Jesus Christ", along with a long list of literal interpretations of the bible, that the [u:2791557665]"Cult Information Network"[/u:2791557665] is a Jehovah's Witness organization, and that one pressing question with a simple answer in [u:2791557665]"Jews for Judaism"[/u:2791557665] is "Why do Jews refuse to accept the resurrection of Jesus as fact?" The other links include "Christian" or "Ministry" in the title.

These are the links to which the AFF/csj directs vulnerable people in need of help. Even one non-christian link would make you think that there is no hidden agenda.

So, in addition to desiring information that is not provided by a religious body, or an affiliation thereof, I would also be interested in hearing about what the Rick Ross Institute opinion is on the AFF and their cultic studies journal (and whether Rick Ross has had any dealings with them). I have not had ANY luck finding anything out about the AFF that is not directely within the purview of csj.

I think I should mention that I am NOT a one of the current cult members who is interested soley in bashing the study of thought reform and cultistic study in order to undermine the effort to get the word out there on destructive groups. In fact, it was shortly after I learned of this (particularly the pernicious efforts of the church of scientology marketed as "religious tolerance") that I became aware that many of the web sites I was looking through, even the one that seemed most academic and respectable (csj), had a religion-specific affiliation.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 11, 2004 07:21AM

Dogma:

AFF is not religious and is instead set up, like the Ross Insitute, as a nonprofit educational effort.

Both the Ross Institute and AFF have links to religious websites becasue they often have meaningful information concerning the history and/or behavior of so-called "cults," controversial groups and movements.

Such links don't denote a religious bias and there is typically a disclaimer advising visitors about this.

See [www.culteducation.com]

AFF has been around for a long time and has historically helped the public to better understand destructive cults.

Posted by: YellowBeard ()
Date: October 16, 2004 10:13AM

Much appreciation for your post Dogma.

AFF does provide some good information such as their "Study Guides" (at least the ones I've read). [www.csj.org] I particularly like their critical thinking topics which I feel is a nice addition for people interested in the field of cult recovery.

Although most of this information is compiled from alternate sources and is not reproduced in full. An example is the information on "Distinguishing Science and Pseudoscience".
[www.csj.org]
This is taken from an article by Rory Coker, Ph.D. which can be found in full at:
[www.quackwatch.org]

On AFF, I didn't find any acknowledgment of Rory Coker as the author of the material or any information as to where we could find the original article. They may have such information listed somewhere on the AFF site, but it's certainly not readily apparent as it should be (if there at all).

On the issue of the religious leanings of AFF, I'd assume the organization is largely comprised of those of a Christian orientation. On the left of this page: [cultinfobooks.com] we have information listed according to "Inquirer Type". Sections for "Clergy" and "Preachers" are listed. This brought up my first red flag. The term clergy refers to ministers of the Christian church. Under this section we find "A Code of Ethics for the Christian Evangelist" and other disturbing reads. In my opinion, I feel that if AFF was truly unbiased, they should have articles for other types of religious ministers. Heck, just throw us a bone and give us something for at least [i:97259255e5]one[/i:97259255e5] other religion if they're going to be providing religiously oriented material.

On this same AFF page, down below on the left we find links to other "AFF Sites" including "Faith Resource" (which appears to be under construction). When we click on this link, at the top of the page that loads we find that Faith Resource is brought to us by AFF and CYS (Center for Youth Studies). [www.centerforyouth.org] This site is highly disturbing. It's artificially divided between a "Community Edition" and a "Ministry Edition". I say artificially because right on their home page we find "CYS Affiliate Links" -- It appears that every single link here is for Christian organizations (and the list is huge). CYS is clearly a Christian outfit.

Since AFF works with CYS, and AFF provides information for Christian clergy, evangelists, etc. (without providing any for other religions), I think it's safe to assume the AFF is more or less a Christina outfit. This is just from a little poking around on their site. Perhaps there's more red flags, or perhaps there's material I've missed to counter my initial conclusions here.

This is potentially problematic for the cult recovery field. AFF may be a corporate Christian juggernaut masking it's intentions in similar ways as Scientology does. If the cult recovery movement becomes largely assimilated under a Christian banner (or any specific religious banner), this can alienate many who have other perspectives who are looking for cult recovery information. This can cause lose of interest and aversion to the wealth of information contained within the cult recovery field.

Date: October 17, 2004 12:00AM

YellowBeard:

I can assure you personally and professionally that AFF is not a Christian, but rather a secular concern.

It has no religious affiliation or agenda.

Members of its board are Jewish, Catholic etc.

It is an educational effort and accordingly acheived tax-exempt status under this category.

It was initially launched largely by John Clark , M.D. (now deceased) a noted psychiatrist and early opponent of cults.

AFF may work with Christian groups, but this does not mean it has any specific religious agenda.

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: October 17, 2004 12:41AM

It is totally appropriate for AFF to have sections 'for clergy' etc.

Many many folks in society turn first to their pastors, rabbis, priest in times of trouble. Such clergy may have no background in cults, and not any resources to assist those with loved one in cults, or cult 'walk aways', etc.

It is totally appropriate for them to have a resource to assist them to help their parishoners.

Posted by: dogma ()
Date: October 17, 2004 02:21AM

Yellow Beard:

I am glad that I am not the only one who is skeptical about the sources of information, particularly when it comes to dissemination of cultic resources. I also appreciate the links you included. I agree that there should be links for other religions, but am willing to accept the possibility that the ecumenical bias reflects the available resources, and not the persuasion of AFF, particularly since I have not been able to find much cult info on the internet that is not affiliated in some way with the Christian faith, if it seems to be affiliated with any faith at all.

-----------------------

Moderator:

I appreciate your personal and professional stance, and I am prepared to suspend my judgements of csj and AFF in light of your replies, and in the spirit of an "innoscent until proven guilty" paradigm, rather than one that is based more in the spirit of conspiracy.

I'm presuming that [u:90b55e0cd9]www.americanfamilyfoundation.com[/u:90b55e0cd9] is a different American Family Foundation than the American Family Foundation of csj? I have still been unable to find anything that is about the AFF of csj that is not specific to csj, so I'm also presuming that the [i:90b55e0cd9]only[/i:90b55e0cd9] mission of AFF is the dissemination of cult-related information and resources?

-----------------------

What I am looking for now are reputable academic journal articles about cults, or specifically on mind control. While the Cultic Studies Journal may have some appropriate information, I would like to find some peer-reviewed jounal articles, and would love some recommendations on specific ones that I should track down. I guess I should come out as a doctoral student in counseling psychology, to give you a sense of why I need articles (and not just books) and the stress on primary, peer-reviewed, academicly "reputable" sources. I am having a lot of trouble finding such sources, and I cannot base my research on less traditionally credible sources in the field. The sad thing would be if there really isn't enough out there to base academic work on, because it is terribly difficult to get an academic interest if your sources are not academic, as judged by the harsh criteria of traditional academia. So, if there are not many academic articles published, I don't think one stands much of a chance publishing a new one. I am very interested in the subject, and believe it to be important, and would like to make a contribution, but if there is nothing out there already, I'll need to find something else that at least has some precident in the field, enough to be able to cite a fair amount of "reputable" sources.

[/color:90b55e0cd9]THANKS![/color:90b55e0cd9]

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: October 17, 2004 06:56AM

The links page from AFF is below (after the line of asterisks).

As one who is fortunate enough to live near two board members, who are kind enough to hold a support group in their home once a month, I can attest to the fact that this is not an organization affiliated with any Christian organization. Perhaps you have AFA mixed up with AFF?

The CSJ/AFF web site clearly has something for everyone. There are links for inquiries from the general public, clergy, psychologists, law enforcement, attorneys, and information from psychologists, and lawyers, former group members. Unfortunately, many of the inquiries come from family of and former members of groups that are off-shoots of Catholic and Christian groups. As the teachings in these manipulative groups might SOUND like the teaching of the churches, it is imperative that clergy know what they're dealing with, to avoid harming those in recovery by inadvertently enforcing the false teachings.

The Faith Resources page has basic educational information on all the major religions. If you take a look at the links on the CY page, there are listings for links to non-Christian sites, like belief .net, links about advertising, legal\justice info, lots of info to teach kids how to think critically.

.AFF resources about psychological manipulation, cult groups, sects, and new religious movements.

Links

Review current news articles from Cultic Studies Review!

Links by group Type index

<> * business: multi level marketing - links
<> * other - links
<> * other: ufo - links
<> * political
<> * religion: bible-based - links
<> * religion: eastern - links
<> * religion: magick/occult - links
<> * religion: new age - links
<> * religion: satanism - links
<> * religion: scientology - links
<> * self improvement: trainings - links
<> * self-improvement: substance abuse - links
<> * self-improvement: therapy - links

Links by Topic Type index

<> * child abuse - links
<> * children - links
<> * education - links
<> * influence - links
<> * medical - links
<> * mental health - links
<> * recovery - links
<> * women - links

Links by Resource type index

<> * 1st amendment - links
<> * consumer organization - links
<> * critical thinking - links
<> * cultic studies - links
<> * government - links
<> * legal - links
<> * media - links
<> * missing persons - links
<> * philosophy - links
<> * psychology - links
<> * religious studies - links

_________________________________________________________ ^

Related Information

Review current news articles from Cultic Studies Review!

Index Pages

* Index Links By Title
* Index Links By URL
* Index: collections study guide children
* ‡ by group name
* ‡ by group type
*<> by group type - links
*<> by resource type - links
*<> by subject, topic, resource types
*<> by topic type - links
<> new additions
Cult Observer: Guest Column Index
Guest Column Group Index - Cult Observer
Guest Column Topic Index - Cult Observer
Jonestown Index

Date: October 17, 2004 11:41PM

Dogma:

Margaret Singer is perhaps the most distinguished and published academic on the subject of cults and their influence techniques.

Her book "Cults in Our Midst" is excellent.

Janja Lalich, who once wrote with Margaret Singer, has a new book out building on her experience titled "Bounded Choice."

It is very important to realize that some academics are not objective and/or reliable regarding the subject of cults. Some have been called "cult apologists" and have received funding from such groups.

Margaret Singer published numerous academic papers and AFF is a source for many papers on the subject.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.