Re: Universal medicine
Posted by: HerbertKane178 ()
Date: July 07, 2014 02:45AM

There's an interesting insight here in to Serge Benhayon, delivered through an email exchange between him and Jane Hansen, the journalist who wrote about the investigation in to the College of Universal Medicine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 31, 2014 12:57PM

Universal Medicine in the news again:

[www.dailytelegraph.com.au]

Date: December 20, 2014 08:12AM

Published on the NeuroLogica Blog:

Universal Medicine Uses Google To Silence Critics

Published by Steven Novella under Religion/Miracles,Science and Medicine,Science and the Media,Skepticism

Comments: 5

An Australian based company called Universal Medicine (UM) has been criticized by various skeptical blogs and groups as being a new age alternative medicine cult. Looking through their website, this seems like a reasonable observation. (The term “cult” is fuzzy, but many of the features seem to be present.)

In response to this criticism, UM has apparently issued many complaints to Google, claiming defamation. According to the site Chilling Effect, Google has responded at least in some cases by removing the sites from Google searches, effectively censoring those websites.

Doubtful News was one of the sites censored by Google.

This type of action represents a serious threat to the skeptical mission. Part of that mission is consumer protection, and the primary method of activism is public analysis and criticism of dubious claims, products, services, and organizations. Essentially, we expose charlatans.

Charlatans, it turns out, don’t like to be exposed. They don’t like bad press.

The best response to attempts at censorship through abusing policies against defamation or copyright violation, or through legal thuggery, is the Streisand effect. That is why I make a specific effort to amplify and skeptical criticism that others are attempting to censor.

The actions of Google, however, should also be examined in this and similar cases. It certainly seems as if they cave too easily to such complaints. I think it can be reasonably argued that free access to information is a critical right and resource for our society. It should not be surrendered lightly. Giving people the ability to so easily silence legitimate criticism in the pubilc interest is also highly problematic. Google needs to review its policies.

But let’s take a look at Universal Medicine. Doubtful News notes that in 2012 it’s founder claimed:

“I know more than any scientist in my inner heart … I know everything about the universe and how it works. I can answer any question about any mystery in the world, any mystery in the universe.” – Serge Benhayon’s message for the “New Era”, January 1, 2012

If you say such things you have to expect that some people will question whether or not you see yourself as a religious/cult leader.

Universal Medicine (demonstrating what many of at SBM have said for years – that there is a close connection between much of alternative medicine and new age religious beliefs) also offer a variety of “healing services.” Their signature service is called “Esoteric Healing.”

In a concise description, it can be said that Esoteric Healing brings the arrest of the ill energy that is causing the ill Will. It is the Will or, range of choices that one makes, that needs to be healed, if what lays at hand is a condition that needs healing. But, no Will can be changed or altered if the energy entering the body is not changed.

This is fairly standard new age nonsense – vague references to “energy” and the notion that your mind creates reality, therefore magic. They also offer “body work,” “Chakra-puncture,” “connective tissue therapy,” and “breast massage.” What do these kinds of interventions do? Most of you can probably make up equivalent claims just by shuffling around common new age terms. “Chakra-puncture,” for example;

…allow the body to configure back to a true energetic and physical harmonious state, and thus clearing the ill energetic and physical energetic state that the body is in.

What is their philosophy?

The esoteric principle is that we are love – innately and, unchangeably. The principles of the esoteric way of life date back to the oldest forms of knowledge and wisdom. Whilst ancient in their heritage, the principles of the esoteric life in human form have not out-dated themselves in relation to what is required of mankind to live in harmony and thus arrest any wayward conduct that does not build brotherhood within and amongst our communities everywhere.

But don’t worry. They’re not a cult. Apparently their love and brotherhood does not extend to their critics. For them they offer censorship and alleged bullying,

There are serious accusations against UM out there. Given the public information available, even on UM’s own website, such accusations need to be taken seriously. It seems a formal investigation is warranted. I am not in a position to judge the accusations here, but neither is Google, in my opinion. I’ like to see an official investigation.

There is also an issue of responsbile journalism here, something which has certainly been eroded by the ease with which anyone can create a blog. There can be a fine line between litigating an offense in the court of public opinion, and responsible journalism. I don’t pretend this is easy. Activist skeptics have to walk that line.

However – if you are in the public domain, by offering medical services, or making scientific or health claims, then you open yourself to public scrutiny and you are fair game for critical analysis. In the case of mystical and pseudoscientific claims, harsh and no-nonsense skeptical analysis and criticism is necessary and arguably in the public’s interest.

If you don’t agree with the criticism – then defend yourself with logic and evidence, not by silencing the criticism.

Source: [theness.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 08:25AM by HerbertKane178.

Date: December 20, 2014 08:14AM

Posted today on The Doubtful News Blog:

Web pages, including ours, deemed “critical” of Universal Medicine removed from Google Search results

by idoubtit • December 18, 2014 • 25 Comments

Well, well, well, looks like a certain alternative and controversial “esoteric healing” group was busy for a year or more trying to scrub their image on the internet. Doubtful News is one of many pro-consumer blogs that have reported information about Serge Benhayon’s questionable health treatments resulting in complaints to Google initiated by Universal Medicine (UM) and our URLs removed from Google search results.

Holiday reading – web pages censored by Universal Medicine | The FACTS about Universal Medicine.

For the past two years alternative medicine conglomerate and religion, Universal Medicine, has spammed Google with complaints of defamation. Some succeeded. The following is an incomplete list of URLs removed by Google from search results. It includes links to blogs, including this one, and links to news reports from major media outlets. So much for free speech and a free press in Australia.

The UM group is in Australia. Defamation claims have been made through Google, however, UM has not made any actual legal threats. Hmm, this seems a low-cost, low-risk, easy route to follow to manipulate your online reputation. Even though they seem to have lawyers at the ready, none of the websites received real legal threats. Other sites evicted from search results include many news reports on UM’s activities (including the reports we linked to in our FACTUAL stories). Also, Pharyngula (FTB), Museum of Hoaxes, the JREF forum, Reasonable Hank, and, naturally, “universalmedicineaccountability”, “factsaboutuniversalmedicine” and “universalmedicinecult”. They obviously dislike those sites.

I contacted Esther Rockett who clued us into this interesting news (since we were never informed we were acted against) to ask what can be done. She said there is no appeals process for Google’s actions. Google removes URLs by request without a court order in Australia, New Zealand and UK, but not in the U.S. I wonder why they were allowed to do this, since our site is US hosted and run. But the Internet is worldwide. However, it would take legal action on our part to return it to Google. I’m not going to do that – it’s just an entry in a search query, not the content itself.

Are they a cult? I have no idea. Depends on the definition you use and the truth of such allegations. Some think their religious leaning and practices strongly suggest this. But I don’t particularly care. I just think their treatment, such as esoteric breast massage, is questionable. But I am now going to engage the Streisand Effect by widely promoting the information that questions UM. And, I now think MUCH LESS of them for using such despicable tactics.

Incidentally, Esther notes that UM has not succeeded with a number of their complaints – probably the majority – and none in 2014. We posted this in August and it was not included on the removed list. Good news.

Thanks to Chilling Effects for their work in exposing parties that deliberately abuse Internet rules for their own agenda. Here is the complaint they found from Phoenix Global in January 2013 naming Doubtful News and others. Phoenix Global represents themselves thusly: “We are employed, and authorised to represent Serge Benhayon in relation to all risk services including internet defamation.”

Then they cite the various language they have problems with including the following:

[…] The site makes imputations that suggest Serge Benhayon is operating a cult. These comments are untrue, and not in the public interest. b. Serge Benhayon has never operated a cult. Serge Benhayon have not been charged, arrested, or convicted of any dishonesty offence. Serge Benhayon would not be involved with any offences of this nature. This content has been spread through numerous websites with the intention to defame Serge Benhayon. c. These comments are currently appearing on Google.com, Google.com.au, and Google.co.nz. The comments harm my reputation and cause damage to my business. Google.com.au: The publishers and distributors of this material would be liable for civil damages under the Defamation Act 2005 (Qld). Due to the possible retaliation, and threat to my safety caused by that the claims that in am engaged in criminal enterprises, this violates Criminal defamation sections of Criminal Code Act 1899 (Qld). Google.co.nz: These comments are in breach of the NZ Defamation Act 1992.
Liable for civil damages for citing a news source? These people are assholes.

Here is more on their tactics: Defamation claim or censorship – Universal Medicine’s complaints to Google This piece notes that UM legal got one blog taken down, but they reformed on WordPress. Granted, those blogs were far more egregious in their language and clear in their agenda against Benhayon’s model. But perhaps the high search return from blogs like ours in results was a factor for being targeted.

This is a good time to note the posts in question so you can see for yourself that we quoted the news reports that are not under any legal threat:

Universal Medicine movement called a ‘cult’, has unconventional treatments (Updated: Denied it’s a cult) [Notice we even give a link to their side of the story. I’d say that’s fair.]

Universal Medicine continues to be labeled “new-age cult” by some [But not by DN. I don’t make a judgement on this.]

Serge Benhayon | Doubtful News. [They also managed to block the URL for all searches on the site for his name.]

Check out this feature piece on Benhayon and his UM group [PDF]. He sure thinks a lot of himself:

“I know more than any scientist in my inner heart … I know everything about the universe and how it works. I can answer any question about any mystery in the world, any mystery in
the universe.”
– Serge Benhayon’s message for the “New Era”, January 1, 2012

Please share this post far and wide and reproduce as necessary (permission granted) to spread word that this is a cowardly and disgusting tactic that Universal Medicine representatives are using to block fair criticism and consumer information in Australia and New Zealand as well as hurting our hit counts world wide. I’m afraid it will become more prominent, affecting skeptical activism.

And if Google gets a complaint about this post, I am asking that they CONTACT ME (that should be the MINIMUM but this was never done) at editor@doubtfulnews.com and provide justification. This is entirely fair criticism with no libelous content or intent to defame anyone. It is to provide information from outside parties to consumers and interested individuals."

Source: [doubtfulnews.com]

Date: August 16, 2015 05:45AM

The Sunday Telegraph "Jane Hansen: How Universal Medicine bullied me" by Jane Hansen.

"T’S a quasi-religion which preaches love, light, positive energy and integrity, but dare question Universal Medicine and you’ll find yourself on exactly the opposite path.

It might seem like just another spiritual movement preaching ‘natural’ remedies, but Universal Medicine is different. It has the endorsement of one of Sydney’s leading paediatricians, Howard Chilton, and promotes itself as a complementary health provider presenting wellness workshops, presentations and one-on-one sessions aimed at treating ailments from cancer to autism.

The group, based in the northern NSW town of Goonellabah, closely guards its reputation, employing an internet reputation manager to have some critical blogs and media stories wiped from the internet and mount personal attacks on others who report on or complain about the group.

In the beginning, Serge Benhayon was a tennis coach, and a bankrupt, when he had what he calls ‘an energetic impress’ while sitting on the toilet in 1999.

Universal Medicine was born: its creator made up treatments like esoteric breast massage, ovarian massage and chakra puncture.

Mr Benhayon has no medical qualifications.

Lacking certification, Mr Benhayon set up the Esoteric Practitioners Association so his own students, who pay to learn the techniques from the College of Universal Medicine, can graduate with certification from his EPA.

Mr Benhayon said in a television interview that he made about $2 million a year from his courses and retreats.

In the same interview, he claimed to be the reincarnation of Leonardo da Vinci.

In his self-published book called The Way It Is, he writes that Leonardo da Vinci is a “Claimed Son of God”.

In another chapter he claims that skin colour evolution was a conscious choice and that Asians chose yellow skin ‘yellow signifies the intellect and “The pursuit of a lighter complexion arose when Black (sic) became erroneously identified with the Darkness (sic).”

In another book, Mr Benhayon claims that autism and Down syndrome are karma for past life sins.

One high profile follower is Sydney’s most famous paediatrician Dr Howard Chilton. Dr Chilton, the author of four best-selling baby books under his ‘Baby Doc’ moniker, spent 20 years as Director of Newborn Services at Sydney’s Royal Hospital for Women and now works as a neonatologist at the Royal, Prince of Wales Private Hospital and Sydney Children’s Hospital.

An angry Dr Chilton accused me of being a biased journalist and ‘not a fair critic’ when I called this week to ask about his support for UM, which extends to giving talks at UM-lead women’s health forums. He has also defended UM in a letter to the Medical Observer where he wrote: “Benhayon is a kind, honest and caring teacher of enormous integrity.”

Dr Chilton told the Sunday Telegraph he did not want to discuss Universal Medicine because it was a private matter that had nothing to do with his evidence-based profession.

“I don’t want to address this, I don’t want to be quoted by you,” he said before adding the beliefs of UM had “no bearing on conventional medicine.” Dr Chilton’s daughter Isabella is married to Benhayon’s son Curtis.

Byron Bay woman Esther Rockett has blogged about Universal Medicine since she had early dealings with group, including treatments by Benhayon where she felt uncomfortable.

With a degree in theology, she alleges the clean living, lifestyle-based teachings are mixed

with reincarnation and occult practices.

Followers are told to avoid foods with bad energy and even music is off the menu except for Benhayon-approved music by either Chris James, a business partner, or Serge’s son Michael. Classical music like Mozart and Beethoven are not approved.

When Ms Rockett — an acupuncturist — moved to Byron Bay late last year, an unnamed registrant bought the domain name acupuncturebyronbay.com.

When you Google for an acupuncturist in Byron, up comes the site, which warns people to avoid Esther Rockett.

“Byron Bay Locals Be Warned” the site says above a big picture of Rockett, whom it describes as ‘a cyber-bully’.

The signed names at the bottom of the site include several Universal Medicine members, but this is not disclosed.

“It’s an attack on my livelihood, I’m an individual with legitimate complaints and they

are (part of) a multi-million dollar corporation,” Ms Rockett said, adding she could not

afford to take defamation action.

The group has managed to have her Facebook shut down and Ms Rockett believes they may also have been responsible for her Twitter account being suspended.

She has received 150 notifications from Twitter that her account “may be suspended” for “abusive behaviour”.

She alleges UM members are bombarding twitter with complaints. Ms Rockett says she has only ever defended herself against tweets directed at her from UM.

Serge Benhayon and UM have also hired Internet Reputation Australia, associated with private investigator group Phoenix Global, to have critical blogs and posts about Universal Medicine removed from the net.

A total of 36 blogs have been removed. It also managed to have links to television stories, ABC radio reports and newspaper articles critical of UM, including stories by this journalist, removed from the internet.

“I have hired an Internet Reputation Group to assist in the removal of the lies and the offending material on the Internet,” Mr Benhayon said in response to our questions.

“My guess is that most would do likewise given the extent of the lies and the incessant need to have them believed by the beleaguered disparagers,” he said.

The Parliamentary Committee on the Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) conducted an Inquiry into “The Promotion of False And Misleading Health-Related Information and Practices” last year.

Universal Medicine was given a stinging critique by Professor John Dwyer from the Friends of Science in Medicine.

“The practitioners say they have the power to talk to a woman’s ovaries and learn about that; and they explain that all illnesses are due to past misdeeds in previous incarnations of your life,” he said.

Universal Medicine has been lobbying the local member Don Page to have this page from the report removed.

Lance Martin, a Bangalow-based businessman, has also been labelled a cyber-bully for airing his story where he alleged his marriage failed as a result of the group’s interference.

He has since been accused of being an abusive partner, which he vehemently denies, and his former business, an online hotel booking site, suffered after online publications repeating the allegation became associated with the name of the business.

“By keyword loading on the business name they attached these blogs about me and they do a lot of link sharing on Twitter and Facebook, whoever they are attacking and then Google starts ranking them higher and higher until it’s the first thing that came up when you googled my business.

“The blogs intimated I was an abusive husband, which is contrary to the facts.”

He had to close down the business.

Last June, I wrote a piece about Universal Medicine in The Sunday Telegraph.

The Office of Liquor, Gaming & Racing had received an official complaint regarding $500,000 Universal Medicine had raised using a charity licence to build the College of Universal Medicine on Serge Benhayon’s land.

LGA found it wasn’t their area of responsibility and dismissed the complaint.

Mr Benhayon was offered an interview but chose to not answer the questions in favour of berating me for posing them.

“If you are going to pillory me, as have the other scurrilous journalists before you, lies they chose to tell the public, why do you need me to comment?” he wrote.

After the article went to print, “The Facts” team turned their attention to me.

Google “Jane Hansen journalist” now and the first thing that comes up is a hate blog

from UM berating my ability as a journalist, lack of integrity complete with claims I

have a “murky past”.

They even used the death of my eight-month-old son in 2004 as ammunition against me.

“But would this life-changing moment signify fundamental change in how she works? Would it mean that she would take action to arrest harm if it would get in the way of a good story?”

Serge Benhayon tweeted this particular blog on the morning of the 10th anniversary of my son’s death – an incredibly painful day despite the years.

Another member, Neil Gamble, former CEO of Star City Casino even chimed in” the complete absence of professionalism on the part of Jane Hansen is obvious” he wrote.

Ironically, Gamble was embroiled in the cash for comment scandal in 1999, pinged for paying $250,000 to John Laws to make positive comments about the gambling business.

They accuse everyone one else of cyber bullying while embarking on a systematic, online pack hunt says Ira McClure who went public last year with her dealing with UM.

She has been vilified since with numerous comments from members.

“Ira McClure, absolute shame and disgust on you too to have enjoined this hunt of evil and wickedness against Truth and Love,” one member writes.

Ms McClure has seen her medical conditions discussed openly in the blogs by members she has never met.

“These vicious comments sicken and disgust me as they are from people who are ignorant of the facts. This journey has been riddled with many distressing events and these people with their twisted and bullying comments are just the icing on the cake,” she said.

Mr Benhayon said to his knowledge Ira McClure had never received any Universal Medicine treatments, yet The Sunday Telegraph has viewed her receipts from the practitioner she saw. She has taken her complaint to the Health Care Complaints Commission.

Mr Benhayon also denied any involvement in the blogs written by The Facts team saying “they are not ‘written on direction’ by me” he said, before defending the group’s right to do so.

“Exposing credibility is the right of every human being when lies are being written about one’s business, about them as a person along with many others who are targeted and, in this particular case, when the journalist who is supporting these lies refuses to correct them even when provided with the fact that the complaint YOU based your story on was baseless,” Mr Benhayon said.

Although Serge Benhayon denies he directs his ‘Facts Team’ on what to write, the Sunday Telegraph’s email sent directly to his address on Thursday March 5 was posted on “The Facts” site shortly after with six more blogs including “Jane Hansen Revenge Trail” and “Jane Hansen and Junk Food Journalism” complete with over 600 comments on my lack of integrity and professionalism.

The editor of this paper also received dozens of emails accusing us of being liars.

Date: November 29, 2015 12:08AM

The author of several blogs on UM is being being sued by the group for defamation. It's a clear case of a "SLAPP" law suit being used to try and shut down a critic. As she has little funds to defend herself from this multi-million dollar organisation, she has set up a legal fund. She needs $12,000 AUD in order to mount her defense. Please consider donating to her appeal here:

https://ozcrowd.com/campaigns/esther-rockett-legal-defence-fund/#.VlmlBmSrQnU

A blog post detailing the case can be found here.

Perhaps Mr Ross himself may consider a donation? The group has been very vocal in its criticism of him and this site. This is a chance to see them in court, and the proceedings become part of public record.

UM Leader Wins Case Over Devotee's Will
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 29, 2016 10:45PM

[culteducation.com]

Seth said his mother had a history of giving large sums of money to spiritual gurus, including one to whom she donated $3000 a month and helped buy an apartment after becoming involved with her in 2002.

Other information on Universal Medicine/Serge Benhayon in CEI archives.

[culteducation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 01:17AM by corboy.

Date: March 14, 2016 09:33AM

Australian Health Practitioner Regulatory Authority (AHPRA), with the Psychology Board of Australia places Universal Medicine promoting psychologist under conditional registration for breaching her professional code of conduct:

Health Practitioner: Miss Marianna Masiorski

Personal Details
Sex: Female
Languages (in addition to English):
Qualifications:
B PSYCH (HONS)(JAMES COOK)
Principal Place of Practice
Suburb: GOLDEN BEACH
State: QLD
Postcode: 4551
Registration Details
Profession: Psychologist
Registration number: PSY0001609005
Date of first Registration:
View definition of 'Date of first Registration' 24/04/1997
Registration status: Registered
Registration expiry date:
30/11/2016
Under the National Law, registrants are able to practise while their renewal application is being processed. Practitioners also remain registered for one month after their registration expiry date. If the practitioner's name appears on the Register, they are registered and can practise (excepting practitioners with a Registration Type of 'non-practising' or those with a condition which stops them from practising, or where their registration is suspended).
Conditions:
View definition of 'Condition'
On 21 December 2015, The Performance and Professional Standards Panel (the Panel) established by the Psychology Board of Australia (the Board) imposed the following conditions on the registration of Ms Marianna Masiorski (the Practitioner) under section 191 of the Health Practitioner National Law, as in force in Queensland (the National Law)

1. The Practitioner must meet with a supervisor for no less than two hours per calendar month for the period of twelve months from the date of the imposition of these conditions.

2. Within 28 days from the date of the imposition of these conditions, the Practitioner must nominate to the Board, an independent professional registered as a psychologist (“the Supervisor”)

3. The Supervisor must:
a. Hold an area of practice endorsement in clinical psychology;
b. Be senior to the Practitioner by either years of experience or by position;
c. Agree to the nomination;
d. Be provided with a copy of these conditions by the Practitioner; and
e. Be approved in writing by the Board.

4. The supervisor must focus on the Practitioner’s understanding of the Scientist-Practitioner Model, evidence based practice, the scientific nature of the psychology discipline and the established knowledge of the profession of psychology.

5. The Practitioner must provide reports written by the Supervisor to the Board, addressing the areas of concern in accordance with condition 4. These reports must be provided on the following occasions:
a. Every three months for the period of twelve months;
b. Whenever the Supervisor has a concern regarding the Practitioner’s work performance, conduct, competency or any other issues of concern; and
c. Whenever requested, verbally or in writing, by the Board.

6. Within 28 days from the date of the imposition of these conditions, the Practitioner must remove, or arrange to be removed, her articles “What’s love Got to Do with it?” dated 15 October 2013 and “Beyond Depression – An Effortless Approach” dated 6 May 2013 from the website ‘Medicine and Serge Benhayon website (http://medicineandsergebenhayon.com)

Source: [www.ahpra.gov.au]

Date: May 18, 2016 10:31AM

There's now a Wikipedia page on Universal Medicine:

[en.wikipedia.org]

It's a well written and factual article on the cult and also highlights some of the scrutiny that Universal Medicine has been subject to. Well worth a read and also worth sharing with family members and friends of loved ones who have been effected as it provides a good overview. It's a good place for newly affected people to try and understand exactly what this cult is all about.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: May 18, 2016 08:59PM

Get a screen shot of this Wikipedia article and or print a hard copy and date it.

Sometimes W pages may be modified at a later date.

[www.google.com]

[www.theatlantic.com]

* The "print screen" button is often on the row of buttons to the upper left
of the keyboard, just to the right of the F12 button.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.