Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Church of Elias
Posted by: Jaded ()
Date: July 01, 2005 05:52AM

They have a website at [www.thechurchofelias.com] where information can be requested.

The church lives in Idaho, mostly in Pocatello. The prophet who started the church, John Michael Fletcher, died a few years ago. They receive direction from him, according to the website.

Few members. Counting only adults, less than 10 while the rest are children. The prophet's widow has had children since her husband died and has claimed to be impregnated by him in the spirit. There are other children that were fathered by the prophet, although this is not known by all members of the church.

Most members live off welfare or are supported by the new leader of their church. The widow will always be supported by them. The widow is kept under strict watch so that her family can not convince her to leave the group.

A temple is used that is in the same home as the prophet's widow and the children are taught all teachings of the church.

The church originated from Mormon doctrine and most, if not all, members have been excommunicated from that church.

The deceased prophet had a wife that divorced him because she did not believe the same and feared for the future of her children in the communal society he designed. He fled to Colorado, Utah, and Idaho states hiding to to avoid paying child support. His followers supported him for almost a decade before he passed away unexpectedly in Idaho where he is now buried. They expect him to be risen.

During the prophet's life he was jailed six months in Colorado for a sexual violation, although it is not clear what the charge was. It had something to with a woman he was preaching to that claimed he sexually molested her, or attempted. The church says it was fabricated. The ex-wife keeps herself distanted from the church but feels sorry for the widow because she doesn't seem to want to get away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Church of Elias
Date: October 18, 2007 01:44AM

Just an update on the group.

The widow became the church concubine and had another baby for the leader of the church.

She "married" him near the beginning of this year, although he is already married to the other woman.

They had to leave their homes as no one is employed, living off death benefits and welfare, and are living in the hills. They run a survivalist store, although I don't know if they own it.

By latest revelation, the oldest boy has had to leave the group. I think he will be 19 soon. I don't know where he has gone yet... but was told he was slow and not happy about having to leave. (I lived with him for a year when he was about six-- I would never say he was "slow". Sheltered, most likely)

So, isn't the next step taking up arms??

Date: October 18, 2007 01:48AM

Jaded
They have a website at [www.thechurchofelias.com] where information can be requested.

The church lives in Idaho, mostly in Pocatello. The prophet who started the church, John Michael Fletcher, died a few years ago. They receive direction from him, according to the website.

Few members. Counting only adults, less than 10 while the rest are children. The prophet's widow has had children since her husband died and has claimed to be impregnated by him in the spirit. There are other children that were fathered by the prophet, although this is not known by all members of the church.

Most members live off welfare or are supported by the new leader of their church. The widow will always be supported by them. The widow is kept under strict watch so that her family can not convince her to leave the group.

A temple is used that is in the same home as the prophet's widow and the children are taught all teachings of the church.

The church originated from Mormon doctrine and most, if not all, members have been excommunicated from that church.

The deceased prophet had a wife that divorced him because she did not believe the same and feared for the future of her children in the communal society he designed. He fled to Colorado, Utah, and Idaho states hiding to to avoid paying child support. His followers supported him for almost a decade before he passed away unexpectedly in Idaho where he is now buried. They expect him to be risen.

During the prophet's life he was jailed six months in Colorado for a sexual violation, although it is not clear what the charge was. It had something to with a woman he was preaching to that claimed he sexually molested her, or attempted. The church says it was fabricated. The ex-wife keeps herself distanted from the church but feels sorry for the widow because she doesn't seem to want to get away.

Just an update on the group.

The widow became the church concubine and had another baby for the leader of the church.

She "married" him near the beginning of this year, although he is already married to the other woman.

They had to leave their homes as no one is employed, living off death benefits and welfare, and are living in the hills. They run a survivalist store, although I don't know if they own it.

By latest revelation, the oldest boy has had to leave the group. I think he will be 19 soon. I don't know where he has gone yet... but was told he was slow and not happy about having to leave. (I lived with him for a year when he was about six-- I would never say he was "slow". Sheltered, most likely)

So, isn't the next step taking up arms??

Posted by: moocow ()
Date: March 28, 2008 11:12AM

Hello!
I have been fascinated with this group for a few years now. You see, the prophet's widow was a friend of mine, and I'm still struggling to understand what happened to her. I was the black sheep of my family, while she was an absolute angel, and then the next thing I know she has been swept off her feet to this madness. Or, maybe it's not complete madness...

You seem to have a good inside scoop on the situation. WHAT HAPPENED?? I heard rumors that she blind-dated the guy (John) and was married to him less than a week later. That is some pretty fancy footwork if it was brainwashing or whatever. And I thought that her parents had talked to the ex-wife a few times... enough to know that not everything was on the up and up with him.

I feel bad for her that he died, but she seems not to mind it at all...I guess he's supposed to be back (resurrected) sometime, so maybe that's why she's not upset. But he left her with three of his children and now she's due to have her 6th any time...and claims they're all his!

I just feel so bad, and helpless. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way, because she seems truly happy, but Like I said, I guess I'm confused.

Re: The Church of Elias (Thread resurection)
Posted by: taffkid ()
Date: November 07, 2009 01:46AM

Greetings,

I am seeking more information on the activities of the Church of Elias. It appears that the organization has, or is in the process of moving to Blackfoot, Idaho. The website for the church is registered to a James D. Armstrong who currently lives in Blackfoot and operates the Emergency Supply Depot in Blackfoot. I had the opportunity to speak to Armstrong. We did not discuss the church very much, but it seems that they are holding services in a room in the store as well as schooling children there.

Any information anyone can provide is appreciated. I am willing to speak off the board as well.

Date: November 07, 2009 02:20AM

moocow
Hello!
I have been fascinated with this group for a few years now. You see, the prophet's widow was a friend of mine, and I'm still struggling to understand what happened to her. I was the black sheep of my family, while she was an absolute angel, and then the next thing I know she has been swept off her feet to this madness. Or, maybe it's not complete madness...

You seem to have a good inside scoop on the situation. WHAT HAPPENED?? I heard rumors that she blind-dated the guy (John) and was married to him less than a week later. That is some pretty fancy footwork if it was brainwashing or whatever. And I thought that her parents had talked to the ex-wife a few times... enough to know that not everything was on the up and up with him.

I feel bad for her that he died, but she seems not to mind it at all...I guess he's supposed to be back (resurrected) sometime, so maybe that's why she's not upset. But he left her with three of his children and now she's due to have her 6th any time...and claims they're all his!

I just feel so bad, and helpless. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way, because she seems truly happy, but Like I said, I guess I'm confused.

I am sorry I didn't respond earlier. I never saw your post until someone emailed me today....
Her parents did speak with John's ex a few times, but not before they were married. They didn't meet her until after he died.

He brainwashed her. He told her that his ex was evil and would not let him see the kids. That was untrue and she even took them to the funeral.
I know his first wife.

The first three are from John. The others are from James Armstrong.
She is truly happy, but she has not known any other life other than what her deceased husband the Armstrongs have taught her. She has been fairly isolated since then, to my knowledge. I will find out more.

Date: November 07, 2009 02:33AM

Sorry, I didn't see this message until this morning when someone emailed me....

John was convincing and she was able to marry him after a short time. I don't know who introduced them. Brainwashing? Yes.

Her parents did talk to his ex wife, but not until after he died and they met her at the funeral. John had told them that she was hiding from him and would not let him see the children, which was untrue and she took all of them to the funeral (5), which included bringing one home from the Navy. There were other things he lied about -- he was never a seminary teacher.

The other children are by James Armstrong, who leads the church now. She will claim they are John's because the belief is that she is sealed to John and a "higher law" makes her children his, not Jim's.

I would like to think she is truly happy, but from my own experiences I have to believe she has doubt sometimes.

Date: November 07, 2009 02:40AM

taffkid
Greetings,

I am seeking more information on the activities of the Church of Elias. It appears that the organization has, or is in the process of moving to Blackfoot, Idaho. The website for the church is registered to a James D. Armstrong who currently lives in Blackfoot and operates the Emergency Supply Depot in Blackfoot. I had the opportunity to speak to Armstrong. We did not discuss the church very much, but it seems that they are holding services in a room in the store as well as schooling children there.

Any information anyone can provide is appreciated. I am willing to speak off the board as well.

The children have always been home schooled.
The oldest child is 28, next is about 26. I think they went to public schools only in Arizona and Colorado. John's widow has taught them ever since.

Date: November 07, 2009 03:37AM

Jaded
taffkid
Greetings,

The children have always been home schooled.
The oldest child is 28, next is about 26. I think they went to public schools only in Arizona and Colorado. John's widow has taught them ever since.

Correction!!
The oldest child, a boy, is going to be 21. The next, a girl, is 19. (Looked at the wrong notes and did the math wrong the first time!)

Posted by: moocow ()
Date: November 08, 2009 12:21AM

You said that she has not known any other life before being married to John and now the Armstrongs, with whom she is living. What about before that? She was a grown woman, going to college and making a life for herself. As I understand, the circumstances of her wedding were very sudden and questionable. So does she simply not remember her life before the brainwashing?

I met John several times before he died, and WHAT A KOOK! But, also very strong in personality. I never heard him say anything about being a seminary teacher, but he did say he served a mission, came home and "saw the error of his ways". He also "spoke in tongues" for us, and I had the hardest time not laughing out loud right in his face! It sounded like baby garble. Also, at one point, he mentioned something about having been in an accident and subsequently having a partial lobotomy. They don't do that anymore. Like I said, KOOKY. But, I can see why someone might defer to him, as he is a very forceful person. I've never met Mr. Armstrong, so I don't know anything about him. Is he just as strong as John was? Why is the widow not "waking up" if the source of her brainwashing is gone....unless the new husband is continuing the tradition? And if that is the case, why would he bother, since he is not in any place of "honor" since I gather that there can be no other prophet after John. Maybe he's just happy to have another wife?

And, if you don't mind my asking? How is it that you lived with the oldest boy when he was younger? You don't have to answer that if it is uncomfortable or to incriminating...just curious.

It seems like you have pretty constant communication with them. I've met with her several times, and I too see that she seems genuinely happy.
Anyhow, still very interesting to me. I think about the situation quite a lot.

Thank you for your time on this matter, I am glad to have stumbled across your blog.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.