Christian Identity Religion
Posted by: ScottD ()
Date: July 19, 2004 08:34PM

Has anyone heard of this group and if so, give me any information about it?

Thanks,
ScottD

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brw ()
Date: July 20, 2004 01:53AM

If it's the Christian Identity from the midwest and south in the U.S., they are a white supremacist group.

[www.culteducation.com]

Back in Missouri, these extremists (along with Confederate Hammerskins, Klan-types and an assortment of other backwoods bozos) were always lurking around attacking and threatening people, as well as having rallies and giving out pamphlets.

If you're white and don't believe what they do, you are a n*****-lover, a race-traitor, etc.

Their cowardice and lack of a healthy world view is what makes them scary.

Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: July 20, 2004 03:19AM

"The Christian Identity religion asserts that whites, not Jews, are the true Israelites favored by God in the Bible. In most of its forms, Identity theology depicts Jews as biologically descended from Satan, while non-whites are seen as soulless "mud people" created with the other Biblical "beasts of the field." Christian Identity has its roots in a 19th-century English fad called British Israelism, which asserted that European whites were descended from the ten "lost tribes" of Israel and were thus related to Jews, who were descended from the other two Hebrew tribes mentioned in the Bible. But British Israelism, which was initially friendly to Jews, was adopted and transformed in the 20th century into a rabidly anti-Semitic creed by a number of racist preachers in the United States.
For decades, identity has been one of the most important ideologies for the white supremacist movement. In its hardest line form, it asserts that Christ will not return to earth until the globe is swept clean of Jews and other "Satanic" fluences. In recent years, deep doctrinal disputes, the lack of a central church structure, and a shift among white supremacists towards agnosticism and racist variations of neo-Paganism have weakened the Identity movement and reduced the number of its adherents."
From The Southern Poverty Law Center site: [www.splcenter.org]
They also have a list of chapters of this organization.

Posted by: ScottD ()
Date: July 20, 2004 11:09PM

Thank you for the replies. Maybe I should have phrased my question better. As you can see, I'm new to this board, and was sort of testing the waters.

What I was really trying to ask was, in part, answered by the post which quoted the Law Center. But I was caught by the comment that said for various reasons, the membership has declined, or words to that effect.

I do prison ministry work as a volunteer assistant chaplain, and some inmates have, quite suddenly, started asking me about this "religion". It seems that some recruitment is taking place. This is fairly "normal" from Muslims and other groups, but this was a new one on me.

Would you think this was farily commonplace in a prison environment, or should it be viewed as a red flag as a resurgence of interest?

Thanks,
ScottD

Date: July 21, 2004 02:49AM

"Would you think this was farily commonplace in a prison environment, or should it be viewed as a red flag as a resurgence of interest?"

I believe both options are accurate, prisons are a great place for recruitment, especially for hate groups, and I'd also view what you are experiencing as a resurgence of interest. You could contact the Law Center folks and talk with them, they track such patterns and your observations would be valuable, also the web site can inform more about this group.

Date: July 21, 2004 03:02AM

*Dangerous Convictions: Extremist Recruitment in America's Prisons*

[www.adl.org]

Decent article on the topic, also
[www.adl.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.