Snake Handlers - Cult or Not?
Posted by: Brother John ()
Date: December 26, 2011 07:29AM

Hey all, I'm currently involved in a debate with someone at my church about this. That person happens to have family members who practice integrating serpents into their services. According to him, no one has ever been bitten before. However, I'm not sure how I feel about it. When I ask them what motivates them to believe the way they do, they always quote one scripture in particular. I actually sat their pastor down and had him explain it to me. You can watch my interview with him here:

[www.youtube.com]

So what do you all think, cult or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake Handlers - Cult or Not?
Posted by: AW Stevens ()
Date: December 29, 2011 08:14AM

The verse in Mark 16 refers to a situation where you -inadvertantly- encounter a snake.

Intentionally handling a a poisonous snake in a church service, comes under the principle of "tempting God" and "foolish behavior".

It's a cult.

Posted by: Bobsmith ()
Date: December 29, 2011 05:25PM

I plan to visit a chuch like that and see this. My Grandmother was mountain pentecostal and while the services were lively that branch didnt do snakes. Largely that abberation is based on a particular ending of Mark which while it is in the King James version has questiinable authenticity. Litrarily it doesnt fit. My inclination is that the original scroll of Mark was ripped in half and the second half was lost. Perhaps someone tried to sumarize what was in the lost portion and added the questioable text. Or you can select one of the other 2 endings. As far as handleing serpents. Luke 4:12 tells me not to test God so I don't jump off buildings or handle serpents. And people do die from doing this. If you can email me the church address i will go visit it next year! Thanks

Date: December 30, 2011 03:14AM

I believe that those verses are part of Scripture. Most scholars place them in the original Greek text.

I have heard of people dying from intentionally doing those things, namely handling snakes and/or drinking poison in a church service.

I would not attend a service where snakes were being handled ... that would come within the definition of 'tempting God'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 03:15AM by AW Stevens.

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: January 01, 2012 06:25PM

My old Catholic Bible had that scripture marked off as "possibly" being inspired. It stated in the footnote that it was not in many of the early non-English Bibles.

Date: January 02, 2012 12:04AM

Most scholars do NOT believe they are part of the original. Search the ancient greek texts. Misguided people aren't necessarily part of a cult.

Date: January 02, 2012 03:12PM

Bobsmith
Most scholars do NOT believe they are part of the original. Search the ancient greek texts. Misguided people aren't necessarily part of a cult.

Wrong.

Most Bible scholars DO believe they are part of the original. The vast majority of English translations include them as Scripture, only a few footnote them.

Date: January 13, 2012 09:25AM

Date: January 16, 2012 10:31AM

Bobsmith
http://www.allaboutworldview.org/mark-16-faq.htm

Notice that they make a bald claim without any citations.

The vast majority of current translations include those verses as Scripture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.