suicidal new-ager
Posted by: notknow ()
Date: March 22, 2004 08:09AM

Someone very close to me is losing it and has been, for some time. She is not in a cult or even a group. She believes that "spirit" communicates to her through the radio, internet, newspapers... just about everything. She is paranoid and delusional, depressed and potentially suicidal. She has periods of lucidity where she can laugh about the idea that she's losing her mind but can never fully accept that that is likely the case and seek "traditional" treatment. She refuses to listen to any of us who are not "light workers" because we, "don't understand."

I'm looking to find others who have either been through this themselves (preferable) or watched loved ones go through something similar. Or, if anyone knows of people (psychiatrists, psychologists etc) who deal with this sort of thing as a specialty.

No doubt you can understand that I will be very appreciative for any help that can be afforded to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
suicidal new-ager
Posted by: Dervish ()
Date: March 22, 2004 11:33AM

Has she been checked for schitzophrenia?

(This post is not medical advice, but a question posed in a discussion forum dedicated to cults and related things)

suicidal new-ager
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 22, 2004 11:48AM

there are a number of conditions that can produce a combination of depression, paranoia, and sensitivity to paranormal events

Schizophrenia

Bipolar Affective disoder

Schizo-affective disorder, which combines features of the first two conditions--here is a URL

[www.noah-health.org]

and, possibly, major depression

These conditions each require different treatment strategies, and the only person who can sort that out is a psychiatrist who is skilled in diagnostics and who will be up to date on all the treatment protocols for each of these conditions

But your friend needs help. Dont get distracted by the 'spiritual' issues. That can come later. Right now, the risk for suicide is the most urgent matter for your friend and must take priority. I advise, first of all, getting advice from someone who is experienced at handling crisis calls at a mental health facility. That person may be able to coach you on general strategies to keep lines of communication open between yourself and your friend.

No matter how spiritually aware a person happens to be, that will do them no good if they are
suicidal, cant stay employed or housed, etc.
Rght now the most urgent issues are the suicidal ideation and mood, and the need for your friend to stay housed, healthy and employed. Once social networks are disrupted, they are difficult to repair.

The thing is for your friend to consult a psychiatrist who understands the interface between the psychiatric and the spiritual. A psychiatrist named Nelson wrote an excellent book on this whole subject entitled Healing the Split. He spells out the difference between mental disruption that is part of genuine spiritual breakthrough and syndromes that are not spiritual at all, but psychosis that require medical intervention.

Make it clear you love your friend and stay focused on the need to get professional help. Try and get advice from a social worker (they know how bureaucracy works, plus they have counseling skills) who also has ties to prescribing psychiatrists.

But, you have to take care of yourself, too. Dont let the person stay with you or visit you if you have any doubts about safety.

When push comes to shove, your limits have to be protected, especially if you are responsible for the care of young children.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.