Re: "Jesus Christians," "Australian cult," Dave McKay
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: May 15, 2010 02:29AM

Thank you, Mal. Sure, I'd be happy to send you some of my material once it has been graded and returned to me. I wrote this one paper (for my Abnormal Psych class) that is about the documentary film, Grizzly Man. I think that you'll like it.

What do I think has led DM to become progressively more and more removed from reality over the years? It's a combination of things, in my opinion.

First, I think that he was probably a non-neurotypical person in the first place. I think that DM is a man who could be diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum, probably Asperger's. If DM were to undergo a neuropsych battery and an fMRI, I wonder what his neurological profile would look like?

Next, David has by all accounts been manipulative and self-promoting for years. I recall a certain someone with whom I'd enjoyed a conversation years ago. This person told me that DM once started a Bible club back when he was in high school, but wound up getting kicked out of the very club that he himself had started due to some unspecified "personality conflicts."

Another thing of course is that is old grandma once predicted that he'd be a great man of God. He's been trying to make that true ever since, Billy Graham and all that.

So was DM always disturbed? Yes. You take a person with a likely non-neurotypical profile from birth, who was raised in a hyper-religious and emotionally abusive environment and so subjected to considerable psychological trauma as a child and you get an adult who is an autistic, psychopathic religious nut with OCD and a mean streak.

Mal, I agree with that DM and his clones do not, indeed cannot, see just how transparently phony that they are. It makes me sad to think that just about everybody can see that the JCs are an abusive cult except for the JCs.

Our efforts at undermining their recruitment have worked and are working. VE did not join after I told her that DM is a crazy man, the JCs are a crazy group, and that she should not join them unless he wanted to be crazy too. And remember Tofferer? Information that I'd shared with him, and conversations I'd had with him on the phone, helped him to decide against joining them too. I stand by my prediction that they'll never get another new recruit again, mostly because of information that has been and is being distributed via the Internet.

Date: May 15, 2010 06:57AM

It's the StanFORD Prison Experiment, Kevin. Not StanFIELD Prison Experiment. Just FYI. I know that you are reading this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2010 07:01AM by zeuszor.

Date: May 15, 2010 08:42AM

Kevin
Thanks for the correction, Brian, and for your attention to my comments as well.

You are welcome, Kevin. The main thing to me is that David and his people end up with bad publicity, so that others may be turned off from joining them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2010 08:46AM by zeuszor.

Date: May 16, 2010 08:56AM

Along with Zimbardo and Rosenhan, Kevin, another good read in the world of social psychology in general (and social identity theory specifically) is Erving Goffman's Asylums, in which he writes of his construct of the "total institution." Check it out. And Zimbardo did a lot of neat stuff before the prison study. Look for his experiments exploring deindividuation, and the influence of anonymity on the facilitation of agressive behavior.

Considering the effects of groupthink (a term coined by Erving Janis in 1972) as a consequence of “peer pressure” will help one to understand groups like the JCs. The findings of Tajfel and Turner (1981, 1987) that were drawn from their research on “ingroup favoritism” are also applicable. In their self-congratulatory little microcosmic world, the JCs all thus reinforce one another’s behaviors from situation to situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 09:13AM by zeuszor.

Date: May 16, 2010 09:22PM

edit mistake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 09:23PM by zeuszor.

Date: May 16, 2010 09:22PM

I believe it also demonstrates the power of labelling and how difficult it is for individuals to make an objective analysis that defies the perspective of the institution that frames their judgement.

Ojective analysis, you say? In other words, it's hard to see the picture when you're in the frame. Sound familiar, Kevin?

Date: May 18, 2010 06:27AM

Wonder what is "framing" Brian's loss of objectivity when he does that?

Contact me privately and I'll tell you exactly this, Kevin. There are certain things, details that I will not mention in public. It'd be easy for you to get my email address. Write to the gmail one if you'd care to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 06:27AM by zeuszor.

Date: May 18, 2010 09:52AM

Kevin's posts seem to be edited from time to time. Kevin, do you have moderator privileges over there at XJCs?

Date: May 18, 2010 05:43PM

....I think that he was probably a non-neurotypical person in the first place.... Zeuszor

My God! Zeuszor...Why...that's it!....

I think I now know the cause of the problem that has so afflicted David...

You know...I've seen the very same thing happen elsewhere...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 18, 2010 10:09PM

OK, Kevin, so it was his mother (and not his grandmother) who prophesied to DM that he'd be a great man of God and all that. But that's not what she herself told me personally, nor what persons other than yourself have corroborated. But if you say it is so, then I believe you. Next exhibit, please.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.